victorgee89

7,250 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:54 am
Time2Beep
Quote:
As people throughout the country struggle under the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, public education from pre-K to higher and adult education is threatened by budget cuts, layoffs, privatization, tuition and fee increases, and other attacks. Budget cuts degrade the quality of public education by decreasing student services and increasing class size, while tuition hikes and layoffs force the cost of the recession onto students and teachers and off of the financial institutions that caused the recession in the first place. Non-unionized charter schools threaten to divide, weaken and privatize the public school system and damage teachers’ unions, which are needed now more than ever. More and more students are going deep into debt to finance their education, while high unemployment forces many students and youth to join the military to receive a higher education. And all of the attacks described above have hit working people and people of color the hardest.

In California, students, teachers, workers, parents, and faculty have taken action against these attacks. They took to the streets in a one-day strike on September 24th, organized strikes and actions across the state during the University of California Board of Regents meeting from November 18th to 20th, and have called for a state-wide day of action on March 4th. These actions have created a broad mass movement in California, drawing in students from all over the state to create a powerful struggle. As the effects of the economic crisis continue to spread into the education system nationally, it’s time to join our voices with students and workers in California and draw inspiration from their example.

We support each group or coalition organizing in the manner and for the duration of their choosing. In solidarity with those in California, we the below-signed individuals and organizations call on students, teachers, workers, parents, faculty, and staff across the country to join together on March 4th to Take A Stand For Education!

More info here

Did anyone actually go to the protest?

I'm in San Francisco and the one in Civic Center was packed with students, parents, teachers, supporters, news reporters, etc.

It was a great time for everyone to express themselves!

Revolt, for your education:
don't just stand back and let them point out what you got to
learn.
for their gettin' their needs from teaching you SH!T......

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:29 am
Rein Shadowin
They need to find something else to cut. Like maybe they should buy cheeper school lunches. Or maybe they shouldnt make so many churches!
There has got to be something else they can friggen cut!

They should cut their own wrists lol  

Time2Beep
Crew

Chibi-Alice N

550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:31 pm
I am terribly sad that my teachers at my high school are getting fired because of this (except for my 9th grade english teacher, she was mean to everyone!!!!).

BUT, WHAT I AM EVEN MORE PISSED OFF ABOUT IS THE FACT THAT, they are fireing our awsome teachers and replacing them with new and inexperienced teachers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:01 am
User Imagewe dont need no education twisted just kidding um i wanted to go dat day but some unfinished work came up plus too much to complete on my agendas  

koha the wise

Familiar Genius

6,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
♪ Chatterbox

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers