Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Need help identifying an entity. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:18 pm
Forgive me for not being prompt on returning any questions and PMs for the last few days. Work has been hectic for the last few weeks.

(Boggarts) Bog-arts's
To my knowledge is a creature of Irish folklore. Kind of in the same fashion as a toadstool or fairy ring. If I had to place them on the same level as another entity for reference, maybe a gremlin would be most appropriate.
Mischievous and very elusive. They are common to out land farmers and building workers. Been known to steal personal treasures and junk alike, or mostly just shiny objects they can easily take off with.
(Vice'ler) Vic-el-ar
In the same bracket as the Boggart. The only notable difference is that they a supposed to carry a large amount of hate or at the very least despise other living creatures.

To tell the truth Mitsh was the closest to nabbing the answer. Besides he was also correct in his words that there is not much to separate many of the other creatures that are so alike. I could at least say they where fey in general but that would be to broad a statement.
As for my words (that is my professional opinion)
I work as an Appraiser for a living.
And in my travels I come across allot of things, supernatural, astral, or otherwise.

I'll be stateside in 26hours from this post.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:56 am
Oborosen
Forgive me for not being prompt on returning any questions and PMs for the last few days. Work has been hectic for the last few weeks.

(Boggarts) Bog-arts's
To my knowledge is a creature of Irish folklore. Kind of in the same fashion as a toadstool or fairy ring. If I had to place them on the same level as another entity for reference, maybe a gremlin would be most appropriate.
Mischievous and very elusive. They are common to out land farmers and building workers. Been known to steal personal treasures and junk alike, or mostly just shiny objects they can easily take off with.
(Vice'ler) Vic-el-ar
In the same bracket as the Boggart. The only notable difference is that they a supposed to carry a large amount of hate or at the very least despise other living creatures.

To tell the truth Mitsh was the closest to nabbing the answer. Besides he was also correct in his words that there is not much to separate many of the other creatures that are so alike. I could at least say they where fey in general but that would be to broad a statement.
And in my travels I come across allot of things, supernatural, astral, or otherwise.

Where did you hear about Vice'lers from? What culture to they originate in? Can you give us an actual source for them, inside a book on cryptozoology or similar? And why does the word Vice'ler look made-up, given that, according to your guide for pronunciation, there's no indication that the apostrophe (which is only very rarely used in any language) is used for a glottal stop nor a contraction, in much the same way that fantasy authors tend to intersperse the names of their creations with useless and functionless apostrophes?  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Mitsh
Oborosen

(Boggarts) Bog-arts's
(Vice'ler) Vic-el-ar

Where did you hear about Vice'lers from? What culture to they originate in? Can you give us an actual source for them, inside a book on cryptozoology or similar? And why does the word Vice'ler look made-up, given that, according to your guide for pronunciation, there's no indication that the apostrophe (which is only very rarely used in any language) is used for a glottal stop nor a contraction, in much the same way that fantasy authors tend to intersperse the names of their creations with useless and functionless apostrophes?

EXCELLENT question my dear Mitsh.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:24 pm
WellforgivemeforatleasttryingtomakemymessagesseemattheleasttohaveaformofsomekindIwasjusttryingtogetthepointacross

fogetmylackofspelling
maybeIshouldntevenenunciate
doesthatseemtohelporhinder

ormaybeleetspeak
greatnowthisconversationhasturnedtoarealjoke

forgivemeIdotypeallofthisfrommemoryafterall  

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:45 am
Oborosen
WellforgivemeforatleasttryingtomakemymessagesseemattheleasttohaveaformofsomekindIwasjusttryingtogetthepointacross

fogetmylackofspelling
maybeIshouldntevenenunciate
doesthatseemtohelporhinder

ormaybeleetspeak
greatnowthisconversationhasturnedtoarealjoke

forgivemeIdotypeallofthisfrommemoryafterall

stare There is nothing wrong with typing from memory as long as you can offer further information or sources. Your authoritative stance on the matter to begin with made all of us curious. As occultists we seek hidden knowledge. I find this to be an immature way of defending yourself when it's not even necessary. I was genuinely curious as to what you were referring to. I gain as much knowledge as I can when I can and I've studied books on a wide variety of subjects. Perhaps being more careful to do actual research about a topic before giving an authoritative answer might prevent this in the future. I never claim to know everything, but it's part of being a helpful researcher to share knowledge and give sources so that others might learn. This goes for any type of research, not just occult studies. Teachers make students give sources for information with research papers for a reason.

We are not attacking you. Take these words as constructive criticism. Knowledge is power my friend. Ignorance is the only real malevolence. Misinformation is not helpful and as you can see it really exacerbates curiosity and misdirects discussions. So you thought you remembered something and didn't get it right, You're HUMAN. It's OK. We are perfectly flawed creatures. There is no need to ask for forgiveness because you've done nothing wrong. Just be mature about it and never be half sure of an answer if you assert real knowledge. If you are not sure about answer, preface it as such. We are all researchers and not being able to figure out what you are talking about drives us nuts, especially if you're talking about something and aren't able to provide a source so we might digest it further. If we don't know something, we like to find out. Isn't that why we're all here in this 'research' society in the first place?

-- Vittoria  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:06 pm
Yes I know, and I'm sorry about that last post.
I was still pretty burned out from travel and work.

normally I take criticism very well. But that night was not one of my best nights. I think we all have had a time like that.  

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:31 pm
Oborosen

normally I take criticism very well. But that night was not one of my best nights. I think we all have had a time like that.

Now that you've had time to collect yourself, it'd be great if we could get some answers.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:11 am
Mitsh
Oborosen

Now that you've had time to collect yourself, it'd be great if we could get some answers.

Yes oborosen, enlighten us to your wisdom.  

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:41 am
I guess if you want a reference of some sort this will have to do till i find a better site for Boggarts.

Boggart Page

Viceler is just another fay of the same court as the Boggart.

Other pronunciations is Viklar, or Vecla.
But when I put it down like that it just doesn't feel right in my brain.
The closest source I can add to this is that (Vikar) is Latin in origin.
I'll keep looking I guess.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:08 am
Oborosen
I guess if you want a reference of some sort this will have to do till i find a better site for Boggarts.

Boggart Page

Viceler is just another fay of the same court as the Boggart.

Other pronunciations is Viklar, or Vecla.
But when I put it down like that it just doesn't feel right in my brain.
The closest source I can add to this is that (Vikar) is Latin in origin.
I'll keep looking I guess.

You still haven't given us a /source/ for Viceler/Vice'ler and its associated concept. Where did you come across it? What authors/theorists/essayists talk about it? Which culture is the word used in? You've yet to actually point us towards anything that indicates that you haven't just made this word up.

Further to that, I hope you have an explanation for the incredibly dodgy-looking etymology, given that there are only a handful of cases where classical Latin ever used the letter "k".  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:02 pm
That is just something used by myself and a few others at best. Only because I came across it about a four years ago in my friends attic. The only good book I got from that trip was a index on mystic places and related stories. Around that time I wasn't really interested in the fey.

I thought I had already posted this answer before. But I guess my connection dropped before I submitted it.
My apologies.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:27 am
Oborosen
That is just something used by myself and a few others at best. Only because I came across it about a four years ago in my friends attic. The only good book I got from that trip was a index on mystic places and related stories. Around that time I wasn't really interested in the fey.

I thought I had already posted this answer before. But I guess my connection dropped before I submitted it.
My apologies.

"A book" is all you're giving us here? No title, no author, no further information on the Vice'ler's origins or the etymology of the word?

Here as well as in the Sacred Circle Sanctuary, you've repeatedly demonstrated that while you're all too willing to give out supposed scholarly information to begin with, asking you to provide any sources whatsoever is like getting blood from a stone, so I'm of the opinion that you're making up facts from piecemeal scraps of information from various sources and trying to come across like a wizened sage. For that, you've earned yourself a ban.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Abbot_Natalis

Savage Genius

2,850 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:33 am
Holy crap... Is he... finally gone? Because that would be great.
Though I suppose that still means we have to keep an eye out for him elsewhere. He'll probably continue to mislead people if we don't.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:05 pm
I call it sleep paralysis... for a children or whatever she was (and sorry about it) give a that much of a description its pretty much blunt.

Neither boggarts or vice'ler sounds correct to me, eventhough I'm a hell of a lot more interested on those things now. Sorry if I make a rude conclusion about it but its just my way of seeing things about this subject.  

the_hitman_jerry

4,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items