(F).A.Q.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:24 pm
This is a thread in which one may ask assorted questions about the guild.

Topics might include: anything about rules, where *insert genre* ought to go, your rights and privacy, guild policy, etc.

What should not be discussed here: questions about grammar/spelling/etc mistakes, requests for ideas on a piece of prose or poetry (see the Ideas Center), questions directed to any user in particular, etc.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:35 pm
Q:
Where do I post my written work?

A:
The Prose sub-forum is where prose works are staged, and the Poetry sub-forum is the space to which poetry is allocated.

Q:
What do I have to gain through posting my work here?

A:
You receive the attention of a continually expanding writing guild composed of those who are as interested in the written word as you are. But you will also receive critique and feedback if you so desire, provided that you note your desire that others may discover your wish, as defined in the activity and feedback announcement.

Q:
What about my rights to my work? I am still the owner, correct?

A:
Yes, all of the work you submit to Gaia Online remains yours, provided that Section 8: Member Submissions of Gaia's ToS maintains the same intent as it did on Oct. 22, 2009 [the most recent date I have looked at the ToS on]. In brief, it states that
Gaia Interactive, Inc.
Except for any Member Submissions, which are owned by and provided by our Members, all Materials contained on Gaia Online are the property of Gaia or its subsidiaries or affiliated companies and/or third-party licensors.

The Readers' and Writers' Guild upholds this notion, and is a strong proponent of it.

Please be aware that Gaia has methods of "covering their behinds" written into the ToS, likely including the provision that they may change the ToS without warning (I personally have not verified this, so this is not necessarily true). However, it does state that notice of legal action does not take effect until 24 hours after Gaia's message has been sent, (19.1: Notice) so you will be able to defend yourself if problems arise.

Q:
May I be published here?

A:
No, unfortunately you cannot. I do not currently own a publishing company, nor am I or the guild affiliated with one. However, remember that there are many ways to be published, including self-publishing. Do not disregard that publishing your work is a business decision, and as such, has both legal and monetary impacts - research and ask professionals before making an uneducated decision.

Conversely, I hope to achieve a noticeable conglomeration of decent writers here, enough so to attract the notice of a publishing company, and in doing so, grant opportunity to those who might not otherwise have the resources, courage, or various other requirement of being published.

Unibook offers self-publishing services, however, as they print a small number of copies, any individual copy is much more expensive than if one were to order a few thousand copies. Cost details: Minimum cost per paperback book is ~7 USD, with a number of pages from 30 to 550. Each page beyond 30 is an additional .06 USD.

I have read through Unibook's ToS, and suggest that if one is publishing to make a profit, that one does not do so through Unibook, as they claim the right to reproduce your book as they see fit.

Q:
What is Poetry?

A:
Poetry is any non-prose work, specifically verse. It will often be written with a meter or with rhyme, and organized into lines, stanzas, and cantos.

A few common types of poetry are: blank verse, free verse, sonnet, ode, epic poem, sestina, acrostic, haiku, cinquain, ballad, lyric, elegy, limerick, and villanelle. See Wiki's Verse or Poetry for an incomplete list.

Q:
What is Prose?

A:
Prose is, essentially, all written works that are not written in verse. It is divided into four modes: Descriptive, Narrative, Expository, and Persuasive.

A few common genres of prose are: fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, play, detective story, cyberpunk, dystopian, bildungs roman, idyll, and diary/journal. See Wiki's Genres and Literature.

Q:

Hybrid Defect
I received a request to join the guild. Why? Was it random because I have stuff in the arena? Was it automatic because of my arena score or did somebody actually read something and thought it was acceptable?

A:

Priestess of Neptune
Indeed, I peruse the writing arenas for writers to recruit. I skim works in the arena, and if a work surpasses a defined threshold, the respective author is asked whether they would entertain participating within the guild as a member.

I do not include the embedded arena scoring system as a factor in my evaluation; the opinion of the hoi polloi is insignificant. The increased selectivity of the formal Guild Join Request is a safeguard for acceptance of those who have not been identified as potential candidates by a moderator, and to ensure that the request is not frivolous.

Q:

Hybrid Defect
The message I received was generic. [As pertaining to being invited to the guild through arenas.]

A:

Priestess of Neptune
I have fashioned a generic message in an effort to be more efficient in my use of time- if you would like a specific response about your work, please post your work in the correct sub-forum, as the constraints on arena comments are much too close to properly evaluate any given piece.

Additionally, if you wish revelation of the reasons for which you were personally requested to join, I invite you to send me a PM, and I will discuss them with you. [Note that by "you", I mean the reader.]

Q:

Why are there still year-old plus threads in some forums?

A:

"Dead" threads will not be deleted, nor will they be locked. The information encapsulated within them may remain relevant, particularly in the writing forums.

As a matter of courtesy, please do not post in dead threads. If there is an old post that is deserving of a needed comment, contributing useful information is acceptable.

Q:

Why was my thread locked/moved/deleted?

A:

The reason for any particular action being taken will be posted along with said action. It is most likely that the thread already existed if it is locked. A moved thread was posted in an incorrect subforum, and has been re-located to the proper one. Threads will generally not be deleted without advance warning, unless something that violates the Guild's or Gaia's ToS has been posted.  

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:19 pm
Please do not hesitate to post questions here, although be aware that I might delete your post, and move your question to the master list, if it is a good question. I will not perform such an action without either sufficient impetus, or your consent.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:34 pm
Updates:

Oct 22: **I have added Hybrid Defect's quotes to the master list.

**Main ideas in each question have been highlighted in blue, to make finding your question simpler.

Dec 26: **Two questions regarding threads have been answered.  

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

Hybrid Defect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:57 am
I received a request to join the guild. Why? The message I received was generic. Was it random because I have stuff in the arena? Was it automatic because of my arena score or did somebody actually read something and thought it was acceptable?
I'm curious because it seemed a rather casual invitation while the requirements for the request to join seemed more selective.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:03 am
Indeed, I peruse the writing arenas for writers to recruit. I skim works in the arena, and if a work surpasses a defined threshold, the respective author is asked whether they would entertain participating within the guild as a member.

I do not include the embedded arena scoring system as a factor in my evaluation; the opinion of the hoi polloi is insignificant. The increased selectivity of the formal Guild Join Request is a safeguard for acceptance of those who have not been identified as potential candidates by a moderator, and to ensure that the request is not frivolous.

I have fashioned a generic message in an effort to be more efficient in my use of time- if you would like a specific response about your work, please post your work in the correct sub-forum, as the constraints on arena comments are much too close to properly evaluate any given piece.

I inquire as to whether you would mind my including your quoted query in the master list. Additionally, if you wish revelation of the reasons for which you were personally requested to join, I invite you to send me a PM, and I will discuss them with you.  

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

Hybrid Defect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:29 pm
I like your use of hoi polloi. It's accurate. mrgreen Thanks for your answer.

I have no issue with my query being included in the master list.  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games