Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply Social Room
Something You Should All Ponder (WATCH THIS, GODDAMMIT)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:36 pm
I should post this in The Gallery, but that section of the cult doesn't get as much attention as the Social Room.

I was forced to watch this video lecture in my First Year Seminar class today and it raised a lot of my attention. The man giving the lecture is a professor emeritus at the University of Colorado-Boulder named Dr. Albert A. Barlett of the Department of Physics

To give a summary, it's about his whole belief that "the greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." He applies this little thesis to the issue of overpopulation or our population growth, as well as the growth in the rate of consumption of natural resources. The idea that many people like this have is that one of the true causes of our problems in the world today is our rapid growth in population and our need to consume more and more natural resources.

Now, some people have stated there are some condradictions or flaws in his little lecture. I personally didn't notice much of those things at all, however I did have a problem with the fact that he seems to continually state the problem, but he doesn't seem to give too many effective solutions. But nonetheless, I believe people should really think about what this dude is saying. So take a watch.

Mind you, the total lecture is about an hour long, so if you're one of those "Too long; didn't watch" people, this might not be the topic for you.

I'll give you the link to the first part of the video, but there are eight parts in total.

ARITHMETIC, POPULATION, AND ENERGY

Discuss.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:53 pm
Physics. I'm in.
I'll watch it tomorrow though.
Too much homework...  

Paper Sonic

Hilarious Lunatic

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:58 pm
I_love_Inuyasha1
Physics. I'm in.
Too much homework...

Actually, the lecture seems more like a lecture about the exponential function and statistics rather than a physics lecture.

It's still an interesting lecture, though.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:01 pm
Lord of Armageddon
I_love_Inuyasha1
Physics. I'm in.
Too much homework...

Actually, the lecture seems more like a lecture about the exponential function and statistics rather than a physics lecture.

It's still an interesting lecture, though.

Alright. I just saw the word "Physics" XD
The topic looks interesting to me though.  

Paper Sonic

Hilarious Lunatic

melikefood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:52 am
User Image

I'll get to watching this later.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:41 pm
Alright, finished.
I don't know what to say.
I'm shocked and facinated.  

Paper Sonic

Hilarious Lunatic