Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Causing America to crumble?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esanx

Perfect Hero

19,825 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:12 pm
In health class today, we had a guest speaker. He started out talking about how drugs are bad , because he was meant to come it and tell us smoking is bad. Well, I don't know how it led to it, but he began to talk faith. "Those who are faithless are causing America to crumble." I got angry at that, he's blaming Athiests for America's economy. I didn't say anything because I wanted to be respectful to the guy. He had an artificial voice box, so he's been through alot.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:23 pm
Do you go to a public school?

That's unacceptable. I would have walked out. People like that don't deserve your respect.  

Lethkhar

Esanx

Perfect Hero

19,825 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:30 pm
Yah, its a public school.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:40 pm
That is really messed up. Personally, I would have been really rude on that part. Coughing, playing the p***s game, flashing satanic signs quickly, ect...
Do not get me wrong, I feel somewhat sorry for people who have gone through rough times. However, if you are doing something very rude publically, especially in school, and you do not have a mental problem, I will not give you any remorse. Especially if your proselytizing a group.

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNNsbre83Ec

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Imperfect_Elegance

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:56 pm
That is so rude I would have got mad too. can't believe someone would say that we aren't the ones making America crumble it's most of the world. I think he's a guest speaker he is suppose to tell us good things not stupid crap like that I would have spoke out and explain what I think.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:24 pm
You know, that's exactly what Hitler said about the Jews before the Holocaust.

Call him a Nazi, that's sure to piss him off, or even better, assume that Nazis are Atheistic Communists, and call him both at the same time.  

dl1371

OtakuJeannie

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:13 pm
Funny how this 'God' loves to punish the 'faithless' by dragging a whole bunch of innocents into this. And how does faith save one from falling to the greed and shortsightedness that crashed our economy? I am sure that most of the business elete at least pretend to be god fearing christians.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:50 pm
So what if the guy has to eat through a tube? A flawed argument is a flawed argument, specially if it's biased.

Correcting one's argument isn't being disrespectful, you're actually doing them a favor.

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:15 pm
[-Erik-]
So what if the guy has to eat through a tube? A flawed argument is a flawed argument, specially if it's biased.

Correcting one's argument isn't being disrespectful, you're actually doing them a favor.

Exactly. Let me give an example of power and how, even if they are superior, it can be morally wrong.

I have been reading a small novel series entitled "Keys to the Kingdom" and I'm on the 5th book "Lady Friday".
When the main character wakes up, he walks over to his temporary overlord.

* The main character had to appoint a temporary overlord since the main character has other mortal things to do. *

This overlord, Dame Primus, says that their enemy, the Piper, has come back after years of being gone and returns.

* Long ago, the Piper stole thousands of people, including children, and made them his servants. *

Because the Piper has powers to control the Piper's children, Dame Primus wants to execute all of the Piper's children.
Arthur, our main friend, has told Dame Primus that this would be wrong.
" You can't just kill 200 thousand Piper's children! They are alive! "
and, as our supposed leader of reason states:
" Why not? I will tell you why we should...because we can. "

Now, I hope your still awake. I think you get my point from reading this. Now matter what title you give someone, there is a great possibility that they will want to do something that is morally wrong in the eyes of another.
In this case, this speaker who is SUPPOSED to be higher then the students, tried to proselytize his views onto the class. I'm not surprised the class didn't go in an uproar. Then again, this IS America.

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games