Reply Social Room
Ninja "Gaiden"?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mukuchina Kurasu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:48 pm
Maybe you all already know this, but then again maybe you don't, I don't know.... but whatever.

After playing so much Ninja gaiden, I just recenty decided to look up the meaning of the word "Gaiden." and it means "side story." this led me to wonder, why is that series of games called "ninja side story"?

Aparently in japan the first many games were called "ninja ryukenden" meaning "legend of the dragon sword" but they changed the name when they localised it. this to me, is even wierder, why change it to a different japanese name that makes no sence? what's the point?

then it gets even wierder, Japan decides to start using the name "Gaiden". Why? they just switch to the wierd name that that gave the North americans. This is just so messed up!

So i decided to share it. what do you think of it?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:57 pm
Ironically, the name makes more sense retroactively, as Ryu is a character in dead or alive, a game not released until later. the Ryu in those games is said to be the Ryu from the more recent titles, which one could consider a spin off of the dead or alive continuity(IS there even a story, though?), and are a series reboot.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Allegro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:07 pm
Gaiden has multiple interpretations: The one they're going for here is loosely translatable to "tale."  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:08 pm
[Kegan]
Ironically, the name makes more sense retroactively, as Ryu is a character in dead or alive, a game not released until later. the Ryu in those games is said to be the Ryu from the more recent titles, which one could consider a spin off of the dead or alive continuity(IS there even a story, though?), and are a series reboot.

Yeah, i suppose, but that still doesn't explain back on the arcade and NES, when the changed it to Gaiden instead on Ryukenden for N.A.

@ Allergo: really? i never heard that. I thought it was just side story. But thats wierd, because that just destoys the meaning for "side story" cuz when they see that word, they still won't know know weather it's a side story or not.  

Mukuchina Kurasu

Allegro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:21 pm
Bongardo
[Kegan]

Yeah, i suppose, but that still doesn't explain back on the arcade and NES, when the changed it to Gaiden instead on Ryukenden for N.A.

@ Allergo: really? i never heard that. I thought it was just side story. But thats wierd, because that just destoys the meaning for "side story" cuz when they see that word, they still won't know know weather it's a side story or not.

A lot of Japanese words have multiple meanings, depending on pronunctiation. Gaiden can also mean "Letter, Telegram, or Message."  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:28 pm
Allegro
Bongardo
[Kegan]

A lot of Japanese words have multiple meanings, depending on pronunctiation. Gaiden can also mean "Letter, Telegram, or Message."
wow, i see, I was unaware of that. But i still think it's wierd if it's only the pronouniation that gives it away. but then again, Our language is similer, but still. people can look at that game and think. "ninja message?" "no I think it's ninja tale" "maybe it's ninja side story" "or ninja telegram."

And speaking of prounciations of the word, i think i'll bring this topic up too. How do ya pronounce "ninja gaiden?" do ya know? I here both "Gay-den" and "Guy-den" they both look right, and I switch between the too cuz I just have no idea.  

Mukuchina Kurasu

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:30 pm
NINJA TELEGRAM  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:38 am
It's "Guy-den." At least, I think it is.

But from now on I'm going to call the series "Ninja Telegram" because that is quite silly and therefore hilarious.  

The Awkwardest Turtle

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:00 pm
Really, you say gah-ee-den, but when you pronounce it as one sylable it becomes Gaiden... uh... guy-den  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:58 am
Waynebrizzle
NINJA TELEGRAM

Rusti Fire

Aged Humorist

Vash_the_Rampage

1,575 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:28 am
Rusti Fire