Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Old Testament/Torah = Horror Fiction

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:36 am
If you happen to have a bible, list verse(s) that irritates you/makes you laugh/etc that are from the Old Testament/Torah.

We'll exclude the rest of the bible [New Testament for later discussions]

Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and burn their Asherah poles in the fire; cut down the idols of their gods and wipe out their names from those places. [Deuteronomy 12:3] [NIV]

Luckily we have freedom of religion in the US.

You must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. Destroy completely both its people and its livestock. [Deuteronomy 13: 15] [NIV]

This is referring to the people that worship the idols. And to think people believe in these scriptures and they think that this God [who is a jealous and angsty one] would tell them to kill. Apparantly it's not okay to kill Christians but it's okay to kill the Pagans.

o.O  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:10 am
so basically, god loves you, unless you worship another deity fascist in the sky?  

dl1371

Eccentric Detective

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:44 am
I had a class on how to interpret the Bible in high school. The best excuse they could come up with was that people's perception of God changed over the years, accounting for the drastic difference between the New and Old Testaments.

>_>
I don't think that fully explains it. Why would God let them think that way and allow them to say that those orders came from God?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:27 pm
dl1371
so basically, god loves you, unless you worship another deity fascist in the sky?

god loves you if you love him.
god wont like it if you worship other idols.

[i heard this crap every sunday]

EDIT: Oh and fascist is a good word to describe it. =]
[kudos for you]  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:28 pm
tearingXheavenXdown
I had a class on how to interpret the Bible in high school. The best excuse they could come up with was that people's perception of God changed over the years, accounting for the drastic difference between the New and Old Testaments.

>_>
I don't think that fully explains it. Why would God let them think that way and allow them to say that those orders came from God?

I don't know. Religion makes me -sigh-  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:46 am
I nominate the whole of Leviticus 15 and 12. This really irritated me when I was younger and attempting to see how these things came from a god that was supposedly loving and just.

If you are unfamiliar with those chapters, they contain the laws about women being unclean while they were on their periods and after birth (twice as long if they gave birth to a girl). How was it supposed to make sense that god designed women to be unclean and kept apart for a week a month? How is it unclean if god designed it?

Anyway, this perpetuated the belief still held by some that periods are dirty and wrong in some way, which pisses me off greatly.

I also still hold that killing people is wrong, even if god ordered it or did it himself. Murder is murder. It's estimated that in the Old Testament alone he killed around 3 million directly. If we count the whole human race dying because of sin, bacteria, viruses, human accident, etc then he effectively is causing the deaths of every single person. Good thing it's fiction, otherwise he would be more "sinful" than Hitler.

My religious family is still unable to answer whether it's wrong for their god to kill. If it is, then he's fallible and not so perfect after all, and if it isn't then we're holding him to a lower standard than supposedly "imperfect" humans.

Apologies for the rant/wall of text.

Calamity Rose

6,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100

dl1371

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:07 pm
LimeIzMyFaveColor
dl1371

[kudos for you]

hmm...
today i saw a sign that said: God loves you no matter who you are
hypocrites  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:55 pm
dl1371
LimeIzMyFaveColor
dl1371

[kudos for you]

hmm...
today i saw a sign that said: God loves you no matter who you are
hypocrites
Ooooh, that's worthy of a big.fat.LOL

rofl

"No matter who you are"

Right, like I believe that. rolleyes  

Henneth Annun

G4NTZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:53 pm
Exodus from start to finish was so horribly irritating. Even as reading material it's just over hyped bs. God literally came down to kill children but when christians look back they think of moses triumphently leading his people away from slavery (even that was drawn out for no particular reason leading to the death of many more egyptians)

Bored doesn't even begin to describe how i felt reading through instructions for dressing and building and sacraficing things for God.

It's books like Exodus that make me think barely anyone reads the bible as they would read an enjoyable book (like battle royal and gantz) by paying attention.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:33 pm
the one that irratates me is Psalm 48:11
Let mount Zion rejoice
Let the daughters of Judah be glad
Because of thy judgements
Walk about Zion and go round her: tell her bulwarks consider her palace;
That ye may tell it generation
folling.
For our God is our God for ever and ever :
He will be our giuld even unto death.FIRST LET ME SAY THAT IS THE MOST BORINGEST THING EVER
SECOND THAT IS BULL CRAP LIES LIES LIES AND MORE LIES JUST LIKE THE BIVLE NOTHING BUT LIES  

Imperfect_Elegance

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:19 pm
Where do they discuss the Tower of Babel?
Why did God get mad for them building a Tower to get to heaven, when he knows that to get to heaven you need to believe in him and die.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:17 pm
You know, God killed more people than Satan ever did. It's the truth, the Bible says so too. And they say he's merciful....  

BlackAngelDust

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff