Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
Hello Fellow RE Fans! Got a minute? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:20 pm
Well, yeah, but I believe that if that fan is dedicated to the original plot, they will do what they can to experience it as much as possible. If they don't have money, then maybe watching the cinematics will suffice, even though I'm the kind of person that would isolate myself from them entirely until I did have a chance to actually play them.

So, if I only played Silent Hill 4 and Homecoming... I wouldn't dare watch the cinematics for Origins, 1, 2 or 3, I'd wait until I got an actual chance to play them. And it's no big deal, because I don't have to have the title of a true fan right away.

Take another example. My favorite band right now is Dream Theater. I only really got into them recently. I have three of their albums, and I can't get enough of their awesome music. But that's 3 out of 9 albums. And even though they're my favorite, I don't consider myself a true Dream Theater fan. Not until I get at least 8 of their 9 albums and at least one DVD. That's how it is for me. And it's no big deal. Yes, I don't have the money to buy all their albums right now. And yes, WHEN I do, I will get all their albums, one by one, legally, because I need to have the CD and the insert and all that. But until then, I don't have the means to be a true Dream Theater fan. It's no big deal, I don't need that status. I can wait.
But if there was a guild, and it said, "For true Dream Theater fans only," on it, I wouldn't apply, no matter how well I can bullshit my way into it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:30 pm
Well I guess what it boils down to is people's preference of what they consider a "true" fan. People can be fans in their own way so *shrugs* Oh well. I don't really care either way. Its just a game anyway, its not like its politics or anything.

How about this, we'll just put it into two categories.....

A Fan: A person who loves a series and knows it pretty well.

A True Fan: A person that has been there since the beginning, a veteran, and continues with the franchise either liking all the sequels or not.

So I'll consider myself a fan. razz Aside from RE, the series I've been a True fan of is Halo, Guild Wars, Knights of the Old Republic, Silent Hill (mostly), Legacy of Kain, F.E.A.R. and a few others. But anyway....

As for Wesker I love DC Doulgas's voice and Richard Waugh's voice almost equally, though I do prefer DC's. And for a character as cool as Wesker, I'd prefer to know the background behind them...the story behind the man and how he became what he is. For him to be in such secret kills the experience for me on the character. But apparently again, this is yet another personal preference of opinion that can't be argued. Some people prefer him hidden like you do, but for people like me, I prefer the vice versa. Oh well. lol

I've been dieing to have RE 5 and since RE 4 was the first in the series I played, naturally I wanted RE5 it to be my next game to buy. I'm a huge fan of technological jumps as well. I love seeing the advancements in graphics so it sorta kills my taste for older games BECAUSE they're not as technologically advanced in graphics so sue me XD I'm not saying older games in general are crap because of graphics, its more of I guess I'm spoiled by today's advancements? lol

You say to buy the first games first...well for me I didn't even get into the series or had a PS2 until 2008. I got a hell of a late start and keep in mind I didn't give a damn about anything that dealt with zombies, be it game or movie. Hence the 4th catching my interest because of all the good reviews it got. Once I loved it THEN I started to consider the older games. I did the exact same for the Devil May Cry series.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:50 pm
Well, I'm a true fan of true Resident Evil. I hate RE4 and all that came afterwards, and I won't bother with the future RE games unless it's a total reboot and it's actually good. But since I don't consider RE4 and all that other stuff TRUE Resident Evil, I don't really care. I'm a Resident Evil purist. That's what it comes down to.

But either way, the thing is, I hate, hate, HATE spoilers with a passion. So the odd time when I get into a series in the middle, I'll do everything I can to catch up to the older games first as quickly as possible, before moving onto the next one. Otherwise, I can't play it, because I know it'll be spoiling something from the previous games.

Oh, and for the record. To me, video games are more important than politics. I couldn't care less about politics. So that was a bad comparison.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:02 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Well, I'm a true fan of true Resident Evil. I hate RE4 and all that came afterwards, and I won't bother with the future RE games unless it's a total reboot and it's actually good. But since I don't consider RE4 and all that other stuff TRUE Resident Evil, I don't really care. I'm a Resident Evil purist. That's what it comes down to.

But either way, the thing is, I hate, hate, HATE spoilers with a passion. So the odd time when I get into a series in the middle, I'll do everything I can to catch up to the older games first as quickly as possible, before moving onto the next one. Otherwise, I can't play it, because I know it'll be spoiling something from the previous games.

Oh, and for the record. To me, video games are more important than politics. I couldn't care less about politics. So that was a bad comparison.

Its not a bad comparison at all. That's just my opinion lol. You don't have to agree with it. The point I was trying to get at is that video games aren't going to make my lively hood unless im IN the gaming industry, otherwise they're just a a luxury and not to be taken so seriously.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:07 pm
Yeah, but where's the fun in that? That's what separates true fans from ones who aren't. You gotta love something strong enough to have long multiparagraphed discussions and debates about it. It's what separates games from movies. I love the movie industry and am getting into it, but I find it difficult to watch a movie, and then afterwards, start delving into the characters' pasts, origins of whatever drives the plot.
Games are so much deeper, and have so much more potential for discussion, debate and contemplation.
In fact, that right there, is a big enough middle finger to anyone who says that games rot one's brain. Scientifically it's been proven not to be true. And that's partially why.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:28 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Yeah, but where's the fun in that? That's what separates true fans from ones who aren't. You gotta love something strong enough to have long multiparagraphed discussions and debates about it. It's what separates games from movies. I love the movie industry and am getting into it, but I find it difficult to watch a movie, and then afterwards, start delving into the characters' pasts, origins of whatever drives the plot.
Games are so much deeper, and have so much more potential for discussion, debate and contemplation.
In fact, that right there, is a big enough middle finger to anyone who says that games rot one's brain. Scientifically it's been proven not to be true. And that's partially why.

I think you were speaking in general on that last statement because I never said that games rot people's brains. In fact I also find it bullshit that anyone talks crap about games in that fashion. Some games I have to admit though truly have no purpose or story other than just hack and slash. And separation of games and movies? How are they a separation other than the obvious fact that one is playable and one you just watch? I'm a HUGE movie buff in the sense that I just LOVE movies. There are plenty of movies out there that bring up controversial subjects or touch basis on them and could be talked about and debated in depth. There are some tv shows' that do that too. Like House for instance. Dr. House's view on life itself brings up tons of conversational topics. So maybe I'm misunderstanding you here, but that's my take on it.

Haha you know for now being a random thread, this is lasting pretty good xD I'm only able to hold up a conversation about something if I have a lot of knowledge and passion for it, as you said. Anyway I'm going to head out for tonight and play some RE. ill tty guys some other time ^_^  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:36 pm
Well, maybe it's just me, then. But even though one of my favorite shows is Lost, and Lost is like, one of those shows that just piles on the mysteries, I find it hard to just sit down with someone and say, "So, what do you think about that mystery? Who do you think that guy really is? What do you think that guy's real agenda is?" And discuss that.
But if we're talking about games, and this isn't even all games, either, but deep games, like survival horror games with files and lost of background information and stuff, I could discuss them for ages.

It's just because a video game is interactive, like, you take part in it, that it's that much easier to delve into that artificial universe and just be able to believe it. Like, with movies, it's passive participation. You watch it, but you're not there.
With video games, you ARE there, and it's like, suddenly you see something like, a letter from some guy in RE, and you start wonderng, "I wonder what that guy was like. What his family was like. Whether one of the characters in the game, or their friend might've known this person..." Even though the writers probably didn't give it half a mind.
But I can't do that with movies and TV. Not unless I'm the actor. But that obviously because then my part is, again, active, not passive.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:37 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Well, maybe it's just me, then. But even though one of my favorite shows is Lost, and Lost is like, one of those shows that just piles on the mysteries, I find it hard to just sit down with someone and say, "So, what do you think about that mystery? Who do you think that guy really is? What do you think that guy's real agenda is?" And discuss that.
But if we're talking about games, and this isn't even all games, either, but deep games, like survival horror games with files and lost of background information and stuff, I could discuss them for ages.

It's just because a video game is interactive, like, you take part in it, that it's that much easier to delve into that artificial universe and just be able to believe it. Like, with movies, it's passive participation. You watch it, but you're not there.
With video games, you ARE there, and it's like, suddenly you see something like, a letter from some guy in RE, and you start wonderng, "I wonder what that guy was like. What his family was like. Whether one of the characters in the game, or their friend might've known this person..." Even though the writers probably didn't give it half a mind.
But I can't do that with movies and TV. Not unless I'm the actor. But that obviously because then my part is, again, active, not passive.

ah i see what your saying now. i was wondering what you meant before and now its all clear :3 and now i can't think of anything else to talk about xD  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:25 pm
Well, it seems that like Capcom's integrity in 2004, this thread has reached its expiration date. Someone needs to contain it. Come on, mods. Hop to it!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:03 pm
true this thread should be contained, and liek I said before If I wsw a mod this thread would've been contained long ago*hint*. I don't know I wouldn't mind being a mod since it seems that there are some situations that require the attnetion of a mod, but is not done. Anyways, I respect Saint's choices, especially being a big fan of Silent Hill, also liking F.E.A.R. (Sadly I never did get to finish it, due to the fact that when I was playing it my cousin's son owns the Xbox360, but now I'm no longer living in my cousin's house.) for that I think it's ok for her to be in the guild, jsut wish her opinion about RE would be different that's all.  

Alkaizer87

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:53 pm
So this discussion should be in the Grill... But I'm definitely gonna put in my two cents there. razz

Alk, you're not a mod. Leave it to us. It was just a late response 'cause I've been seriously busy at school.

Thread Contained!  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces