Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
I learned a new word today: Sehnsucht

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WindowOpener

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:43 am
Sehnsucht is a German word that apparently doesn't translate easily into other languages. It certainly doesn't translate into English. I've only just managed to grasp its meaning, I think.

It is essentially a deep, profound sense of longing. But there is not a clear understanding of what you are longing for. It might seem to lie in the past, as in childhood or growing up, but it isn't distinct and it's irretrievably enmeshed in hazy memory.

This point might seem obvious, but it is different for every person. It's our search for a part of our identity, and when an experience stirs this "sehnsucht" in us, there seems no way to communicate the depth of the feeling to anyone.

Does anyone think they kind of get this? I found it interesting. Maybe you can post about what this means for you, or you can post instead about any cool words you've learned recently. whee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:55 pm
It is an interesting concept. Personally, I just put that feeling down to those times when the angsting artist in me is just longing to come out, but a quest for self identity works too. 3nodding

I didn't learn this word recently... But it's gotta be one of my favourite words of all time, so I'll post it here. Defenestration. It means "The act of throwing someone or something out the window." Awesome word, right there. xd  

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

Mader Hatter

5,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:00 pm
It does mean longing. I looked it up on the offical translator from German to English and it came up as, "Longing".  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:36 am
You really got the meaning. I am German so I know. wink
It is a melancholic kind of longing.
If you want to know more words, you can join the German Help Thread.

Leila Amra Drake

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:51 am
Window, I wonder if you learnt of this word from a webcomic....  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:51 am
My first exposure to this word was with a Rammstein album entitled Sehnsucht. I've also spent several years learning German. I'm not confident in what I think it means for me. Not enough to give it voice.  

ieatyourtclol

Resources & Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff