Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Corruption in my City Council

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:42 am
Alright, so, I turned 18 this year and finally got to vote for the first time in my life. So I was doing research for my city council, and here are some things I learned:
-3 of the 7 members all go to the same church.
-That church isn't even in my city-It's in the next city over.
-That church has funded 5 out of 7 city council members' campaigns
-The church has a whopping 60 members in total

Needless to say, this has outraged a lot of people. Most people in my city aren't eve very religious. We already have issues of trust with our council-They don't have public forums very often, and now it seems like many of them are going along with outside religious interests. Of course, all of the incumbents were reelected this year because no one votes on off-years, so it doesn't look like things are going to change anytime soon.

It pisses me off, and I felt like complaining here.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:14 pm
Unfortunately that's how politics works, kissing the asses of whatever large group you can to get their power backing you up in a campaign. People do it for greed AND power.  

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200

dl1371

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:18 pm
Labyrinthknight7
Unfortunately that's how politics works, kissing the asses of whatever large group you can to get their power backing you up in a campaign. People do it for greed AND power.

aye
*mumbles about capitalism*  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:38 pm
If you can prove that the church funded any city council member's campaign then that should be enough to get that church's tax-exempt status removed from it by the government since it is not allowed to do that. I'd highly suggest doing this if you're sure that the church used (or is still using) its funds to fund campaigns. If you can convincingly prove this, it shouldn't be too hard to get the church's tax-exempt status taking away from it.  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items