Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Suicide and Atheism

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Random Rapist

Profitable Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:01 pm
See religion tells us that suicide is wrong, and if we commit such a heinous act that we'll go to hell.
But what about those of us who don't believe in heaven/hell?
If we commit suicde we're simply erasing our exsistence,
which led me to believe if we have nothing to look forward to (even if it is hell...) why would we waste our one and only life?
Anyways, for this reason, do you think atheists are less likely to commit suicide?
What other thoughts do you have on atheism and suicide?

Discuss please.

I bring this thought up, because its the anniversery of my ex boyfriend's death; he commited suicide.
At the time when I believed in christianity, I had hoped that if I killed myself too, then I would maybe see him in death.
I'm glad I didn't do it, because now I realize the sad truth that there is no hope in ever seeing him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:46 pm
I would guess that atheists are more likely to commit suicide because yes, we are throwing away are one and only chance at life.
But without a God giving us a reason to live, what is the purpose?

Actually, now that I think about it, I think it depends more on the person and the fact that the person is atheist is factored in to their reasoning after they have made their decision about suicide.
I think optimistic people tend to lean towards the "This is my only life, I'm going to make it count!" reasoning and pessimistic people tend to use the "There is no profound 'reason of life', what's the point?" side.
At least, that's what I've seen when I've seen individual atheists argue their point.

But I do think that a lot of people live for their religion.
And people with blind faith seem to be happier.

And I'm sorry about your ex boyfriend. ):

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:18 pm
Suicide is for cowards.

It's the ultimate run-away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:47 am
Suicide is painless, it brings on many changes...
oops, sorry whee it's a serious problem.
I think that suicide is a final act in someone's life which is an effect of various possible reasons: decadence, stupidity, wisdom, being forced to it by circumstances... there are many possible reasons. In terms of philosophy you could say it's like negating your own existence, destroying a being, so it's a "metaphysical sin". And if one destroys itself it's even worse then killing someone else, but I don't find words to say why...
Still I think there is no way to justify it - throwing your life away never resolve your problems, it can only make them vanish. It's always a tragedy. A son of a person I know did it a few weeks ago, because of a serious mental illness. It was unnecessary. Sad, really sad. We should really "always look at the bright side of life", despite our visions on god's existence or nonexistence... If there's no god what's left for us if not just ourselves? wink  

Raticiel

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:26 am
People commit suicide for a number of reasons.
But is it good or bad?
Well, they consented to it, so who am I to say they can't?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:23 am
I think that a bus company in England put it best when they put "There's proboly no god so stop worrying and enjoiy life" on thier busses.

And Atheist do seem less likely to commite an act like scuicide becasue we belive that that would be the final end and not a new begining. I think the whole idea of an after life was the result of the natural human fear of death. After all, what belife would appeal more to the masses, "When you die it's the ultament end" or "When you die you will live forever with a magic dude in the sky and eat cake for all eternity". Despite how much I would like to belive that, Carl Segan was right when he said that we should learn all we can about the universe and not belive in delusions of grandure not matter how apealing those belifes are.  

Piroki-chan23

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:14 am
I think it depends on the depth of depression and how you feel about the people around you.

Without the influence of self-hating thoughts, I think most Atheists would be on the optimistic side, and would be less likely.

However, when you lose hope of life ever getting better, and feeling like you just make others' lives worse by continuing to live... I think you're more likely to do it, because God isn't going to send you to Hell for it.

I thought that I would do everyone a favor by throwing my life away, because I had been through so much treatment, hadn't gotten any better, and I knew I made everyone around me upset, so I thought that they might be sad for a while, but in the end they'd be better off. I'm glad I failed at that now, of course, but that's the sort of twisted logic that comes up.

And in my case, at least, although on the surface, it seemed like I was happier as a Christian... I wasn't really. Obsession with religion just masked my emotional problems, provided a crutch to get me by without addressing the real problem. Now, without God, I was able to recognize the problem and deal with it, and I'm happier than I ever was as a Christian.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:48 pm
alteregoivy
I think it depends on the depth of depression and how you feel about the people around you.

Without the influence of self-hating thoughts, I think most Atheists would be on the optimistic side, and would be less likely.

However, when you lose hope of life ever getting better, and feeling like you just make others' lives worse by continuing to live... I think you're more likely to do it, because God isn't going to send you to Hell for it.

I thought that I would do everyone a favor by throwing my life away, because I had been through so much treatment, hadn't gotten any better, and I knew I made everyone around me upset, so I thought that they might be sad for a while, but in the end they'd be better off. I'm glad I failed at that now, of course, but that's the sort of twisted logic that comes up.

And in my case, at least, although on the surface, it seemed like I was happier as a Christian... I wasn't really. Obsession with religion just masked my emotional problems, provided a crutch to get me by without addressing the real problem. Now, without God, I was able to recognize the problem and deal with it, and I'm happier than I ever was as a Christian.

Thats inspiring. 3nodding

The Random Rapist

Profitable Prophet

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:14 pm
The Random Rapist
alteregoivy

Thats inspiring. 3nodding

Well, thank you! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:52 pm
With the world being the way it is and with all the bullshit people have to deal with(some more than others), it's understandable to try to find a quick way out by suicide. But I belive if you don't need the crutch of religion, you would more likely to just man up and keep trying. This is the only life we got. If life gifes you a shity hand, play the cards your dealt and bluff like hell. If life gifes you lemons, throw them at ******** xenu). So never end your own life pre-maturly, because this is all we got.  

Kidrahs

The Random Rapist

Profitable Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:14 pm
Kidrahs
With the world being the way it is and with all the bullshit people have to deal with(some more than others), it's understandable to try to find a quick way out by suicide. But I belive if you don't need the crutch of religion, you would more likely to just man up and keep trying. This is the only life we got. If life gifes you a shity hand, play the cards your dealt and bluff like hell. If life gifes you lemons, throw them at ******** xenu). So never end your own life pre-maturly, because this is all we got.

wow. I like your way of putting it.
I feel the same.

and aww poor xenu.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:52 pm
Well, first off, your existence is not erased. We die, but we all leave behind an impact with our friends family and on the Earth.

Second, life becomes more important as we realize that this is the only chance we get to feel.

Also as I've stated before, why stop doing something just because of what happens at the end, we don't stop eating apples simply because at the end they'll become cores. If you like eating apples then continue eating apples.
If you enjoy the little pleasures in life, then live to enjoy them as much as you can.  

chemos32o8

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

I Am A Mountie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:51 pm
The Random Rapist
See religion tells us that suicide is wrong, and if we commit such a heinous act that we'll go to hell.
But what about those of us who don't believe in heaven/hell?
If we commit suicde we're simply erasing our exsistence,
which led me to believe if we have nothing to look forward to (even if it is hell...) why would we waste our one and only life?
Anyways, for this reason, do you think atheists are less likely to commit suicide?
What other thoughts do you have on atheism and suicide?

Discuss please.

I bring this thought up, because its the anniversery of my ex boyfriend's death; he commited suicide.
At the time when I believed in christianity, I had hoped that if I killed myself too, then I would maybe see him in death.
I'm glad I didn't do it, because now I realize the sad truth that there is no hope in ever seeing him.

I'm probably not going to comment for a while on the first part but; I'm so sorry about never seeing your boyfriend again. crying  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games