Submit

CYBERPUNK PANDA

Ursine Lunatic

16,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:05 pm
In all honesty from what is going on in the world, I would not be surprised if the depression that's worse or as bad as the 1930's happens again soon. Lots of people will suicide then. Suicide is a cowardly way out of your problems, everyone who doesn't live in a bubble or sheltered life has encountered thoughts or has pondered suicide I believe.

I once had that feeling was thinking about taking a plunge off the bridge that would drop me into rapids and undertow. I got the hell over it and have been doing great since. Though honestly if things get as bad for me as it had, I might lose it and have disregards for others more then myself sweatdrop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:26 pm
xX_Kyro_Freed_Xx
In all honesty from what is going on in the world, I would not be surprised if the depression that's worse or as bad as the 1930's happens again soon. Lots of people will suicide then. Suicide is a cowardly way out of your problems, everyone who doesn't live in a bubble or sheltered life has encountered thoughts or has pondered suicide I believe.

I once had that feeling was thinking about taking a plunge off the bridge that would drop me into rapids and undertow. I got the hell over it and have been doing great since. Though honestly if things get as bad for me as it had, I might lose it and have disregards for others more then myself sweatdrop
User Image
I hear suicide called 'easy' and 'cowardly' a lot, but when I hear it from people who admit to having contemplated it, I have to admit the irony makes me giggle.

I don't understand how acting in spite of the survival instinct is easy or cowardly; in fact, cowardice and half-assery can make a suicide into a suicide attempt. It takes incredible nerves and resolve to do something that you know is going to kill you.

User Image

Cabron the Swan

GrowingDandelion

5,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:49 pm
xX_Kyro_Freed_Xx

Knock on wood! KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:49 pm
Oh dear, you still believe there is an actual point to life.
The only point an organism serves is to keep the species going, a little truth my high school bio teacher dropped on me. Anything besides that is moot.

Kuzodav
Suicide is thought to be 'selfish'. At first I was like 'Yeah! Selfish!' but then I began to think about it. Nothing you do matters, so nothing is selfish

Wrong. Everything is selfish. Humans are a very self-serving race if you haven't noticed. As much as some people try to deny it, everything we do is to satisfy ourselves. Example, that "warm tingly" feeling people get for the "selfless" act of helping others. They aren't doing it to help others, they're doing it to feel better about themselves.
The reason suicide is selfish is because at it's core it's all about you. You can't take life anymore, so you want to end it, ******** what other peoples feelings are. Why should you care? You'll be dead! Even if there is an afterlife your interactions with the people you left behind will be severed.
Leading to my next point. Who cares if "life is pointless"? Do whatever pleases you. Does it really matter if you make a difference in the big picture? You're just over-thinking things.

Also "taking" implies your life isn't yours, the term is, in my opinion, incorrect when it comes to suicide.

Owwin
Suicide isn't some brave way to cheat destiny. It is forcing the future you want onto people who know you because they are forced to live without you.
Want to know a funner way to force a destiny onto others... kill them all. o.o
Honestly if your dad was mentally ill, chances are he found a way to justify his suicide before he committed it. But to contemplate the thought process of someone considering suicide from the perspective of never having honestly considered it yourself, in my opinion, is impossible.
Now, I didn't know your father, but I think that at least part of him wanted to escape his own mind. Suicide is constantly on my mind and I know I'd love to shut it up.
Sadly some of us can't find a way to drown out the voice(s).

Evamortte

CYBERPUNK PANDA

Ursine Lunatic

16,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:56 pm
GrowingDandelion
xX_Kyro_Freed_Xx
In all honesty from what is going on in the world, I would not be surprised if a depression that's worse or as bad as the 1930's happens soon. Lots of people will suicide then. Suicide is a cowardly way out of your problems, everyone who doesn't live in a bubble or sheltered life has encountered thoughts or has pondered suicide I believe.

Knock on wood! KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!

made sense to me at the time shush grammar nazi D:
there I edited it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:06 pm
Evamortte
Owwin
Suicide isn't some brave way to cheat destiny. It is forcing the future you want onto people who know you because they are forced to live without you.
Honestly if your dad was mentally ill, chances are he found a way to justify his suicide before he committed it. But to contemplate the thought process of someone considering suicide from the perspective of never having honestly considered it yourself, in my opinion, is impossible.
Now, I didn't know your father, but I think that at least part of him wanted to escape his own mind. Suicide is constantly on my mind and I know I'd love to shut it up.
To contemplate the thought process of someone you have never met is ,in my opinion, impossible. I don't like to be a jerk, but don't correct me on something I lived. I watched him turn into a whole different person over a two year period. He told me he knew it was wrong. He just couldn't handle it anymore. I stood behind his choice because I didn't want him to suffer, but that doesn't make it the right choice.
There may not be a point to life, but it is impossible for anybody to know for a fact that there isn't. Suicide is giving up on the experiment of life, and that is a ******** waste.  

Owwin

Evamortte

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:14 pm
Owwin
Evamortte
Owwin
To contemplate the thought process of someone you have never met is ,in my opinion, impossible. I don't like to be a jerk, but don't correct me on something I lived. I watched him turn into a whole different person over a two year period. He told me he knew it was wrong. He just couldn't handle it anymore. I stood behind his choice because I didn't want him to suffer, but that doesn't make it the right choice.
There may not be a point to life, but it is impossible for anybody to know for a fact that there isn't. Suicide is giving up on the experiment of life, and that is a ******** waste.
I didn't try to correct you. I just tried to shed some insight on someone who may have had a similar mind to my own. I'm sorry.
Honestly I was iffy on posting that part at all, but it gave me a way to segue into something I wanted to say anyway. :/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:32 pm
Evamortte
Wrong. Everything is selfish. Humans are a very self-serving race if you haven't noticed. As much as some people try to deny it, everything we do is to satisfy ourselves. Example, that "warm tingly" feeling people get for the "selfless" act of helping others. They aren't doing it to help others, they're doing it to feel better about themselves.

As a general rule of thumb, it's not wise to live by (or repeat in a serious discussion) anything that was said on Friends; especially by Joey. Just sayin'.
Evamortte
The reason suicide is selfish is because at it's core it's all about you. You can't take life anymore, so you want to end it, ******** what other peoples feelings are. Why should you care? You'll be dead! Even if there is an afterlife your interactions with the people you left behind will be severed.
Leading to my next point. Who cares if "life is pointless"? Do whatever pleases you. Does it really matter if you make a difference in the big picture? You're just over-thinking things.

Also "taking" implies your life isn't yours, the term is, in my opinion, incorrect when it comes to suicide.
Suicide is rarely, if ever, all about the person committing it. Teen suicides, for example, are often a sick and poorly-thought-out form of revenge, where suicides in the elderly are often motivated by not wanting to become a burden on your loved ones. Some suicides are committed out of disgust for the human race or a desire not to waste natural resources with a pointless life. It's also rare for suicidals to behave like they don't care what happens to the people and things they care about after they're gone; often they will make arrangements for pets, cut off commitments, and/or distribute their belongings while they are still alive.

Not to mention pretty much every suicide note I've ever read ends in something like 'please don't blame yourself/selves for this'. Most suicidals feel incredibly guilty about the people they will leave behind and the guilt only makes them feel worse. Not caring is about as far from the reality as you can be. xd

Cabron the Swan

Evamortte

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:06 pm
I honestly did not know I was quoting Friends, nor can I recall the scene I apparently quoted.

The "why should I care" argument is something I would always tell myself whenever I found myself thinking about the consequences of suicide too much. I have a lot of conflicting thoughts about suicide, it's one of the reasons I hate my mind so much. Echoing thoughts, lingering sentiments, inconsistencies, oh the inconsistencies.

I think I should just shut up now. It's hard to make my ideas on suicide clear to you when they aren't even completely clear to me. :/
Just know that I do agree with you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:55 pm
Evamortte
I honestly did not know I was quoting Friends, nor can I recall the scene I apparently quoted.

The "why should I care" argument is something I would always tell myself whenever I found myself thinking about the consequences of suicide too much. I have a lot of conflicting thoughts about suicide, it's one of the reasons I hate my mind so much. Echoing thoughts, lingering sentiments, inconsistencies, oh the inconsistencies.

I think I should just shut up now. It's hard to make my ideas on suicide clear to you when they aren't even completely clear to me. :/
Just know that I do agree with you.
User Image
It's the one with the PBS telethon; tried finding it on Jewtube but that's apparently not what it's called. Joey's argument when Phoebe donates to a station she hates in an attempt to find something completely unselfish is that the warm fuzzy feeling she gets afterward renders the entire action selfish.

God I am so white.

Anyway, I didn't think I'd have to explain why this is preposterous, but here goes. I could have not sent money to Haiti, bought some weed, and felt a lot better than 'warm and tingly', for a fair bit longer too. Unless I were a psychic and foresaw bringing it up later to disprove Joey logic, I can hardly see the selfishness in that decision.

Suicidal ideation and fantasies are not uncommon. It's a product of a society that has become so used to being able to make things go away with the flip of a switch or the press of a power button. Confusion is a sign that you don't really want to die, you just wish there were things in your life that were different. Active suicidals spend more time thinking about how they're going to get their hands on cyanide or who deserves the majority of their stuff.

I've been an enthusiast of this subject for years, so please don't feel put down when I confront your ideas. It's just something I like to discuss, I didn't mean any offense. ._.'

User Image

Cabron the Swan

Xahmen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:02 pm
This thread made me laugh, only because if I wasn't laughing I would be raging.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:20 pm
think on this for a second, thoughts of suicide are a sign of depression, thoughts of suicide are a possible side effect of depression medications.

fight fire with fire much?  

Xilo The Odd

Cabron the Swan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:45 pm
Xilo The Odd
think on this for a second, thoughts of suicide are a sign of depression, thoughts of suicide are a possible side effect of depression medications.

fight fire with fire much?
That occurs primarily in SSRI antidepressants, ones that put extra serotonin (the chemical associated with happiness) into the patient's system. Also, increased suicidal ideation only happens for the first few weeks as the brain and body adjust to the new balance.  
Social Room

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff