Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Debate/Discuss Religion guild... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you also part of the Dibate/Discuss Religion guild?
  Yes! (+1)
  Nope...
View Results

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:20 am
alteregoivy
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
I was invited to join before... but I declined because I was too tired for debates.

The guild owner told me that no one will really change their beliefs because of what I say. If no one will be convinced by my arguments, why bother? Isn't the whole point o a debate to convince someone?

Well, I think it sort of depends. Even if you don't convince anyone of anything right away, you're still showing them another point of view, and possibly planting the seeds of understanding for later. I know for me I've thought about things said in debate for months or years before actually listening to it, but the point is that I eventually did listen.

Also, even if the people in one guild are stubborn and set in their ways, debating with them can help you find out what arguments are common in their mindset, and possibly have the tools available to successfully persuade someone of the same background who is open to change. I've learned a lot about the Creationists' arguments over there, for example.
And even if we don't ever persuade each other, we all learn to coexist a little more and understand where the other is coming from. As corny as that sounds...

Hehe, seriously, if you don't think tolerance is a problem for you, try reading a post on why same-sex marriage should be banned with the main point being "because homosexuality is wrong" and see how long it takes you before you want to hit somebody...
For myself at least, I'm learning how difficult it is to stay logical and try to make my opponent understand why what the bible says isn't applicable to me without just posting "THIS! THIS IS WHY I HATE YOUR RELIGION!" and storming off.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:09 pm
User Image
brainnsoup
"THIS! THIS IS WHY I HATE YOUR RELIGION!"

Exactly. I often feel that way and if they don't want to hear about it, why the hell should I go there and do this and get in trouble? =.= I'm happy in this guild where people are willing to listen to me.

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:40 pm
I'm not part of that guild, but maybe I should consider it since I somewhat enjoy debating.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:00 pm
Nope. I have no interest in debate.

Xiporah

dl1371

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:32 pm
i recently joined it
im waiting for a new thread to come up so that i can start posting  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:49 am
Ha, nice! I joined.

I like debating religion, because I would REALLY like to understand why people believe this stuff.

Probably child indoctrination.

Because when you are thought that there is a God from your birth, I would kind of get it how you see everything from this point of view. Something bad happens - God is testing you. Something good happens - yay, God is happy with you, right on! You look up at the sky - wooow God, awesome job!  

Artto

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces