Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Morals ... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MemoriesThatKill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:19 am
I believe that religous people are immoral for the most part. That the bible might have some nice fluffy things in it, but it also teaches a lot of immoral behaviour like trickery, discrimination and opression, as well as hate.

So I really can't see why people say morals come from the bible, it doesn't make sense. We weren't all just dirty murderers and rapists before the bible existed. I think Chrisopher Hitchens once noted the story of Mt. Cyanide. He said something about how people would not have lasted to get to there without some base moral compass. Some sort of natural morality.

Frankly, I think religion mars morality with it's bloodstained past as well as it's bloodstained "holy" books.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:40 am
LimeIzMyFaveColor
My religious friend insists morals come from the Bible. I also told her I disliked Christianity and other organized religions (well religions in general). She said all morals come from the Bible and how it brings freedom to America.

Well doesn't Japan have freedom too and don't they have their own moral system but yet they are mainly buddhists/shintoist.
My friend insists that the Japanese had got their morals from some interaction with Christians. o.O

When I was growing up, I was not taught about the bible but yet I have my own morals. My moral system: "Do whatever you want just as long as it doesn't harm anyone else." She insists I got my morals (well some of it) from my parents (which yeah that's true) but my parents got people that knew about the bible. REALLY?! (my parents are now christians but before they never read the bible.)

Why do the assume everyone's morals came from the bible?

The bible, just like other religious texts, is a massive work of fiction - parables and epic stories. Not meant to be taken literally.

The literal interpretations are harmful and insulting... Instead of believing that humans are ENOUGH, that we are capable of nobility and charity and making ethical and moral decisions on our own, there just HAS to be some greater power scaring us with all sorts of dire consequences.

Sadly, a good brainwashing is a thorough one and it's rare you can successfully argue logic to a brick wall.  

Edible Jennann

MemoriesThatKill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:50 am
Jennann is right. Generally when a religious person gets to a point where they can't answer, doubt their own correctness, or realize they are wrong they will sink back into a sort of shell. The "shell" being either a ridiculous excuse/explaination they pulled out of the air or some "cover all" statement like "well because the bible says so" or sometimes "because I prayed about it and god told me".

What the friend in the OP was doing was the "pull a random explaination out of thin air method". Which makes them look like an idiot.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff