Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Study (Research)
I got rocks. Now what?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

8Bit Jack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:30 pm
Here and there, I pick up stones because they seem to have properties I need or sound like they're capable of interesting things. I've gathered a bundle thus far, but I'm not certain on how to rightfully use each of them. User Image
Top row: Aventurine (1), Sodalite (3), Tektite (2), Moldavite (4)
2nd Row: Orange Calcite (3), Optical Calcite (1), Green Calcite (1), Kunzite (1), Apatite (1), Quartz Cluster (1)
3rd Row: Singer Quartz [Maybe Lemurian Seed?] (1), Phantom Quartz (1), Iolite Bloodstone (1), Blue Tiger's Eye (1), Blue Agate (1)
Bottom Row: Fluorite (1), Ametrine (1), Labradorite (2) Lapis Lazuli (1), Malachite (1), Red Jasper [I think] (1)

The only stones that I've really been able to interface with have been my Labradorite and Moldavite. They all have varied uses, but I don't know 1) what they can be precisely used for and 2) how to go about using them. I try meditation with many of them, but maybe it's just my own shortcoming that I can't meditate for crap.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:43 pm
Ok the ones that are Good

The Aventurine
Apatite

The Unsmoothed Orange Calcite
Maybe the green calcite

Both the Tektite

Those are the ones that I would probably use the most.

Maybe the Quartz cluster

The Kunzite feels like it might be good for storying energy. The Quartz for Directing energy... Not for storage though.

The tektite and aventurine seem like they have alot of Raw power. The different colored Calcite seem like they would be good to use for spell work. The smoothed calcite not so much.

The short quartz seems useless The iolite feels interesting.
The apetite has some natural energy and feels pliable.  

Ishtar Shakti

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 pm
The ones that you worked with don't really strike my interest at all hmmm  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:54 pm
There are rock encyclopedias that you can use to find the properties of certain rocks, but their information isn't all that great. They don't quite take into account the person using the rocks, and they're filled with New Age buzzwords that don't make any sense. Sometimes they'll have really good pictures if you need help with identification, though.

If you're going to use rocks, they should have meaning to you and should be used according to what you want to do with them.

The first step is probably cleaning your rocks, both physically (when possible) and energetically so that the rocks become yours.

The second step is either figuring out what the rocks can do for you and what they want to do, just like any other magical tool. It might take some meditation or just trial and error. If a rock doesn't work right for one purpose, try another one.

You should also remember that rocks are not Pokemon (although some Pokemon are rocks). Just because a list says a rock does a certain thing, doesn't mean that it'll work that way for you.  

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100

8Bit Jack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:33 pm
AniMajor
There are rock encyclopedias that you can use to find the properties of certain rocks, but their information isn't all that great. They don't quite take into account the person using the rocks, and they're filled with New Age buzzwords that don't make any sense. Sometimes they'll have really good pictures if you need help with identification, though.

If you're going to use rocks, they should have meaning to you and should be used according to what you want to do with them.

The first step is probably cleaning your rocks, both physically (when possible) and energetically so that the rocks become yours.

The second step is either figuring out what the rocks can do for you and what they want to do, just like any other magical tool. It might take some meditation or just trial and error. If a rock doesn't work right for one purpose, try another one.

You should also remember that rocks are not Pokemon (although some Pokemon are rocks). Just because a list says a rock does a certain thing, doesn't mean that it'll work that way for you.
That's just it. There's a general consensus on the properties of each stone, but I don't know how to use them for such purposes. As far as personal use, I suppose I should ask if Zodiac signs or whatnot have any bearing on the effectiveness or affinity for stones of any one person. Like Ishtar said, she felt more inclined to stones other than what I'd said I felt drawn to.

All the stones are more or less my own; each has been rinsed a few times, and I've done what I can to cleanse them spiritually (I still feel like I'm bumbling around when it comes to controlling energy). Unfortunately, the only way for my mind to be really open and able to feel the stones' energy is under the effects of a relatively common and arguably illegal herb.

I find it hilarious that you bring up the Pokémon simile, mostly because I test the games for a living and consider myself a decent Pokémaster. In that way, I will argue that stones are similar to Pokémon. Each has a basic idea; Pokémon have type, stats, moves, abilities. However, there are hidden specs unique to each. Natures, individual values, and effort points. There's a predefined modifier to their basic structure (Nature) that makes them a little off from the norm. Then, there's the further individuality (Individual values) of strength and weakness in overall ability. Then there's the time spent with the stone (Effort points), working with its energy, setting programming, charging it, etc.

On a side note, the Moon Stone's sprite in game looks like it was inspired by moldavite. razz  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:50 pm
The consensus on rocks doesn't make a lot of sense, as it really sounds like most properties of rocks are based on either random assignment or physical properties. Just because rose quartz is pink doesn't necessarily mean that it's the stone of love, and just because bloodstone is called bloodstone doesn't mean that it helps with blood disorders.

I used Pokemon as a metaphor because Pokemon are just a set of stats, regardless of how complex those stats are. You can encourage your Bulbasaur all you want, but it's abilities, personality, or drive isn't going to change. Rocks are not just a set of stats. You can work with them, talk to them, and get to know them.

The easiest way to feel a stone's energy and what you should do with it is just holding it and determining whether you like it or not. I'm not a big fan of iron, so I don't use it much. It doesn't always have to be an intense process. You just decide what you want to do, and go find a stone that you'd like to do it with.  

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100

8Bit Jack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:01 pm
AniMajor
The consensus on rocks doesn't make a lot of sense, as it really sounds like most properties of rocks are based on either random assignment or physical properties. Just because rose quartz is pink doesn't necessarily mean that it's the stone of love, and just because bloodstone is called bloodstone doesn't mean that it helps with blood disorders.

I used Pokemon as a metaphor because Pokemon are just a set of stats, regardless of how complex those stats are. You can encourage your Bulbasaur all you want, but it's abilities, personality, or drive isn't going to change. Rocks are not just a set of stats. You can work with them, talk to them, and get to know them.

The easiest way to feel a stone's energy and what you should do with it is just holding it and determining whether you like it or not. I'm not a big fan of iron, so I don't use it much. It doesn't always have to be an intense process. You just decide what you want to do, and go find a stone that you'd like to do it with.
Heh. Alright, I see what you're getting at. But still... What can you do with stones, is what I'm trying to find out. Obviously there's scrying, charging, AP/OBEing with stones as focal points, cleansing, healing, and the like, but... How? In all the books and articles I've been able to find, they're always so vague, especially when it comes to programming a stone. I'm also trying to go about this reasonably scientifically, and I'm not really taken in by spells and such. I guess the bottom line is that I don't know what it is that I need to know. This has been a running theme in this field for me.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:26 pm
You have to decide what the object is going to do, or figure out what it's good at and train it. The way I do that is by imprinting and object with instructions by pushing my own energy into the object with a specific intent.

It usually takes a little while to train it as a specific object (unless you're sufficiently tranced-out enough to imprint it with enough energy and focus the first time). The more you use it for a specific purpose, the more it'll imprint.  

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100

8Bit Jack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:29 pm
AniMajor
You have to decide what the object is going to do, or figure out what it's good at and train it. The way I do that is by imprinting and object with instructions by pushing my own energy into the object with a specific intent.

It usually takes a little while to train it as a specific object (unless you're sufficiently tranced-out enough to imprint it with enough energy and focus the first time). The more you use it for a specific purpose, the more it'll imprint.
A much more pressing question would be, how do you access a stone's programming once it's been given? The moldavite pendant in the upper right was given to me by a friend about a year ago, and he said he'd programmed it... Wouldn't tell me what it was, though. Nothing seems to have activated automatically.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:15 am
It's up to you what you use them for and how you use them. Every stone has some sort of use, no matter how small since it comes from the earth. I use stones for wands and I have a necklace that I cleanse and charge.  

Underworld Priestess

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:21 am
8Bit Jack
AniMajor

A much more pressing question would be, how do you access a stone's programming once it's been given? The moldavite pendant in the upper right was given to me by a friend about a year ago, and he said he'd programmed it... Wouldn't tell me what it was, though. Nothing seems to have activated automatically.

Well programming it is aligning its energy to do a certain action. Sometimes the activation can be a word or it can be the persons energy.
Simple enchantments work by only requiring a large enough Source of energy so if you channel energy through it it will automatically work.

If you want I can tamper with them to make them easier to use. Enchantments are pretty simple. It is just directing energy to do a certain task. Its like building a better mouse trap... the only time the trap will work is when you add the marble. You create all the mechanisms to be affected by the energy.

Lets say you were making a shield, you channel energy into the stone. The stone then changes the form of the energy into the shape of the shield that you programmed it to make. For this you need stones which are maleable meaning you can change what the stone wants to do to what you want the stone to do... or you have to find a stone that wants to be what you want it to be. This relies on the base pattern of the stones energy. The ones that I pointed out that would be good to work with are maleable.

Some stones are good for Storing energy, these stones have natural pockets in them which can hold lots of energy. Some stones already Have energy this means they would be good to tap to power another spell.

Some stones are good conduits meaning that energy can flow through them easily. This can help if you want to gather and direct personal energy

Each stone is different and stone classifications found in books usually suck. You mostly can find what stone you have by running your energy through it to see how it reacts. I can do this from a distance which is why tada... I can give you said information.

If someone else enchanted your stones then they might have to alter the stone for your use  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:29 am
Throw them at fundies!

xD kidding.

I am lurking this thread now. I need to learn more about stones.  

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

J. Dragonhater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:28 pm
I believe that the Fluorite, Ametrine and quartz can be used for scrying, dousing and to help with the tarot cards. When I have rocks/crystals I don't care what kind they are but the texture and color and I use color to tell me what they are used for (purple for physic/divination reasons, black for protection etc). I've also been experimenting with using quartz and other crystals to store impressions/images from meditations and so forth, so far with little success.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:40 pm
I used to have malachite, tiger's eye, and turquoise on a necklace (somehow they all managed to fall off), and always felt like the three of them together were protective. A book I had at the time mentioned that turquoise (besides being my December birthstone) was for protection and that tiger's eye was for clarity of mind, yet nothing on malachite. I still felt that malachite was the most special and it was protective.
I have gathered many other stones now, and use them occasionally. My "Crystal Bible" states that malachite can be used for protection and is also thought to have healing properties. That's about the extent of my mystical knowledge on those stones. I recognise various names from my geology class, but it was a while ago and I can't really remember anything. Sorry I'm not much help. I just know that, besides what the books say, turquoise and malachite felt very protective to me.

Mistreena

The Study (Research)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff