Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Flood?!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Was there a great flood?
  Yes
  No
  I don't know
View Results

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:53 pm
In many different religions and myths, there has been mention of a great flood? So did the flood really happen or did it not? And if there was a great flood then was it because it rained forever or is there really a supreme being?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:54 pm
well china being the oldest civilization, they have no record of a global flood wiping out all of humanity, and i think the pandas that lived in china were fine.  

Dark Lord Erebus

zen traveler

Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:33 pm
Doubt it. Geologists etc. would have found lots of proof of it if it really had happened.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:42 pm
Dark Lord Erebus
well china being the oldest civilization, they have no record of a global flood wiping out all of humanity, and i think the pandas that lived in china were fine.

Mesopotamia is actually the oldest civilization, they developed the alphabet that many languages use today (even China based their characters off of it) and they were the people in the beginning with all of the good crops and livestock that spread out towards the Middle East to Asia, Europe, North Africa and India.

and I don't know, maybe, probably not  

Mrithyu

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Mark Twain 100

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:06 pm
Hm? So is it a coincidence that many religious texts mention a flood?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:27 pm
LimeIzMyFaveColor
It's probable.
I mean, without science to put reason behind natural disastors, what better way to explain a flood better than "God/s did it."?
So I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of religions believed that floods were a manifestation of God's almighty power.
So floods are probably pretty common in religious texts.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Raticiel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:06 pm
LimeIzMyFaveColor
Yes, even "the religion of science" is scaring people with global warming blaugh I think flood is a huge disaster so it works good when you want to have influence on people.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:46 am
okie dokie ^ _ ^

((the reason why I asked was because my Ap Lit teacher mention something about that))  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:45 am
Actually, those flood myths pretty much all center around Mesopotamia, and there is evidence of a particularly bad year of the river(s) overflowing and flooding the area. I believe that Mesopotamia was surrounded by two different rivers, so the whole area was badly flooded, though I could be wrong. Still, remember, to those ancients, just a few miles was a really really long way away, so, to them, it was the whole world that was drowned.

In that sense, yes, there was a great flood. It just wasn't *as* great as religious nuts would have you believe.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:08 am
alteregoivy
Actually, those flood myths pretty much all center around Mesopotamia, and there is evidence of a particularly bad year of the river(s) overflowing and flooding the area. I believe that Mesopotamia was surrounded by two different rivers, so the whole area was badly flooded, though I could be wrong. Still, remember, to those ancients, just a few miles was a really really long way away, so, to them, it was the whole world that was drowned.

In that sense, yes, there was a great flood. It just wasn't *as* great as religious nuts would have you believe.

yea it's surrounded by the Tigres and the Euphrates river, but also the myth/s were probably written when there was still an abundance of icebergs so it may have been there was either a lot snow where they start or, if there were icebergs at the starting point, the icebergs began to melt rapidly  

Mrithyu

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:26 pm
A myth is usually just a myth considering it doesn't make sense.
First off, let's use the Christian story as an example.

God chooses a random person on Earth because he was " good. "
It was actually because he was oblivious to everything around him but that is besides the point...
God says he wants to kill everything on earth and tells this Bob the Builder to make a ship that can carry two of each species.
So that means two of every species of animals and insects.
Do you know how many different species of insects exist?
If you multiply our race by 10, you will have a fraction of that.
Then, you have the large animals.
How the hell could you feed all these creatures for more then a month on a giant boat?
Let's not forget that olar bears wouldn't leave their nice ice-bergs t cross a ******** desert for some SUPPOSED boat.

Anyways, to the details.
When could Noah ever build a boat? Actually, Noah herded animals, so he was no boat builder.
Even if he was, how could he find enough supplies to build a boat like this?
You would need about...as much would as it would be needed to reconstruct Los Angelous.
Then, assuming he made the boat and got the animals, how would the boat float?
Assuming the water'as density and the boats...it would most likely sink.
Here is another idea...how would the earth be repopulated?
All the humans are dead and only two remain just as Adam and Eve.
That would mean, just as Adam and Eve did, would have to interbreed just to start over.

Anyway, that is the idea.
The idea of a large rain could not exit just for that very simple reason.

Well....that and to have as much rain as that, it would have to already be there. Rain doesn't make itself, it needs water that already exists. So pretty much, a large amount of water randomly pours from the sky and reaches even over MT, Everest....which reminds me...the higher the elevation then the colder the climate.
Considering wooden boats aren't made for going straight into ice, the boat would have sunken.

So yeah, look at all those flaws.
I probably could have made 1 thousand more if I needed to.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:02 pm
Captain_Shinzo
A myth is usually just a myth considering it doesn't make sense.
First off, let's use the Christian story as an example.

God chooses a random person on Earth because he was " good. "
It was actually because he was oblivious to everything around him but that is besides the point...
God says he wants to kill everything on earth and tells this Bob the Builder to make a ship that can carry two of each species.
So that means two of every species of animals and insects.
Do you know how many different species of insects exist?
If you multiply our race by 10, you will have a fraction of that.
Then, you have the large animals.
How the hell could you feed all these creatures for more then a month on a giant boat?
Let's not forget that olar bears wouldn't leave their nice ice-bergs t cross a ******** desert for some SUPPOSED boat.

Anyways, to the details.
When could Noah ever build a boat? Actually, Noah herded animals, so he was no boat builder.
Even if he was, how could he find enough supplies to build a boat like this?
You would need about...as much would as it would be needed to reconstruct Los Angelous.
Then, assuming he made the boat and got the animals, how would the boat float?
Assuming the water'as density and the boats...it would most likely sink.
Here is another idea...how would the earth be repopulated?
All the humans are dead and only two remain just as Adam and Eve.
That would mean, just as Adam and Eve did, would have to interbreed just to start over.

Anyway, that is the idea.
The idea of a large rain could not exit just for that very simple reason.

Well....that and to have as much rain as that, it would have to already be there. Rain doesn't make itself, it needs water that already exists. So pretty much, a large amount of water randomly pours from the sky and reaches even over MT, Everest....which reminds me...the higher the elevation then the colder the climate.
Considering wooden boats aren't made for going straight into ice, the boat would have sunken.

So yeah, look at all those flaws.
I probably could have made 1 thousand more if I needed to.

well we kinda established that the "flood" happened in Mesopotamia, but I do agree, it is too fantastic of a myth to be real.  

Mrithyu

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Mark Twain 100

DracosPrinny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:54 am
The flood was already disproved on various sources on the web. My personal favorite would have to be thunderf00t's videos over on YouTube. He disproves a lot of those Creationist myths quite nicely.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games