Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaia's Official Body Modification Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Facial & Oral Piercings
Seconding the 'Do you think 13 is too young?' topic.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Komickal

2,250 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:46 pm
Okay, so keep in mind that my parents hold all the facial piercings to the stereotypical 'punk' idea, my family has been in the military [my father a marine, my grandpa fought in WWII, god-father was a master sergeant, four cousins in iraq currently] and so, I may only be 13, but I've been looking into piercings for almost two years now. I would like; Three Rings/Bars through left eyebrow, Septum, lobe gauges (a 4, 2, 0, 00), cartlidge piercings, nape piercings, dahlia piercings, and a bridge piercing. Now, the problem is, I'm terribly afraid to tell my parents about what I want, because they'll pull the "Oh, you're only 13, it's just irrational thinking right now" I'm well aware that scars could be pernament, and I'm well aware that size gauge doesn't close up, and after thinking about it for two years, I'm pretty sure I want all them DEFINATELY. So, thought, please?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:09 am
I would advise getting one thing at a time, and starting with a lobe piercing/s. That way, you can stretch those up while working on your family for the rest. Also get them done professionally because if you do them yourself, then it just makes you look immature and whiny.

Maybe make a good grades for a year = piercing type of deal, to show you're really serious about wanting it?

If all else fails, you may have to just wait until you turn of age...but the fact that you waited that long to get them done properly also shows them that you really really want them.  

Nekojin_cat

6,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

wowippyiscool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:37 pm
The bottom line is, 13 is too young.
I'm not saying that as "I'm an adult and you're ******** retarded",
I'm saying it because your body is still growing.

Not only will you get scars, but the scars could possibly
get larger and become discolored if your body isn't finished growing up.

For the love of self-respect, WAIT.
And I promise, your mind will change about the piercings you want.

If you really, really want them then waiting
only a few short years would be worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:34 pm
You are 13 and that is way too young for the serious facial piercings that you want. One because as another poster said your body is still growing, two because no one would take you seriously and no good piercer in their right mind would pierce a 13 year old, three because by the time you can legally get pierced you will have mostly likely changed your mind about what piercing you want and could regret any that you did get.

I would suggest continuing to do serious research and learning everything you can and educating your parents on it. If they say no though respect them enough to wait til you are at least 18 to get them.

Start out with getting your lobes pierced once and slowing stretching them [the safe way] that way it will help curb the piercing itch and also make the time till you can get piercings go quicker. Also I would wait one stretching you first lobe piercings to the you goal size or close before getting the seconds that way you won't have to deal with irritation if the piercings get to close together.

Tink_ of WonderOz

2,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:49 am
I got my nose pierced when I was 12.
I was bugging my mother for a piercing and she said that she would let me get that if I shut up until I was 15. ;p
She took me to a great shop.. the piercer didn't really want to do it at first and wasn't sure that a 12 year old could take care of a piercing but my mom and I convinced him! ;p
I took care of it and it healed beautify; I still have it and I'm 19.

Nose piercings and ear piercings are fine; but don't stretch until you are sure you want too and don't go overboard with things.. you'll have plenty of time to do that in the future!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:41 am
I agree completely with Nekojin and Milady. 3nodding

Of course I lied when I got my navel pierced (I was 17, legal here is 1 cool - and pierced my nose myself (16 or 17), so I'm just a douche.

At the age of 15, I had my lobes pierced, I'm a poor healer and even that was a trial to get it to heal (I'd had them done when I was 4 or 5 beforehand, but yeah... don't pierce small children's ears unless the parent is going to take all the cleaning upon themselves). A year later I went through and had one more in each lobe. They infected even worse than my first set, and one had to be removed by a medico. When that was all healed up I had the bung one repierced, and luckily that healed nicely. My third set were about as much trouble as my first set, and for that I'm thankful. C:

What I'm trying to say is... no matter your age, whether you're still growing or not, piercings can just totally screw over no matter if you're doing everything right or not. I say wait, at least until you're semi-legal. xD Read up on care, and take it slowly when you do finally take the plunge, ask your piercer questions and go back to them if you have problems.

Genea

Sexy Glitch

Pink Plaid

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:47 pm
Just wait it out. It makes it even more worth it.

I had wanted so many piercings and to stretch my ear lobes since I was 12.

I waited until the legal age (16 where I am) and had a job to pay it my self for all my piercings, and I waited until I was almost 18 before I actually started stretching my earlobes.

Trust me, the wait makes you appreciate it so much more.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:46 pm
Yeah...13 is just too young. I'm only 16, but I respect my parent's wishes of me not getting piercing til I'm 18. (though they have hinted I could possibly get a my septum pierced in the near future surprised ) It'll make it worth something to me, and I know exactly what I want done, so it's not like it's gonna change in just 2 years.

Honestly, when I see 13 year old girls with lots of piercings (the most popular being snakebites or eyebrow piercings...yuck) I think they're trying to hard to look cool or fit into whatever scene they're in, and most of the time it looks trashy.  

Emmikat

charliebaex

Tipsy Lover

6,550 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:38 pm
I agree about waiting. That, and any good shop won't pierce a thirteen-year-old. Most, at that age, will only do lobe.

I'm very thankful I waited til I was sixteen to start piercing myself. When I was twelve or thirteen, I really wanted huge lobes, snakebites, a monroe, etc. Basically, a facefull of metal. If I'd gotten them done when I wanted to, it'd be much more difficult to find a job, be taken seriously by my professors (I'm in college) and I've changed my mind about almost all of them. I grew up with very traditional parent's so I had to wait since I was ten (I'm seventeen now).

I really think you should wait til you've thought about it all for a while so you know about how it's going to affect the other parts of your life and if you know for sure that's what you want. Don't do them yourself. I've heard horror stories about young kids gettin pissed about havin to wait, piercing themselves, and getting infected. Just be careful. A friend of mine died because of the horrible infection he got after he pierced his tongue himself.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:00 pm
Okay, I'm going to give a heavily biased opinion. This is just a forewarning. Also, I'm not trying to sound like a douche.

I'm 16. My mom won't allow me facial piercings for pretty much the same reason as your family - she's conservative about the facial piercing thing.

I would like a septum, a bridge, and spider bites. But, like you, when I was 13, I thought all of those piercings were amazing. After doing research, I found out some serious information about all of those piercings.

Before you get dead set on the piercings, you need to find out if any of them are linked to the following: disease, decay, etc.

Like, spider bites make your gums more likely to recede, and a septum piercing can have adverse effects on you if you have bad allergies or are prone to nose bleeds, and any oral piercing can mess up your teeth.

Piercing is permanent. If your skin is allergic to the metal, it can get infected badly and take years to heal. Your body can reject the piercing. You can ******** up your mouth. ETC. There are lots of factors to consider before you get pierced.

So, in the almost 4 years (I'm turning 17 in 27 days! 8D) that I've thought about these piercings, I've limited my facial piercing wants to like 4, and I'm STILL on the fence about all of them.

In all honesty, 2 years isn't enough time to think about a piercing you want. And like someone else said, you just get them one at a time.

Also, don't stretch up (gauge - which is improper terminology by the way) unless your parents give permission. I know plenty of adults who hate stretching more than facial piercing. And if your parents and family have military background, I don't know how hardcore they'd hate stretching, but I'm sure they wouldn't like it.

Unfortunately, you'll probably just have to wait until you're 18 and have the money to do what you want. And even then, if you're still living with your parents, they can kick you out. So you shouldn't do anything that you'd regret. You'll just have to wait, I'm sure.

Uh, I was going to say something else too, but I forgot what it was. If I think about it I'll post it, okay?

Mostly, I wish you luck with your parents.

OH, I remembered it.
Most respectable piercers (in their right minds) would never pierce a 13 year old - even with parental consent. And besides, I think it's illegal in most states to pierce anyone under the age of 18 without parental consent. Or at least that's how it is where I live. So if your parents don't consent you'll REALLY have to wait.

Aside from that, people tend not to take you seriously when you have a whole bunch of facial piercings. They usually dismiss you as a whimsical hooligan who knows nothing. Even if you happen to be intelligent and have the IQ of Einstein, you would probably have a hard time getting a job.

So, when considering piercings (especially facial piercings), you should consider things you can hide easily. If I were to get a job (mom won't let me), I'd have to buy plugs that look like regular earrings, or I'd have to buy flesh colored plugs. I've stretched up to a size 4 gauge. I honestly want to go to a 2 and stop.

I don't really like the way gauges look after a size 2. They just get too big. I don't know. I actually like where I'm at, but I'm thinking about stretching to a 2 for practicality, since you can find **better jewelry suited to a size 2 and up.

**By better, I mean jewelry that's healthiest for your ears.
Like nice glass plugs.

Okay, so overall, there's just a lot of responsibility that comes with stretching and piercings of any sort. And it all takes time. You have to let your body heal before you do a whole bunch of stuff to it.

My rant is done now.
I hope I helped a little.

My intent was not to persuade you from getting piercings, no, because they're a way of self-expression and life, but maybe you should just wait. You did a good job, waiting and researching for two years, just give it more time. And don't get all of the piercings within a small amount of time. Consider which ones you want the most and ask for them. If not, back off for a while and then talk to your parents/family/whoever about why you want them.

I've done that and I still haven't swayed my mother. ):

Good luck, and be safe! :]  

cosmicqueer

Sparkly Shapeshifter

Facial & Oral Piercings

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out