Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Study (Research)
Thelema

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

XarxesLeviathan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:51 pm
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.

Okay, I have read Liber Al vel Legis, and I agree with the core conept of Thelema which is True Will. I want to learn what I can do to grow and become a real Thelemite. What are some of the practices? What are some good starter rituals that I should study and learn? Questions like that, any help would be greatly appreciated

Love is the law, love under will.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:55 am
I would recommend studying both the Lesser Banishing ritual of the Pentagram and the Lesser Banishing ritual of the Heptagram strongly and then try the Star Ruby and the Saphire Ritual. The Latter two are rituals that Crowley invented that he feels are stronger than the original (and boy does that Star Ruby do it in if you do it right).

Then I would recommend reading everything on Crowley and the OTO. If you can, try and find an OTO lodge in your area. I was surprised to find one close to me (not that I practice it). So they are there.  

Cunning Witch Angus

Nattfodd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:00 am

Alternatively I don't suggest trying any of the rituals until you can be more precise in them to begin with. Check out your local OTO body, read the materials on the A.'. A.'. reading list and maybe even join up with the A.'. A.'. if interested.

My recommended next step in reading is Book Four by Crowley or Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson.

If you can find it, a used copy of Magick Without Tears will do you well. Also the Thoth Tarot and the Book of Thoth by Crowley are good things to work with on the side.

93 93/93  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:27 pm
XarxesLeviathan

Okay, I have read Liber Al vel Legis, and I agree with the core conept of Thelema which is True Will. I want to learn what I can do to grow and become a real Thelemite. What are some of the practices? What are some good starter rituals that I should study and learn? Questions like that, any help would be greatly appreciated

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law

Start working on Asana and Pranayama. Just simple steps, nothing complicated.

Also, learn the Star Ruby Ritual. Very important for Thelemites. LBRP works too, but I like Star Ruby.

Liber Resh, read it.

Nattford and Arcanist are very good helpers locally on Gaia, although like they said you'll want to check our the O.T.O body nearest you or A.:A.; if possible.

I'm also here for you if you'd like.

A site I found that will do wonders:

A.;A.; Reading List, many online publications for easy use

Love is the law, Love under will.

Mihi Cura Futuri  

Jokoria17

5,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

XarxesLeviathan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Thank you all very much for your advice. Now I only have one more question, what is the difference between the O.T.O and the A.'.A.'.?
Is one better than the other? Which one did Crowley himself prefer?

93 93/93  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:32 pm
XarxesLeviathan

Thank you all very much for your advice. Now I only have one more question, what is the difference between the O.T.O and the A.'.A.'.?
Is one better than the other? Which one did Crowley himself prefer?

93 93/93

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Sorry for the late reply! Didn't see this thread had been updated...

Well, how shall I explain this one...?

Both are teaching "schools" you could say, of Thelema. But the A.:.A.:. is a more individual, solitary thing than the O.T.O (Think loosely of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, Thelema style.) You interact only with your superior (idealistically) and do most of the work on your own.

O.T.O is more of a Thelemic...I'd like to say worship group but not everyone takes religion from Thelema, only those like myself...more social. Group oriented. Usually local areas, particularly in the U.S. It's like a temple/interest club, depending on your view of the religiousity of Thelema.

You can be in both at the same time. No problem there.

There's also the E.G.C: Eclesica Gnostica Catholica. Very RELIGIOUS aspect of Thelema. Imagine , again loosely, the Catholic Church with Thelema instead of Christianity. (Even though the two groups aren't affiliated at all, "Catholic" or not) This is more of an O.T.O thing than an A.:.A.:. thing, but if it doesn't float your boat it's not a requisite thing.

Then there's other smaller groups as well. These are the "biggies" though.

I dunno if there was a preference in Crowley's mind. You'll have to ask him. No I'm not sure of how to do that with the dead man's ashes. And is preference really all that important? It's your will and your life.

The guild is slow, I don't check it often. If you wish to email me do so at kileedrifter@yahoo.com...I still maintain PMing Arcanist and/or Nattfodd. (WHY ALWAYS WITH MY "FORD"? HE STRIKES ME AS A CHEVY GUY ANYWAYS!)

It's just faster. Don't worry, no one has lost interest in you. I simply forgot to look.

Mihi Cura Futuri  

Jokoria17

5,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Cunning Witch Angus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:06 pm
"Eat and Ye shall be wise." Said the Serpent unto Eve.

Didn't Crowley create the A.:.A.:.? The O.T.O was already in place, Crowley just expanded it and refurbished it as it were.

I could be wrong, my history on the Thelema is kinda rusty.

And behold! Man was born into Consciousness. Hail the Source Eternal! Hail the Master of the Wise!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:55 pm
Arcanist Angus
"Eat and Ye shall be wise." Said the Serpent unto Eve.

Didn't Crowley create the A.:.A.:.? The O.T.O was already in place, Crowley just expanded it and refurbished it as it were.

I could be wrong, my history on the Thelema is kinda rusty.

And behold! Man was born into Consciousness. Hail the Source Eternal! Hail the Master of the Wise!

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Yeah about the A.:.A.:. I'm sure he did. He based it off the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn (there are striking similarities between the two; came upon Thelema myself while studying Golden Dawn history)

As for the O.T.O....I'll have to look into that. Good question. Kudos.

Jokoria17

5,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Kuroitchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:15 am
XarxesLeviathan

i would advise you to study some other systems before you commit yourself to thelema. ex-thelemites say that it leads you in circles away from the truth and light.  
The Study (Research)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games