Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Fort Hood thing...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:33 pm
User Image

So, for those of you who haven't checked the news or don't live in the US, a mass shooting occurred recently in a military event in Texas that killed 13 people and wounded more than 25.

Now you may think it's another one of those shootings that don't really relate to you, but what really bugged me was what the shooter (there was only one gunman) said just before he began firing at the innocent people. The suspect, named Nidal Hasan, is a devout Muslim and reportedly yelled "Allahu Akbar" (Arabic for "God is great") before he opened fire. My question is this: how can anyone say one thing and just do so much of the opposite? God is great (if he existed) and so you would go and kill 13 people? wtf? I don't understand where this logic comes from.

What about you? What do you think was this man's rationale behind his shooting? And have you (or known anyone) been in the situation where your lips are saying one thing and then you're doing something completely different?

And here is the news article: http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/11/05/eleven-dead-at-ft-hood-worst-soldier-on-soldier-violence-in-u/
And here is the wikipedia page for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Hood_shooting

Oh, btw, Hasan apparently graduated from Virginia Tech, which immediately reminded me of the Virginia Tech school shooting tragedy. Is it just me or is this creepily coincidental?

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:11 pm
wow I heard that there was a shooting at that military base but I didnt hear that it was a religious shooting...guess that just the christian news networks trying to keep us from knowing this kind of information. what I was surprised about was that the military wasnt able to stop him...in their own base.  

FuzzBall 005

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:21 pm
User Image
FuzzBall 005
wow I heard that there was a shooting at that military base but I didnt hear that it was a religious shooting...guess that just the christian news networks trying to keep us from knowing this kind of information. what I was surprised about was that the military wasnt able to stop him...in their own base.

Well it was during a college graduation ceremony for soldiers so everyone wasn't armed and there were family members (aka civilians) present.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:42 pm
Religion is like humanity's alcohol; in moderation it's harmless.

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

dl1371

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:44 pm
[-Erik-]
Religion is like humanity's alcohol; in moderation it's harmless.

karl marx said, religion is the opiate of masses
in small doses it feels good,
but if you overdose, your screwed  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas