Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
A world without religion. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Well?
  Better
  Worse
  Similar
View Results

Raticiel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:00 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Raticiel
I'm afraid a world without religion is something impossible as long as there are people. It lies deep within human nature to search for something transcendental. It could be slightly different if people were immortal, because it's probably the fear of death which made people of so many isolated cultures making up mythologies and cults. It's a complicated anthropological problem and I guess it still hasn't been resolved.

Also, without religion there wouldn't be science and we couldn't be able to chat here like this blaugh

Not exactly. Even if the greatest of scientist were Christian doesn't mean we wouldn't have science. That is a large assumption that may or may not happen if this variable was destroyed.
Have you ever heard of pitagoreans? (I don't know how to properly write their name in english, pardon me redface ) They were some sort of sect, a popular religious movement AND the birthplace of science. The "scientific method" was a part of the cult, "obtaining knowledge" was necesarry to be cleansed etc. You get the idea.

Also, not only many scientists were christians, but many wanted to deny religion with science, so it was an important stimulation. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:28 pm
User Image
Raticiel
Captain_Shinzo
Raticiel
I'm afraid a world without religion is something impossible as long as there are people. It lies deep within human nature to search for something transcendental. It could be slightly different if people were immortal, because it's probably the fear of death which made people of so many isolated cultures making up mythologies and cults. It's a complicated anthropological problem and I guess it still hasn't been resolved.

Also, without religion there wouldn't be science and we couldn't be able to chat here like this blaugh

Not exactly. Even if the greatest of scientist were Christian doesn't mean we wouldn't have science. That is a large assumption that may or may not happen if this variable was destroyed.
Have you ever heard of pitagoreans? (I don't know how to properly write their name in english, pardon me redface ) They were some sort of sect, a popular religious movement AND the birthplace of science. The "scientific method" was a part of the cult, "obtaining knowledge" was necesarry to be cleansed etc. You get the idea.

Also, not only many scientists were christians, but many wanted to deny religion with science, so it was an important stimulation. wink

Wrong. With or without this sect/religious movement, science will happen eventually anyway. Sooner or later someone will get to it. If Edison didn't invent the light bulb, someone else would have. If Columbus didn't discover America, someone else would have. If Newton didn't theorize about gravity, someone else would have. Just as you said a world without religion is impossible as long as there are people, a world without science is also impossible as long as there are people. It lies deep within human nature to be curious, to think and study about the environment around us. Being religious has nothing to do with it.

Back to the topic: I doubt the world would be too different without religion. Sure, it's one less reason to fight, but that's one reason subtracted from infinity. We have far too many differences to not fight each other. Good people will still be good people, bad people will still be bad people, period.

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Raticiel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:11 pm
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
User Image
Raticiel
Captain_Shinzo
Raticiel

Wrong. With or without this sect/religious movement, science will happen eventually anyway. Sooner or later someone will get to it. If Edison didn't invent the light bulb, someone else would have. If Columbus didn't discover America, someone else would have. If Newton didn't theorize about gravity, someone else would have. Just as you said a world without religion is impossible as long as there are people, a world without science is also impossible as long as there are people. It lies deep within human nature to be curious, to think and study about the environment around us. Being religious has nothing to do with it.

Back to the topic: I doubt the world would be too different without religion. Sure, it's one less reason to fight, but that's one reason subtracted from infinity. We have far too many differences to not fight each other. Good people will still be good people, bad people will still be bad people, period.

User Image
But of course you're right! All I want to say is that this "curiosity" gives birth to both science and religion and they're always somehow connected, there cannot be a human being without searching for that special something, no matter if it's god, knowledge about world's origin, meaning of life and so on. Alongside with them comes philosophy, asking, doubting. Today science is trying to answer the questions of philosophy and religion. I find all these products of human as having one source.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff