Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Creationist Lectures... Help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MercurialInK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:05 pm
So my school is private. And Jewish. And for the most part, filled with secular, free-thinking agnostics who have been heavily trained in debate and the fine art of thinking. There is the occasional radical idiot who goes around spewing his parents closed-minded thoughts on religion, but whatever.
And I have this class, Jewish Law. Its a pretty open class examining the logic behind certain jewish customs. Its actually a fantastic class, one of my favorites. Until the new head of my school took it over. Now I'm pretty much just getting creationist lectures trying to talk me down on evolution.

Have any of you guys faced onerous classes like this? If so, what do you do about it, and how do you deal with it?

~InK  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:33 pm
An easy way is to frame the person, trick him into belittling your Atheism or agnostic belief.
After that, you have the right to hire the free lawyers who will defend your beliefs with an almost 100% guarantee against a selective person or school.
If you like the idea, I can give you the name and site of one of them and you can try to go with the plan.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 am
Captain_Shinzo
An easy way is to frame the person, trick him into belittling your Atheism or agnostic belief.
After that, you have the right to hire the free lawyers who will defend your beliefs with an almost 100% guarantee against a selective person or school.
If you like the idea, I can give you the name and site of one of them and you can try to go with the plan.

That sounds like a really over-the-top thing to do that probably wouldn't work.

I'd probably just file a complaint with the registrar and make a request for a refund on that portion of my tuition, since I'm not actually being taught anything of value. They probably won't do it, but it'd at least make a statement and sort of annoy them.

Otherwise, just try to live through it.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:00 pm
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo

I'd probably just file a complaint with the registrar and make a request for a refund on that portion of my tuition, since I'm not actually being taught anything of value. They probably won't do it, but it'd at least make a statement and sort of annoy them.

It may be over-the-top but it is a sure-thing deal.  

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:54 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo

How so? He goes to private school; they're allowed to trash his beliefs all they want. It isn't illegal nor would it warrant financial compensation.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:04 pm
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo

How so? He goes to private school; they're allowed to trash his beliefs all they want. It isn't illegal nor would it warrant financial compensation.
Not exactly. A public school is allowed to teach personal beliefs but not allowed to trash or ruin other beliefs. It is technically public proselytizing and I'm not sure if it is allowed.  

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:54 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo

Not exactly. A public school is allowed to teach personal beliefs but not allowed to trash or ruin other beliefs. It is technically public proselytizing and I'm not sure if it is allowed.

But he goes to a private school. They pretty much have free reign insofar as what they do and do not teach.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:43 pm
Captain_Shinzo

this seems like a fine solution.  

Undecillion

Redem

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:02 pm
Honestly, I would simply complain about not being taught the subject of the class, and how much you loved the class back when it was about the subject. Do not try to frame it as you responding to creationist propaganda, you will lose that fight.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:01 pm
What do you do? Deal with it. It was your choice to go to a private jewish school, it seems as if you should have known that a private school would teach religion.
You can complain about the class not being about the subject, but that's not really a genuine. Better to be truthful than to lie and accomplish your agenda.  

dl1371

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:39 pm
I mean it is a private school, so I'm not really sure what you can do about it, but if the class is denying the theory of evolution then i'd try bringing up questions about the theory and see how the teacher responds to all of them and let him or her make a fool of themselves in front of the students.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games