Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Views on Animal Cruelty...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:02 pm
I was reading some blogs about animal cruelty, most of them containing phrases like "This is an abomination before God" and similar things. I was wondering, should we threat these animals nicer just because God wants us to? Or should we just be kind to them simply because they are living things? Even a theist could see the obvious choice.

Any opinions?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:05 pm
i dont think there are any options. if an animal loves you then you love it back and take care of it. you dont beat it because it peed in the house while you were gone for two days. i could never ever, never, never, NEVER abuse my puppy. the occasional smack on the nose and pointed finger for eating garbage but there is a line between smack on the nose and broken rib. same as child abuse. difference between smack on the but for running into traffic and bruised liver.  

ranch_and_potatos

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:28 pm

I can see where a theist would be inclined to say that animal abuse is an abomination before God. There's nothing really wrong with that statement.

The important thing is that they understand why it should be considered "an abomination before God." "God said so" might work for them on one level, but it's important for them to look deeper and discover why "God said so."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:50 pm
I think animal cruelty is unacceptable, as long as human life is valued worth more. How many dogs is a human worth? If you could save every dog in the world or a single person, which would be chosen? I am not in favor of animal cruelty, but I would not kill a single person for the sake of a thousand animals.  

The Singular Enigma

dl1371

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:21 pm
Darkly Wishful
I was reading some blogs about animal cruelty, most of them containing phrases like "This is an abomination before God" and similar things. I was wondering, should we threat these animals nicer just because God wants us to? Or should we just be kind to them simply because they are living things? Even a theist could see the obvious choice.

Any opinions?
An anarchist would agree. Unfortunately, the only thing that keeps a lot of people from doing morally wrong things in the world (such as animal abuse) is the fact that they might end up in jail. Or in this case, their all powerful creator will punish them if they don't.

Essentially, all atheists who say that you can be moral without a God, believe anarchy works as well. Well at least having a God makes some people more moral, some stay just the same.

EDIT: I'm not saying religious people can't be immoral either, anyone can say that their God believes in murder, that was just saying that some atheists can also be immoral.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:28 pm
If they are referring to the Christian good, I'd find that statement unfounded, hell in the Old Testament sacrifice was required for certain things, including a sin offering for any children born, and don't forget that scapegoating originated from taking a real goat, leading it though town, having everyone put their sin's upon it's head and turning it out into the desert to die.

I find cruelty to any living thing wrong, not because god tells me, but because I do not like pain and I do not see any good reason to willfully inflict it upon others human or otherwise. I'm a little sensitive that way.  

OtakuJeannie

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:27 pm
Didn't they punish/kill vegetarians during the inquisition? I'm pretty sure the logic was that they are not grateful for God's gift of flesh or something like that.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:32 pm
I think animal cruelty is... Bad. Honestly, that's the only answer anyone can give if they have a conscience.

I don't know what the OP meant by "even a theist", I mean, really, I'm pretty sure theists as well as atheists can say, "Wait, I love animals, they're so beautiful and wondrous and blahblahblah, I could never be so terrible to another being," or, "Oh, wait. I'm a good person so I should do good things and not hurt that animal," or something else without appealing to a higher power.

For a theist, God is the ultimate good, and to say that something is "an abomination before God" is to say that "I find this to be one of the most disgusting things on the planet." It's also an attempt to point out an animal's worth, because the almighty cares about it, despite its seeming insignificance. I really don't see anything terrible about that line.

Furthermore, Christianity, because apparently that's the only religion worth raging at, has changed a lot since it's inception and the rise of the Inquisition. That's like hating all of the Japanese today because of Pearl Harbor. They're all completely different people with extremely differing beliefs, and to lump the population of today with a group from the past together is to deny their individuality.  

PetreyDish

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff