Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
english class debates

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ranch_and_potatos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:14 pm
so my teacher decided it would be fun to have a series of three debates. the first two were stupid. the last one was every one of my topics that i proposed. However it was a combo of all of my- should we control breading, abortion, should we go against religion in science matters, ect.

so today was that day. me and everyone else was fired up to debate for 4 weeks now. and i must say i have never felt more that humanity was more doomed than i do now. on the one side i have about 5 or 6 people backing me up. on the other hand i have the extreme Christians who want to pop out ten kids. so i pointed out how really people only need 2 or 3 children, there is not a reason to have more. "i want to" is not a reason it is a statement.

then they said if they are good parents then there is no problem, and i couldn't make them understand that they are hurting the planet. i presented the statistics and the facts about population and they said i made up the facts. then they got back on the streak of, if you are a bad, stupid, teen and you get pregnant then having the kid should be your punishment. wahmbulance

they did not get that a foster home is not the answer and i pointed it out. they still didnt believe me. so i had to make a sincere heartfelt statement that would affect everyone. i told them of how i grew up in a neighborhood of not great standards (racism, drugs, drug wars, hookers, poverty, death, more death, abuse) I said " you all think you know what it is to be poor and have abusive families and alcoholic parents who beat you every night because you see it on tv. But you don't. i do. i have seen first hand starving people, violence, hatred, racism, prejudices, and the like while you all sat warm in your homes. i have seen rape and death up close. ( i was getting moved to the point of almost tears (i have chronic dry eye) and my hands were shaking at this point) i know people who get beaten to a pulp every night and you see them the next day without knowing, and you all say that the parents who have these kids are being punished by birthing them? No, those kids are being punished by having to live with those parents. They will eventually commit suicide if they aren't killed first. and the lucky few who get out alive will be scarred forever" the class was dead silent. i think i affected all but five people in that class forever. i think i changed their opinion. but then two minutes later someone said the parents should be punished by having to birth the kid. (everyone stared at them weird because i had just made a moving speech.) im not usually like this, i am a happy person who makes others happy, but i cant deny what i have lived through. i am lucky enough to have a few good family members to help me through those times. but others arent.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:27 pm
ranch_and_potatos
so my teacher decided it would be fun to have a series of three debates. the first two were stupid. the last one was every one of my topics that i proposed. However it was a combo of all of my- should we control breading, abortion, should we go against religion in science matters, ect.

so today was that day. me and everyone else was fired up to debate for 4 weeks now. and i must say i have never felt more that humanity was more doomed than i do now. on the one side i have about 5 or 6 people backing me up. on the other hand i have the extreme Christians who want to pop out ten kids. so i pointed out how really people only need 2 or 3 children, there is not a reason to have more. "i want to" is not a reason it is a statement.

then they said if they are good parents then there is no problem, and i couldn't make them understand that they are hurting the planet. i presented the statistics and the facts about population and they said i made up the facts. then they got back on the streak of, if you are a bad, stupid, teen and you get pregnant then having the kid should be your punishment. wahmbulance

they did not get that a foster home is not the answer and i pointed it out. they still didnt believe me. so i had to make a sincere heartfelt statement that would affect everyone. i told them of how i grew up in a neighborhood of not great standards (racism, drugs, drug wars, hookers, poverty, death, more death, abuse) I said " you all think you know what it is to be poor and have abusive families and alcoholic parents who beat you every night because you see it on tv. But you don't. i do. i have seen first hand starving people, violence, hatred, racism, prejudices, and the like while you all sat warm in your homes. i have seen rape and death up close. ( i was getting moved to the point of almost tears (i have chronic dry eye) and my hands were shaking at this point) i know people who get beaten to a pulp every night and you see them the next day without knowing, and you all say that the parents who have these kids are being punished by birthing them? No, those kids are being punished by having to live with those parents. They will eventually commit suicide if they aren't killed first. and the lucky few who get out alive will be scarred forever" the class was dead silent. i think i affected all but five people in that class forever. i think i changed their opinion. but then two minutes later someone said the parents should be punished by having to birth the kid. (everyone stared at them weird because i had just made a moving speech.) im not usually like this, i am a happy person who makes others happy, but i cant deny what i have lived through. i am lucky enough to have a few good family members to help me through those times. but others arent.
Famous words were once spoken by someone saying "Reality is a b***h. News is a story. "
Pretty much, you don't get the REAL feeling unless you get a point out. We have all been through tough times. I've almost died about 7 times in my life and witnessed a violent divorce with my parents. It's pretty rough. But are you more concerned if I told you this or if the news portrayed it?
It all depends on the ignorance, like the one kid everyone stared at.
People go with the motto that everyone deserves a chance to live, but no one thinks that everyone deserves the chance to live well.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

ranch_and_potatos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:37 pm
well said. personally for most of my life ever since i was little i have been trying to get peoples stories. i do not watch much of the news. i like to hear it from them, while in their environment. its one thing to hear children are starving in Africa with no parents. but to be there in their shack, watching them tell their story while they starve. it is an entire different story.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:12 pm
In one hand, it would be a good punishment for them to have 10 kids and be for ever in debt, but in the other one... those kids don't deserve such life.

Oh what am I to do?

If you have had me to back you up, I could have thrown in my cool (and by that I mean sad) story, bro.

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

ranch_and_potatos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:27 pm
[-Erik-]
In one hand, it would be a good punishment for them to have 10 kids and be for ever in debt, but in the other one... those kids don't deserve such life.

Oh what am I to do?

If you have had me to back you up, I could have thrown in my cool (and by that I mean sad) story, bro.

thanks i could have used all the help i can get. "so what if the planet is dying it will work itself out" thats what i kept hearing  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games