Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Religion resort to insults Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:34 pm
brainnsoup
That kid was probably just immature.
It's not really fair to judge his religion.
I've seen atheists act like way bigger jerks.

But yeah, like Pixel Mine said, I don't need the threat of eternal damnation to be a good person.
He's immoral.

Actually, from what the OP said, all that was mentioned is that atheists will ******** up due to lack of fear. They might make the argument that their love of God means they would not even imagine doing that stuff. Hence my suggestion to roll with it, and accept the charges of immoral behaviour, but instead flip it, and demand an explanation for why those immoral acts are immoral.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:49 pm
Louis-Auguste Robespierre
brainnsoup

But yeah, like Pixel Mine said, I don't need the threat of eternal damnation to be a good person.
He's immoral.

Actually, from what the OP said, all that was mentioned is that atheists will ******** up due to lack of fear. They might make the argument that their love of God means they would not even imagine doing that stuff. Hence my suggestion to roll with it, and accept the charges of immoral behaviour, but instead flip it, and demand an explanation for why those immoral acts are immoral.
I understand what he was saying. I just don't agree with it.
That's why I'm saying that I follow my own set of morals and try to be a good person on my own.
And the only reason he doesn't murder people is because he's afraid of going to Hell. So without the threat of Hell, he would sin as much as he wanted.
So he's the one with the crappy sense of morality.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:53 pm
Quote:

And the only reason he doesn't murder people is because he's afraid of going to Hell. So without the threat of Hell, he would sin as much as he wanted.

Actually, I would disagree with that logic. You essentially just said what some theists say about atheist morality.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:51 pm
IVIalice
Quote:

Actually, I would disagree with that logic. You essentially just said what some theists say about atheist morality.

Sometimes turning the tables work pretty well when you try making people see things from your point of view, unless of course we were talking about a ******** religious ********>  

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:03 pm
That kid was probably just stupid. We gotta clean out the gene pool, let's go. *grabs rocket launcher* Natural Selection FTW.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:03 pm
I just ignore **** like that. rolleyes
Just let people be ignorant.  

I Am A Mountie

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:47 am
brainnsoup
brainnsoup

He's immoral.

That's why I'm saying that I follow my own set of morals and try to be a good person on my own.

But that's my point. The accusation was that atheists would be immoral because they don't feel threatened. The kid didn't say anything about himself, nor did he say anything about people in general. Just atheists.

As such, he could claim that a xian wouldn't do those things because they wouldn't even think about it. Not that they fear god, but that they love god so much they do what he says, and they accept his teachings instinctively. Such an argument would mean that without that instinctive orientation toward morality, people are naturally immoral, and not that the person making the argument is scared of going to hell.

I don't know if the kid is smart enough to pull that one, but it pays not to underestimate your opponent, and to deal with the strongest conclusions they reach, not the weakest ones.

Thus, rather than say "so you only do it because you are scared" (which was not implied, and would thus be putting words into the other person's mouth), it is better to tackle the issue head on: why is it immoral to do these things? That is a much better question to ask, and demands they make an answer, instead of assuming one.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:23 am
brainnsoup
brainnsoup

He's immoral.

But that's my point. The accusation was that atheists would be immoral because they don't feel threatened. The kid didn't say anything about himself, nor did he say anything about people in general. Just atheists.

As such, he could claim that a xian wouldn't do those things because they wouldn't even think about it. Not that they fear god, but that they love god so much they do what he says, and they accept his teachings instinctively. Such an argument would mean that without that instinctive orientation toward morality, people are naturally immoral, and not that the person making the argument is scared of going to hell.

I don't know if the kid is smart enough to pull that one, but it pays not to underestimate your opponent, and to deal with the strongest conclusions they reach, not the weakest ones.

Thus, rather than say "so you only do it because you are scared" (which was not implied, and would thus be putting words into the other person's mouth), it is better to tackle the issue head on: why is it immoral to do these things? That is a much better question to ask, and demands they make an answer, instead of assuming one.

I think a better question would be how exactly God has given him this morality. How have these rules been communicated? Because if he says the Bible, he better not be wearing clothes made of more than one material...  

Lethkhar

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:35 am
IVIalice
Quote:

That's not what I think of all theists.
The origional kid was arguing that atheists are immoral because we don't have a threat of Hell, right?
He didn't say that we have no morals because we don't have a God, or that it's a problem with or nifty little counter-culture.
He said we don't have morals because we don't have Hell.
So it seems the thing that ties him to his morals is fear of Hell.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:28 pm
Dude if said that to me... Not only would kill him... but 3 of my close friends would... Just for being stupid...  

Emerald Warrior Jewel

dl1371

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:04 pm
another thing i realized is that nowhere in the ten commandments does it say "thou shalt not rape" that means that if religion ruled the world then people would be allowed to do exactly what he described  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:15 pm
brainnsoup
brainnsoup

He's immoral.

Well if atheists are immoral because they don't fear punishment in the afterlife, then isn't it reasonable to say that, in his logic at least, he is moral because he does fear punishment in the afterlife?
I'm midly surprised that you guys didn't think that was implied...
Like I said in my other post, he didn't say that atheists are immoral because we don't have a God, or that we don't follow the Ten Commandments or anything like that.
He instantly went to talking about Hell.

And in my experience it's not best to over-estimate your opponent either.
Given his rant about atheist mothers letting their young kids, what was the exact phrase, "******** some bitches"? Well given his obvious lack of understanding for atheism and probable belief that his own religion is right he would probably reply with "Because *insert religious text here* says so."
Yes, it's a little unfair to assume that. But it's pretty common for people to say that and not see the problem with exactly that logic, even if you explain it to them.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:36 pm
User Image

I wouldn't even waste my precious time trying to explain or defend myself in the face of someone like that.

Let him rot. He'll get his share of s**t sooner or later.

User Image

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces