Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Favorite wools?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:09 am
I'm sort of on the lookout for some nice wool for a pattern I'd like to knit (once all my Christmas knitting is done, of course xp ), and I was wondering if anyone had any favorites that they liked to work with. I'm not familiar with a lot of wool yarns, since I normally work with stuff I can find in the craft stores nearby (which usually is just cheap stuff and nothing special.... and itchy). So, I'd be interested to see what kind of recommendations there'd be... and if anyone could tell me what kind of wool are softest. I don't like itchy things, especially if it's going to be around my face and ears.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:39 am
I'd suggest not going with wool then, although I hear cashmere isnt too bad. Lion brand came out with cashmere and angora yarns if you're looking to splurge. They come in pretty colors.  

gemini6184

QueenBea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:33 pm
Can't tell you names BUT find a yarn shop and go in and fondle the yarn. See what it's made of and that will give you a good start. I suppose. I LOVE going into those stores and looking at all the stuff I can't afford, mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:37 pm
QueenBea
Can't tell you names BUT find a yarn shop and go in and fondle the yarn.

Just loved the word "fondle" there, so perfect!

Baby alpaca is also very soft, but expensive. I don't have any brands either, sorry.  

fireclaws

NightRainSpirit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:12 am
Patrons
&
Brown Sheep Company

Try those out! =^-^= Before ur cat does.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:43 pm
So far, I've found Wool-Ease to be the best, but I guess that's probably because it's made mostly of acrylic. xp

But yeah, I'm hoping to go to a couple of yarn stores while I'm home so I can fondle yarns. lol  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

spacekitten

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:16 pm
Alpaca and mohair are good, soft natural fibers. Alpaca is more expensive than mohair, but both are kinda pricy.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:24 pm
My daughter and I always "pet" the yarn when we have time to hit the craft section of Walmart. Last tim we were there she found some very soft 100% acrylic yarn that she's making a striped scarf out of. I'm pretty sure it's Caron brand Simply Soft. I found a wonderfully soft sport weight yarn from Bernat called Softee Baby that I'm planning to make into a hat for my nephew as soon as I can find the right size circular needles. Our Walmart doesn't carry any wool or wool blend yarns though, so when I really wanted wool I went to Goodwill and found a wool sweater I liked that I could take apart.
Tutorials for taking apart sweaters are here:
http://www.neauveau.com/recycledyarn.html
and here:
http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/thrifty.html  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:15 am
Caron brand simply soft is the best yarn (in my opinion) if you can't spend too much. It comes in a variety of colors, it feels GOOD, and its not to expensive. I'm pretty sure you can order it from their website (http://www.caron.com) i've made quite a few things out of it, its a simple yarn. It looks like if you order straight from caron.com they don't charge shipping... hmm... *didn't know that, always buys from micheals*  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:22 am
If you're looking to go all out, my favorite wool is Karabella's Aurora 8 100% Merino. It's heaven, but too expensive for me, the only reason I was able to get ahold of it was that it was for a comission and it was my clients yarn of choice.  

~neko neko kitty~

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:08 pm
If you don't want scratchy, but you do want wool, you'll love merino wool. Anything made of merino wool is divine! It's really all I use anymore. If you want a machine washable and dryable wool that doesn't pill too much, I recommend Louet Gems. It's sooo soft and extreamly sturdy. After that I recommend King Filatura Extra. It's not machine washable, but it doesn't pill. Ever! Both are pretty pricey, but you do get what you pay for. And the prices aren't bad if you only need two balls for a hat or mittens or something. If the garment doesn't have to be super sturdy, there are other merinos that don't cost so much. Mission Falls 1824 is very affordable and nice. If you're looking for something SUPER warm, it doesn't get much warmer than Classic Elite Wings. The yarn is over half alpaca (which is about 35% warmer than wool), a quarter silk (which is also known for warmth), and a quarter wool. Not only that, but it has a hollow core which insulates. I can personally vouch for the warmth. I made a panta out of this stuff and my ears have been toasty all winter. Oh, and it's super soft as well. Hope some of that gave you some ideas!  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games