Reply College Music Chat
Busking, anyone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:24 pm
Hey, all my college level friends. Anyone ever go busking around their campus or college town/city. For those who don't know, busking is simply playing music in a public place (like a sidewalk or park) not soliciting money, though some people make a good amount.

Being in manhattan, it's fairly easy (since so many ppl do it anyways). Of course, now that it's getting colder up here any muscial talent is forced to the subways. I've done it once in central park. wondering if anyone else has or would consider. Not sure how effective it is at subsiding performance anxiety, but it's fun.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:27 pm
No, that dosnt really happen much here... People would probably just look at me strangely. I live in Panama City FL..... unfortunately were the spring break capital of the world, meaning we get a bunch of really REALLY stupid college people down here just to get drunk and trash our beach... Its kind of hot most of the time to play outside anyways. Though its starting to get nice now, it went down to 76 today. xp

I wish I lived somewhere it was ok to do that though, I would definately play outside.  

`Kel`
Captain

Cat.on.the.Hill

5,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:44 pm
That sounds cool but i probably would get a lot of people staring at me thinking" what is wrong with her?" in my town. I live too far away from the city. I have friends that have done that, though i haven't really accompanied them. Carrying around an electric piano can be a pain.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:04 pm
I wish I had a piano friend who had a keyboard, then I wouldn't be restricted to solo violin repertoire (of which I know little). I mostly play showpieces, concerti, and chamber music. neutral If only I could manage to drag more people along, we'd probably make more money--enough to get back home razz  

Gjornia X

Escargot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:10 am
Where I used to live in CA, it was mostly just homeless people that would do any busking. San Francisco was nearby, and you'd get a little more variety there.

I live in the UK now, though, and (at least in the city I live in) we get WEIRD buskers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNUr-YgUmDQ&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQXqTNhCR_Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw9i43ujtG4

Not my city in these videos, but I've seen these guys in my city:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azTSYXLkZ5M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA1AJDn7ymg

Apparently buskers in the UK can make a good amount of money!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:58 pm
busking??? question  

Eros Philia Agape

Escargot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:08 am
Eros Philia Agape
busking??? question

There is this really cool website called dictionary.com, and it told me that busking is "to entertain by dancing, singing, or reciting on the street or in a public place."  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:35 am
that was some intense busking. 3nodding maybe i should go to england and get some pointers, esp. from the tightrope guy. whee  

Gjornia X

Escargot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:33 pm
I know, right? The Sonic Manipulator has got be be my fave though.

"Thank you, you will not be destroyed today." whee  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:07 pm
I go to college in Clarksville,TN but commute every day from Waverly. It's a rural town, so people would not only look at me weird but would stop me constantly and ask what that "thing" was and I would reply to them "an oboe" and then they would think I said hobo or elbow and then just walk away laughing. XD

It has happened before btw if you can't tell. haha  

Elektric_Sugar_Pop

Fashionable Shopper

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:43 pm
Frog_in_the_oboe
I go to college in Clarksville,TN but commute every day from Waverly. It's a rural town, so people would not only look at me weird but would stop me constantly and ask what that "thing" was and I would reply to them "an oboe" and then they would think I said hobo or elbow and then just walk away laughing. XD

Dont forget about the people asking us several times if its a clarinet. confused  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:02 pm
`Kel`
Frog_in_the_oboe

Dont forget about the people asking us several times if its a clarinet. confused

OMG, once I needed to find a clarinetist to play in an ensemble with me for a piece. I walked up to the girl who gives the orchestra an A all the time. he politely said she was a clarinetist. The saddest part is, several of my friends play clarinet.  

Gjornia X

thequietwriter

5,800 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:44 pm
I'm not sure if I've ever seen it in real life, except for a guy playing the saxaphone in NYC.

But does anybody watch Gilmore Girls? What's up with the guitar guy in town? (:  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:07 pm
Please forgive me.........

I've done it for Christmas with my school band. It was pretty scary when it got late. Many homeless drug addicts/alcoholics came up to us to scare us.

......If I disappear completely

lil_kitty_TNA

Beloved Friend

College Music Chat

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas