Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Is the glass of water half-full or half-empty? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you a(n)...
  optimist?
  pessimist?
  both?
  Free phood *NOM*
View Results

StevenStBlaize

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:53 am
I know, personally, I was BY FAR more depressed as a Catholic. Guilt tripping is one of Christianity's main fetishes. But the argument that Atheists are more prone to depression sounds very much like it was originally introduced by someone under the impression that it would be so due to a lack of religion. This, I believe, is untrue.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:17 pm
I usually drink the water soo...  

I Am A Mountie

StevenStBlaize

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:26 am
The Vanilla Bean
I usually drink the water soo...
Nice. Hahah. Thanks for that. blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:05 am
Wha? Hey! My glass was full!! Who's been drinking my water!?!?

...It was YOU, Vanilla Bean, wasn't it!? rofl

Anyway. I was also more depressed as a religious person, or at least struggling needlessly with it. But for the "average" citizen who doesn't struggle with out-and-out depression or who didn't get caught up in the extraordinarily guilt-ridden Catholicism or one of the more cult-like forms of Christianity, I can see how the platitudes of religion could help people comfort themselves into being happier, especially during times of grief.

But I don't think that's true happiness.  

alteregoivy

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:05 pm
I think if you asked all Atheists you'd find very little consistent data. I think there are many pessimist and optimist Atheists with no real majority leaning one way or the other.

However, for me, it was an up and down thing. I was depressed as a Theist because I was so conflicted with what the bible preached, then relieved when I realized these rules were false and I no longer needed to follow them, then depressed when I lost the illusions of magic, but then relieved once again when I found life was awesome even with out all the make believe.

I'd be willing to bet that Atheists who have always been Atheist, will be more optimistic, while those who were religious, depending on how long they have been Atheists and how much the morality of religion conflicted with their natural lifestyle, may lean pessimistic.

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
User Image

...without believing that a god exists to make
life better for us, find that sometimes life is just too harsh
to live on for, and ALSO we see all these idiotic bigots worsening
a bad situation by putting mental stress on innocent people
about going to hell and/or being gay is bad, etc, etc.
Like, (this is just me) don't you sometimes feel like the world is
just simply getting worse day by day?

User Image

As for this, it may seem like religion is getting worse, but remember, just 50 years ago, publicly admitting you are Atheist was like painting a target on you head. Also remember just a little over a decade ago were the cases the won to remove the ten commandments from schools. This new wave of religious fervency came as a direct result of 911. American society tends to go through religious and secular periods. Even now there are those who say that the reason why the religious community is getting so loud is because they are in decline, and not happy about it.

I'm very optimistic about the future of society, but if I dive into that, I'll be typing for another hour.
sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:22 pm
im a pessimiss because its a win win either youre right or you get a pleasant surprise  

my warpaint is sharpie

Eccentric Detective

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:32 pm
Ekeda
I say this: if the glass was in the process of being filled, it's half full. If it was in the process of being emptied, it's half empty.

3nodding That's about my philosophy. Yay smile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:46 pm
Ekeda
I say this: if the glass was in the process of being filled, it's half full. If it was in the process of being emptied, it's half empty.
That's what I have been saying for ever, like since I was 10. You must have stolen it from me mad grr...  

Prince Rilian

Marx Gant

Hilarious Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:30 pm
I think that some atheists are more prone to pessimistic traits than others, mainly because they are too logical and when emotion hits em; Bam, they don't know what to do. Some religious people can make it through pessimistic times by keeping a flame going that there is a god that will keep them safe.

Overall, it depends on how the individual is raised. If they have a lot of optimistic influences in their early years then they will most likely end up being an optimist. Vice Versa with pessimism.

As for the question: The pessimist says the glass is half empty. The Optimist says the glass is half full. The engineer says that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:33 pm
Depends on what you did with the glass.
Did you pour something into the glass or drain it?
It is just an action question if you look at it.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items