Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Angels, Demons, and hidden meanings

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:11 pm
The other day, I saw Angels and Demons.
Now, I was one of the people that didn't care too much for the Divinchi Code; however, I had confidence in this movie.
After renting it, I began to watch it.
( Of course, these movies are extremely complex and only someone who watches every detail will understand. )
Sadly, I was dragged away a few times so I didn't get to see the ENTIRE movie. However, I got the just of it.

* WARNING: Spoiler alert! *
I begin to learn of two churches. ( Or organizations as you will... )
One church is all for the faith in God, following behind the Pope.
Another church does not TECHNICALLY believe in God but are searching for scientific ways on how he could exist.
The entire movie, along with the novel, was based on the conflict between the Illuminati and the Roman Catholic Church. ( Science and Religion. )

As you guessed, this movie was full of twists and turns with only a few goofs like the way they avoided the nuclear explosion device.
( Moving the device into the air with a helicopter would only improve the blast. Reason why nuclear bombs are so destructive. )

Anyway, to some it up, the pope dies and so are protagonists move to the location of the church. They are warned of a terrorist attack by the Illuminati and begin to take action.
There is an assassin working under this group and our protagonists quickly kill him.
However, nearing the end, it turns out that the Illuminati had no actual involvement with the events.
Infact, as known by few, they were extinct long ago.
It was merely plot engineered by the camerlengo to cover his own plans.
However, I don't remember exactly who or what these people are due to me not paying attention. x__x

When the movie ending, it broke down to this simple math equation.

Science (?) Religion
Battles take place...
Science was never involved.
= Religion.

Religion was the only one left standing in the mix of it all.
Based on what I know, because I payed small attention to the movie since it barely sparked my interests at times, I can only conclude on this moral:

Science is never the enemy of the people, only what the common beliefs make it to the people.

This was decided mostly from the ending of the movie to other things involving the world and the internet like strawmen, pro-religion, and anti-atheist ideas.

However, considering I was BARELY intoned to the movie, perhaps I am wrong on some of my facts. Even so, the moral still seems pretty just in a way of looks.

Tell me, what do you think?

Discuss:
Angels & Demons, Religion, Science, strawmen, morality, and Kanye West.
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:38 am
Have you ever played Assassin's Creed basically the same thing but in a game format WHERE you can kill people, yay.  

Dark Lord Erebus

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:01 pm
So let me get this straight...
Science is NOT the enemy of the people?

VATICAAAAAAN, YOU GOT SOME EXPLAINING TO DO.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:25 pm
Dark Lord Erebus
Have you ever played Assassin's Creed basically the same thing but in a game format WHERE you can kill people, yay.

I have. I was also interested in the format. However, I wanted the idea of it being further in the future currently to be discovered LATER in the story instead of so soon. Kinda ruined the magic I guess.

You have a point there, but then it gets lost as well.
Assassin's Creed's moral was slightly different from Angels & Demons, mostly because Angels & Demons spoke of how the epic tale of Science vs Religion could unravel. Assassin's Creed spoke of the corruption of science if used for personal gain, in a way.
However, that is a nice comparison.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:26 pm
Pirate Captain Sushi
So let me get this straight...
Science is NOT the enemy of the people?

VATICAAAAAAN, YOU GOT SOME EXPLAINING TO DO.

I tried speaking with him but he wont open his door. :{  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff