Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
God creating life?...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FuzzBall 005

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:40 am
I was just thinking about how people say god created all life...isnt there something else he/she could be doing with his.her time...if I was god I would have made a chocolate bar that tastes like four kind of cheeses and makes you high...I would be sooooooo occupied with that..  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:45 am
Lol well, one could argue "We can't comprehend the flawless mind of a perfect Supreme Being" so maybe making life was something god wanted...
Kind of digressing here but could someone answer this for me?

How come so many Christians believe in God's omniscience and whatnot but if God was omniscient, why did he make Adam and Eve knowing ahead of time that they'd bring sin into this world? Also, why'd he create Satan knowing he'd rebel and cause so much trouble in the universe?

I always feel like I'm missing something when I think about this since it sounds too lame on the part of Christianity to be true.  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

FuzzBall 005

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:53 am
D i v i n i t y
Lol well, one could argue "We can't comprehend the flawless mind of a perfect Supreme Being" so maybe making life was something god wanted...

How come so many Christians believe in God's omniscience and whatnot but if God was omniscient, why did he make Adam and Eve knowing ahead of time that they'd bring sin into this world? Also, why'd he create Satan knowing he'd rebel and cause so much trouble in the universe?

I always feel like I'm missing something when I think about this since it sounds too lame on the part of Christianity to be true.

See the reason he put the tree of forbidden knowledge right there was becuase his wife was all "Clean out the garage" and he was all "But the games on" and she was all "What game?" and then he was looking around his house and saw a foot attached to a ball he made and said " uhhh the....feetball game thats it!" and she was all "Bull now go clean the garage" and he didnt have a spot for the tree so he put it there in the garden. biggrin sry it isnt a serious answer but im hyped up on sugarsugarsugarsugar  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:58 pm
FuzzBall 005
D i v i n i t y

See the reason he put the tree of forbidden knowledge right there was becuase his wife was all "Clean out the garage" and he was all "But the games on" and she was all "What game?" and then he was looking around his house and saw a foot attached to a ball he made and said " uhhh the....feetball game thats it!" and she was all "Bull now go clean the garage" and he didnt have a spot for the tree so he put it there in the garden. biggrin sry it isnt a serious answer but im hyped up on sugarsugarsugarsugar

... That actually makes more sense than Christianity's own explanation. rofl  

DracosPrinny

Raticiel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:35 pm
Well, most christian philosophers justify it like this: if god is the greatest being of all, and if "being" is "good", than he has to create the world. That is often criticized because it steals god's free will.

I like Leibniz's view on this the most: every time something odd or very nice happens to me, or I can't really explain something good that happened, I tend to say "that's because we're living in the best world of all possible worlds!" rofl

That's just a part of christian mythology. And another way to explain the world.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:02 pm
Oh man, if I could create life I would be all over that.
It's like an ant farm with intelligent beings...
Toiling away, trying to add meaning to their ultimately meaningless lives, killing in my name.
Not that I have a complex or anything...

Seriously, that would be so cool and I can't think of a better use of anyone's time.
Incredibly cruel though...
But interesting.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Eccentric Detective

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:28 pm
brainnsoup
Toiling away, trying to add meaning to their ultimately meaningless lives, killing in my name.

Seriously, that would be so cool and I can't think of a better use of anyone's time.
But interesting.

I so agree. It would be like a TV drama and you get to decide what happens, but the best part is, you don't have to write the script.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:59 pm
tearingXheavenXdown
brainnsoup

But interesting.

I so agree. It would be like a TV drama and you get to decide what happens, but the best part is, you don't have to write the script.
And that's why "The Sims" were created...  

Raticiel

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 pm
Raticiel
tearingXheavenXdown
brainnsoup

But interesting.

Haha, I was just thinking that!
Proves that I would be a terrible god though...
When I was a kid and I would get bored with my sims I would tell them to cook dinner with no experience points...
Or send them for a swim and remove all of the ladders once they got in...
Or tell them to set off fireworks in the living room...

But I love studying and analyzing people in my own isolated little spec of the world.
Just being able to study human behavior on a global level and watching them learn and create these cultures and dogmas, being able to see it all grow right in front of me, that would be so cool.

Yeah, I would totally create life if I were God.
It's not like you have to take care of them.
That's probably the cruelest thing about the idea that God created life.
He put us here then just watched us as we killed eachother and established dominion over our own?
His other creations?
Yeah, real kind and merciful god...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:28 pm
i think humans made up god because they need leadership and guidance and hope but i don't think he actually exists but "he" helped a lot of people just for pretending to be there  

Birdie_18

4,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Raticiel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:48 pm
brainnsoup
Raticiel
tearingXheavenXdown
brainnsoup

But interesting.

When I was a kid and I would get bored with my sims I would tell them to cook dinner with no experience points...

But I love studying and analyzing people in my own isolated little spec of the world.
Just being able to study human behavior on a global level and watching them learn and create these cultures and dogmas, being able to see it all grow right in front of me, that would be so cool.

He put us here then just watched us as we killed eachother and established dominion over our own?
His other creations?
Once upon a time I've made a bunch of babies with a couple of sims and I was wondering how much of them they could take care of in the same time cool

I think that's why the term "free will" was ever estabilished in religious systems - god gave us free will (of course because he loves us so damn much) and that's only our fault the world looks like it looks right now. That's why I could never understand kalvinism and jansenism: if our lives are predestined than why does this have to look like this? Wouldn't it be better if all people were good? And thinking about this makes no sense to me...
However I still like Leibniz's pre-estabilished harmony, but only as a part of his metaphysics.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:48 pm
Raticiel
brainnsoup
Raticiel
tearingXheavenXdown
brainnsoup

But interesting.

His other creations?
Once upon a time I've made a bunch of babies with a couple of sims and I was wondering how much of them they could take care of in the same time cool

I think that's why the term "free will" was ever estabilished in religious systems - god gave us free will (of course because he loves us so damn much) and that's only our fault the world looks like it looks right now. That's why I could never understand kalvinism and jansenism: if our lives are predestined than why does this have to look like this? Wouldn't it be better if all people were good? And thinking about this makes no sense to me...
However I still like Leibniz's pre-estabilished harmony, but only as a part of his metaphysics.
XD Sometimes I would wait until one of them entered a room and use a cheat to remove all of the doors.
And when death would come I would use the same cheat to build little walls around him.
He always dissapeared by morning...

I had a similar thought when I was a kid.
If God knows everything, then wouldn't he know whether we're good or evil already?
Why does he have to test us with this mortal world?
Or why not just make us all good?

And if it's because he wanted us to have free will, why does he punish us for using it?

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:57 pm
brainnsoup
Raticiel
brainnsoup
Raticiel
tearingXheavenXdown
brainnsoup

But interesting.

His other creations?

XD Sometimes I would wait until one of them entered a room and use a cheat to remove all of the doors.
And when death would come I would use the same cheat to build little walls around him.
He always dissapeared by morning...

You guys are twisted. But I'd be a hypocrite if I commented any further. XD  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces