Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Prayer at the flag pole

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:09 pm
Alright, so I never thought this sorta thing would happen in my school, BUT IT DID! I was riding the bus as usual and I noticed there are a bunch of people outside circling the flag pole. There was a guy with a microphone with two speakers and they very obviously were praying. Now I know this is supposed to be the loop hole in not having prayer in school but its just so weird. Why do people have to pray so publicly at all? Even when I was a theist I would never do such a thing.

Has this happened to anyone else in this guild? And also, do you feel this sorta prayer is just a tad excessive?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:19 pm
Some people feel the need to express their religion in public. This usually makes them arrogant asses considering they shouldn't be doing s**t like that anyway. Especially since classes are about to start and they are holding it up.
How would the Hindus and others feel if they saw this?
I mean, really, it is bad enough I have to hear people complaining about telling everyone their Atheist yet s**t like this, along with other things like churches and parades, are held all the time.
I see some hardcore hypocrisy are in here.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:40 pm
I see no problem with it.
I know there shouldn't be religion in schools, but if some students feel the need to express themselves through prayer, they should be allowed to.
They're not doing it in malice or spite.

Of course, I say this is fine as long as the school is equally supportive of all religious practices that don't harm other students.

Of course, there should be no rules made by the school regulating religious practices or even allowing them...
But if a group of students feel moved enough to pray or it helps secure their connection to God in their minds, who are we to tell them they can't because it's againts the rules?

There's a fine line though...
Like if a student wishes to pray before a meal in the cafeteria, that's fine.
But something like putting up a poster of a line from the bible advertising Christianity, not so fine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:48 pm
brainnsoup
I know there shouldn't be religion in schools, but if some students feel the need to express themselves through prayer, they should be allowed to.

Of course, I say this is fine as long as the school is equally supportive of all religious practices that don't harm other students.

Of course, there should be no rules made by the school regulating religious practices or even allowing them...
But if a group of students feel moved enough to pray or it helps secure their connection to God in their minds, who are we to tell them they can't because it's againts the rules?

But something like putting up a poster of a line from the bible advertising Christianity, not so fine.

Then something like this is considered unfine in your words considering they are praying outside in a large group with a microphone. I think alittle quietly in a room is more suitable but that is alittle much.
and, yeah, I see the school setting up a session for Hindu children. The problem is schools actually having PROGRAMS about this stuff.
My school has a program called " Youth Alive " and it is very annoying considering, not only is it being advertised everywhere, they are trying to recruit everyone they can find to join it.
If you don't without a solid reason, they would mos likely question you if they were a teacher.
A kid, Atheist like me, was caught and he is now being forced to attend church.
A Preacher of my friend caught word of my Atheism and is using tooth and nail to find out who I am and where I live to try and " save " me.

THIS is the reason why this thing is wrong. It is ok to have it but people like to abuse it and make it to where it is unnecessary.
Just as unnecessary as the build-boards everywhere in town only saying
" Trust God ".
Why is that needed?

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:09 pm
Captain_Shinzo
brainnsoup

Then something like this is considered unfine in your words considering they are praying outside in a large group with a microphone. I think alittle quietly in a room is more suitable but that is alittle much.
and, yeah, I see the school setting up a session for Hindu children. The problem is schools actually having PROGRAMS about this stuff.
My school has a program called " Youth Alive " and it is very annoying considering, not only is it being advertised everywhere, they are trying to recruit everyone they can find to join it.
If you don't without a solid reason, they would mos likely question you if they were a teacher.
A kid, Atheist like me, was caught and he is now being forced to attend church.
A Preacher of my friend caught word of my Atheism and is using tooth and nail to find out who I am and where I live to try and " save " me.

THIS is the reason why this thing is wrong. It is ok to have it but people like to abuse it and make it to where it is unnecessary.
Just as unnecessary as the build-boards everywhere in town only saying
" Trust God ".
Why is that needed?
Do you go to a Christian school? Otherwise tell them to back the ******** off.
Teachers have no business drilling you about your religion even in a religious school. So if you go to public school, tell them politely to stop.
Especially if you're parents are on your side.

But no, I'm fine with praying around a flagpole. Maybe not the microphone if the aim is to recruit other people. But I have no problem with praying or people being proud of their religion and celebrating it how they see appropriate.
If that means harrassing other people or forcing their religion on someone, that's different.
It comes down to intention for me. And since there's no way to prove one's intention the rule has to remain that nobody is allowed to be religious to regulate the masses.
But if I was a teacher and it seemed to me to be a simple expression of their faith or even an unaccusing invitation to join them in prayer, I would let it go.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:30 pm
No, no, it is a regular public school that supports Christianity over all the other religions in our school.
Your point is in justice to tell them to back the ******** off. But when the have the faculty and staff, the churches, and your parents on your side, your in deep s**t.
NO ONE here is Atheist. I can't find a spec of it. If they are, they are in the closet about it. Reason why all the kids are arrogant ignorant asses when it comes to differences of someone.
In the school, the people feel that their choice is divine yet don't hesitate to think what an example this would make for other religions.
I don't see the Muslim or Hindu children being sent to church, do I?
and no, we have many other religions in our school.
There just-so happens to be one group for Christians.
Did I mention we only have one group and that is the Youth Alive?
Not to mention we don't even make the groups since the teachers do.

The point I am trying to make is that believing in what you think is true is alright with me.
I just think that if you go Over-the-line to express your beliefs and hurt others in the process is morally wrong.
( Heh heh. Ironic. )
When I go to school, I expect to learn. Not to find out that you can go to pray for an entire hour before class. Save that for Church.

Yes, yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Blah blah.
If this is so, why don't we have it?
People are hating others for the difference in mentality and people have made fun of others because of this. I can't stand it when I have to hear a teacher getting onto a kid NOT BECAUSE he wasn't Christian but because he didn't go to church.
Honestly, the problem is people need to keep their ******** nose out of other's businesses.

Sure, maybe it would be nice to have praying outside the school with a group. However, I would prefer more of a group talking silently then
" Givin' da werd to mah home-boy Jesus " while speaking through a loud microphone and discussing on how you can love God.
I find this annoying. Not to mention the other religions are kinda just left into the dark.
It is favoritism I tell ya.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:58 pm
Captain_Shinzo
No, no, it is a regular public school that supports Christianity over all the other religions in our school.
Your point is in justice to tell them to back the ******** off. But when the have the faculty and staff, the churches, and your parents on your side, your in deep s**t.
NO ONE here is Atheist. I can't find a spec of it. If they are, they are in the closet about it. Reason why all the kids are arrogant ignorant asses when it comes to differences of someone.
In the school, the people feel that their choice is divine yet don't hesitate to think what an example this would make for other religions.
I don't see the Muslim or Hindu children being sent to church, do I?
and no, we have many other religions in our school.
There just-so happens to be one group for Christians.
Did I mention we only have one group and that is the Youth Alive?
Not to mention we don't even make the groups since the teachers do.

The point I am trying to make is that believing in what you think is true is alright with me.
I just think that if you go Over-the-line to express your beliefs and hurt others in the process is morally wrong.
( Heh heh. Ironic. )
When I go to school, I expect to learn. Not to find out that you can go to pray for an entire hour before class. Save that for Church.

Yes, yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Blah blah.
If this is so, why don't we have it?
People are hating others for the difference in mentality and people have made fun of others because of this. I can't stand it when I have to hear a teacher getting onto a kid NOT BECAUSE he wasn't Christian but because he didn't go to church.
Honestly, the problem is people need to keep their ******** nose out of other's businesses.

Sure, maybe it would be nice to have praying outside the school with a group. However, I would prefer more of a group talking silently then
" Givin' da werd to mah home-boy Jesus " while speaking through a loud microphone and discussing on how you can love God.
I find this annoying. Not to mention the other religions are kinda just left into the dark.
It is favoritism I tell ya.
Do you live in America? Because here (Illinois) people hold their breath when a teacher even talks about his faith.
Most students really don't care as long as they're not being harrassed, but some little brat might go home and tell their parents that their teacher was trying to force religion on them simply by mentioning that he was Christian.
And we had a Christian club at my old school too. I don't remember the name, the only reason I know about it in the first place is that one of my favorite teachers is in charge of it.
But I know at some schools in my old district there were clubs for many large religions. Not sure if we had any...

If you go to an American public high school then you can form a club.
Maybe you need a teacher to be technically in charge of it, and maybe it varries by state, but I know that basically students can start clubs, they just have to go before a board for funding.
So, again, if you go to an American public high school, I encourage that you start a club for other religions or, if you're so bold, for atheists.
And if they won't let you, raise hell.
I only suggest this because from the times I've met you in the guild I assume that you're up for confrontation and the inevitable s**t storm that comes with standing up for atheism?
That's what I would do if I went to an intollerant school.
Sadly, my school was mostly liberal with only a few ignorant assholes.

And for the purpose of both the origional argument and the thought of making an atheism club, I still believe that it comes down to intention.
If those students had no intention of making others feel inferior for their beliefs, then I believe that the fault lies with the students who chose to take it personally. No offense to the OP, this is about people feeling really hurt.
Just as if you were to make an atheist club, do it with the intention of creating a safe place for atheists and in turn making the school more safe for atheists. Also for the purpose of educating people on the fact that atheists can be good people and can have morals. Not to make fun of Christians or as an underhanded, passive-aggressice way to say that they're wrong and obnoxious for pushing their religion on others, whether they are or not.

And if you want religious equality in your school and don't have it, do something about it!
If you're old enough to be on Gaia and are as articulate in real life as you are here, make change happen!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:07 pm
Sadly, this would most likely fail do to the outcomes and variables of this process. But I will assure everyone that I will make a social act in Columbus Georgia to stop all this religion discrimination.
Yes, I have wanted to make a total s**t storm of a war on all this.
But 1 : 10,000 aren't good odds and the kids these days know s**t about religion to stand up and defend themselves.
I could protest, as you suggest, but that would REALLY fail considering I would be automatically labeled as * Dunce * and be sent to some kind of detention center for the spiritly challenged.

Although, It's not like I WON'T cause a riot.
I will mostly make the Legal Marijuana and Social Atheist movement in the near future when I nothing to lose. Till then, I am still dependent on others to pay my bills and cook something occasionally.

( P.S. Columbus is a HELL HOLE when it comes to Christianity. I'm surprised it hasn't been known for it's public announcements saying " We support God! " )

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Raticiel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:18 pm
Once again I see christians that don't seem to follow the teachings of the bible. There was an episode about those who pray in public... rolleyes

If they really have the need - sure why not, let them pray and do your own business without bother.

If they want to advertise - tell them they're humiliating their own religion.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:41 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Sadly, this would most likely fail do to the outcomes and variables of this process. But I will assure everyone that I will make a social act in Columbus Georgia to stop all this religion discrimination.
But 1 : 10,000 aren't good odds and the kids these days know s**t about religion to stand up and defend themselves.
I could protest, as you suggest, but that would REALLY fail considering I would be automatically labeled as * Dunce * and be sent to some kind of detention center for the spiritly challenged.

I will mostly make the Legal Marijuana and Social Atheist movement in the near future when I nothing to lose. Till then, I am still dependent on others to pay my bills and cook something occasionally.

( P.S. Columbus is a HELL HOLE when it comes to Christianity. I'm surprised it hasn't been known for it's public announcements saying " We support God! " )
Peaceful and unaccusing yet confident and firm is probably the best way to go.
People already hate atheists enough.

You said there are other atheists in the school, yes?
See what they think.
In fact, any tollerant person would help your cause.
I really think that giving atheists a voice in your school is a good start.

What do you mean by "social act"?

And also, what do your parents think of atheism?

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:52 pm
brainnsoup
Captain_Shinzo

Peaceful and unaccusing yet confident and firm is probably the best way to go.
People already hate atheists enough.

You said there are other atheists in the school, yes?
See what they think.
In fact, any tollerant person would help your cause.
I really think that giving atheists a voice in your school is a good start.

What do you mean by "social act"?

And also, what do your parents think of atheism?

Parents don't like it and I said I was unsure.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:18 pm
User Image

It's like the lovers that make out in the public.
They do it, it disturbs you, but there's nothing you
can do about it except to get over it. *shrugs*

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Raticiel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:43 pm
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
User Image

It's like the lovers that make out in the public.
They do it, it disturbs you, but there's nothing you
can do about it except to get over it. *shrugs*

User Image
Exactly. I guess it's even worse when I suffer from loneliness. I think it's the same with religion, because I for example am often jealous of truly religious people... But I still like my skeptical self, it's not hurting that much as being lonely wink  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:13 pm
Yeah I saw that too. I was like "omg a cult meeting?"
i wasn't surprise that happen since my school is very religious (christian)/conservative

what was the point of the prayer?  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items