Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Bless you Vs. Gesundheit Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ranch_and_potatos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:43 pm
so i sneezed in history and this one kid who i hate was like GOD BLESS YOU in a real ignorant way and i just gave him a dirty look and this one kid who always copies off of me was just like *stand up* *say in a dirty tone* you are supposed to say thank you! and i was just like *give even dirtier look* no thank you! and then two days later he was like *duhhh* what did you get for number 3  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:31 am
Seriously, don't get bothered by something that small. If you have the energy to be pissed off at someone saying 'god bless you' then you ave the energy to get pissed off about, and do something about, something bigger, somethign that is actually harmful.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:11 pm
I don't say "Bless you", but I still say "Thanks" if someone says it when I sneeze. I understand that most of the time people are simply saying to try and be polite and not to push any religious dogma down my throat.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:19 pm
I say "Gesundheit" but only because my grandparents are from Germany originally so it's just something my family does. I don't really mind if people say "Bless you" or whatever, just as long as it keeps those pesky demons out, right? twisted xd  

55may55

Viva la Zombies

3,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:22 pm
I heard that "Bless You" comes from the age of the Black Plague. You told someone "Bless You" when they sneezed in an attempt to ward off death if the person had the black plague.

Personally, I say "bless you" if I'm not thinking due to accursed fundamentalist christian elementary schooling ><. I try to just say "gesundheit", though.

When I sneeze, though- people tend to scream "JESUS" and "CHRIST!" because my sneezes come out of nowhere and are really loud.  
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:16 am
I just say "Bless You" just because it's polite. Not for any religious reasons, it's just what we say. And of course, I always say thank you after some says it to me. Even if they say "God Bless You" because well... again, it's polite. I really don't mind. If someone wants to save my soul, that's cool. They're showing concern for my well-being and I appreciate it!  

MissDemeter

migoto-kami

Greedy Genius

5,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:17 pm
I don't say anything. Why does sneezing have to be a social event?  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:47 am
I say "bless you". I'm not about to super-edit my speech just because I'm an atheist. These words now have meanings beyond the religious. When I call you a "God-dammed ********", I don't really mean you are damned by God and that you're ******** a mother. Lol. Not that I use that phrase that often.

I thought about "excuse you", but it's a little... presumtuous, in my opinion. You say "excuse me" when you bump into someone because you inconvenience them. To say "excuse you" kind of says "you're doing something wrong", although I'm probably looking waaaaay too much into it. sweatdrop

It really isn't that big of a deal. But for some reason, "gesundheit" annoys me. You don't speak German. You speak English. D<  

Pallas Athea

6,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items