Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
God will bring peace to earth Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:08 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Gracchia Saint-Justine
Quote:
As for your last topic, that is understandable. However, the post I made was NOT to involve religion but belief systems, which involved such.

You will also note that I made no mention of religion, either, but referred to a particular belief you mentioned, that being belief in witches, and identified it as common to "all pre-modern societies."

Quote:
God blamed Adam and Eve for committing evil when they knew nothing of morality what-so-ever and were not explained what evil was.

Actually, they ate from the 'tree of knowledge of good and evil,' so they did know. They covered up their nakedness because they now understood it to be shameful. I guess one could compare, for example, the thoughts of a dog, and then shooting it with some sci-fi ray-gun that gives it the mind of a mature inhabitant of an advanced capitalist society. All of a sudden, it will be embarassed that it's junk is hanging out.

Last Topic quote-
I'm just noting that I was talking of belief systems and not religion. I never stated you were talking of religion. ^^'

Adam and Eve-
They did eat from the tree. However, I never agreed with the story and it has confused me because of this. It seems to me like the story is saying that knowledge is evil...or something...

I hate to do this for the second time in less than a week, but:
"But here steps in Satan, the eternal rebel, the first free-thinker and emancipator of worlds. He makes man ashamed of his bestial ignorance and obedience; he emancipates him, stamps upon his brow the seal of liberty and humanity, in urging him to disobey and eat of the fruit of knowledge." - Mikhail A. Bakunin  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:21 pm
Lethkhar
"But here steps in Satan, the eternal rebel, the first free-thinker and emancipator of worlds. He makes man ashamed of his bestial ignorance and obedience; he emancipates him, stamps upon his brow the seal of liberty and humanity, in urging him to disobey and eat of the fruit of knowledge." - Mikhail A. Bakunin

It is amazing what Bakunin can come up with when he's not begging the tzar to be the saviour of the Slavs...

@Shinzo:
You might not agree with the story, but it is there...
Now, they ate from the tree of 'knowledge of good and evil.' It isn't that knowledge is evil, but that the knowledge of how to do good gomes with the knowledge of how to do bad, and vice verse. More correctly, one could say it provides the knowledge that you perform good and evil acts. They were naked before each other and before God, and didn't care, were innocent as children. But then they ate the fruit, and while their actions didn't change, they realised that they were doing something 'bad.' I could wax theological here, but I really don't feel like engaging in that form of mental masturbation at the moment. Basically, upon eating from the tree of knowledge, they gained the knowledge of morality, and could thereafter make moral choices and understand actions in a moral way. They knew good and evil.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:26 pm
Gracchia Saint-Justine
Lethkhar

It is amazing what Bakunin can come up with when he's not begging the tzar to be the saviour of the Slavs...

@Shinzo:
Now, they ate from the tree of 'knowledge of good and evil.' It isn't that knowledge is evil, but that the knowledge of how to do good gomes with the knowledge of how to do bad, and vice verse. More correctly, one could say it provides the knowledge that you perform good and evil acts. They were naked before each other and before God, and didn't care, were innocent as children. But then they ate the fruit, and while their actions didn't change, they realised that they were doing something 'bad.' I could wax theological here, but I really don't feel like engaging in that form of mental masturbation at the moment. Basically, upon eating from the tree of knowledge, they gained the knowledge of morality, and could thereafter make moral choices and understand actions in a moral way. They knew good and evil.

It still seems alittle...objective...but I can see your point. I still say there is a problem somewhere in here involving the moral and understanding of the actual idea and how the timeline even makes this correct.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:15 am
Captain_Shinzo
Gracchia Saint-Justine
Lethkhar

@Shinzo:

It still seems alittle...objective...but I can see your point. I still say there is a problem somewhere in here involving the moral and understanding of the actual idea and how the timeline even makes this correct.

Well, people who believe that story also believe that there is an objective morality, or at least a morality separate from humanity's thoughts on it.

What do you mean by 'timeline'?  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:28 am
Gracchia Saint-Justine
Captain_Shinzo
Gracchia Saint-Justine
Lethkhar

@Shinzo:

Well, people who believe that story also believe that there is an objective morality, or at least a morality separate from humanity's thoughts on it.

Timeline meaning the events taken place. Not to where it will make sense, but the time itself.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:48 pm
A quick Jester summary
-clears throught- If god exsists, he is a real f***ing douche bag who made evil only to make us see we had to follow him, or be burned for eternity.  

Jester the Nightmare

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:16 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Gracchia Saint-Justine
Captain_Shinzo
Gracchia Saint-Justine
Lethkhar

@Shinzo:

Timeline meaning the events taken place. Not to where it will make sense, but the time itself.

In that case, of course there are issues. For one, it is religion, secondly, it is the religion of an advanced bronze age culture warped and debased by a tribe which had almost no culture of its own.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff