Prompt 24 "A Clockwork Orange"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 pm
My submission for prompt 24, also my first response to a writing workshop prompt. This is heavily based upon Stanley Kubrick's interpretation of "A Clockwork Orange", the novel of the same name by Anthony Burgess. To summarize the plot briefly:

The main character Alex and his gang of cronies are rapists and murderers who ply their trade at night after imbibing drugs in the form of milk. Alex and co. are eventually apprehended by the police, although all by Alex get away. Thus, Alex is sentenced to forty years in gaol, but after two years is released, as he has been selected for an experimental treatment, which takes only four weeks to complete. The treatment is essentially brain-washing, and causes Alex to be physically sick when he sees or tries to commit unmoral actions. Incidentally, he becomes sick whenever he hears Beethoven's ninth symphony as well. Once he is released, one of the victims finds him, and forces him to listen to the ninth, at which point Alex attempts suicide. This looks very bad for the government, so they act in a particular manner in response to this... but I won't spoil the ending. Wiki will, however, if one is more curious than inclined to watch the film or read the book.

Note that "A Clockwork Orange" is rated "R" (which means restricted) for a reason. It graphically depicts both violence (murder) and rape, and thus, is actually rated correctly, unlike most American films.

Feel free to offer opinions, critique, "feedback", or edits to this. Please realize that I have used self-imposed restrictions, thus, any suggestions etc. that violate those (they are obvious once the piece is read) will be ignored, as they are not relevant.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:51 pm
"A Clockwork Orange"

Heavy boots haul me down hallway,
Heedless of my honour and the harm they hand me.

Click,
Click,
Clunk.

Badges are bared, bear down o’er my body,
Berating my bold, bloody, and brutal behaviour.

Wink,
Wink,
Stare.

Time tolls down as my term is told,
Twenty and twenty turns of the till.

Tick,
Tick,
Ti- Ti- Ti- Ti- Ti-…

Down rows of rails, returnees wreak a row-
Rapist, I run to my reliquary of rest, reach respite.

A-gth-gth-gth-h,
A-gth-gth-gth-h,
Wheowww.

Father fears I have fallen far further down than feet through my feats,
Fends from fright, figuring my features fraught with ferocity.

Oh Lord, who art in Heaven,
Oh Lord, who art in Heaven,
Amen.

Murderer, I manage the mandate to move down to missionary’s ménage,
Myself then mightily maneuvered from meanness by master’s mind modification.

Ahhhh!
Ahhhh!
Iiieeee!

Having back this relinquished freedom – Murder.  

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

HolyDemonAndy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:39 pm
Prety neat. I think I understand. I like how you did, "feet," and, "feats." Quite well done.

The screaming seemed a tad unnecessary to me, however; although that's just me. Could've described it instead.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:57 pm
As expected I loved it.

The short onomatopoeia sounds added to the tension and got less and less recognizable.

Maybe it's just my lack of understanding english vocabulary, but the more I read the less I understood and it matched how I began to not understand the onomatopoeia sounds and that made everything more vague and stretched.

(Sorry I've been trying to understand the last line, but it just clicked I believe smile )  

Kasi Karra
Crew

Writing Workshop

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces