Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Got any input?
  Yes
  No
  I'm just here for the Hurdy-Gurdy
  You mean they'yre named after an instrument that as likely used in the soundtrack? YOU JUST BLEW MY MIND!
  You have too much time on your hands, TPIFOY.
View Results

ThePersonInFrontOfYou

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:38 pm
-gets out jumper cables and sticks them onto guild-

So, people. I can't be the only one who likes Tanioka's compositions. I'm probably not the only one here who hunted down the soundtrack long ago, either. But something that has always bothered me is that on the back of the soundtrack, some players were cited with the instruments. However, if I remember correctly, quite a few instruments were cited under the blanket title "medieval instruments."

My question to you is, What does that entail? Can you pick any of them out?

For instance, I've seen quite a few people praise Tanioka in saying "She uses a Kazoo." I've said it too, for lack of a better word. But living in a musical family, I was eventually corrected. I was told it was a Shawm, but it doesn't sound like a shawm to me. What is it?

Can you point to a song and say "That's a Dulcimer" or "That's a bladder pipe?" Or, have you ever wondered what makes a certain sound? Well, I wanna talk about 'em.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:46 pm
no, you're not the only one who likes Tanioka's compositions I too love them, probably even more than uematsu's compositions.

and sorry, since I'm not all that musical so i can't really pick out any of the "medieval instruments" that she uses in the soundtrack. At most i can be like all the kazoo people, just pointing out simple instruments like flute, piccolo, lute, etc.

though, yes i have always wonder for alot of music not only Tanioka's compositions what instruments they used to get that certain sound. And i also think that you're a great musician if you are able to make people raise questions like the ones you ask and make people broaden their musical lexicon to include non-standard instruments such as the shawm, the qeej, and others.  

Yoshikazu

Armed Battery

ThePersonInFrontOfYou

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:00 pm
Yoshikazu
no, you're not the only one who likes Tanioka's compositions I too love them, probably even more than uematsu's compositions.

and sorry, since I'm not all that musical so i can't really pick out any of the "medieval instruments" that she uses in the soundtrack. At most i can be like all the kazoo people, just pointing out simple instruments like flute, piccolo, lute, etc.

though, yes i have always wonder for alot of music not only Tanioka's compositions what instruments they used to get that certain sound. And i also think that you're a great musician if you are able to make people raise questions like the ones you ask and make people broaden their musical lexicon to include non-standard instruments such as the shawm, the qeej, and others.

Tanioka has a niche. Uematsu doesn't. I like Tanioka more too.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to misname instruments. I just wanted to know hat it was. Whatever it was, it sounded awesome in Daemon's Court.

Although you should be talking about how she used bagpipes in one of the final boss themes.

I like to think of myself as a musical gal in a musical family. I've only given thought to the other instruments in the soundtrack recently. I previously just focused on "HOLY CRAP PEOPLE WITH CHEST VOICES SINGING IN ENGLISH YOU'RE MY HERO TANIOKA!!!1!"  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:03 pm
Well i think they may of list all of the instruments that she used in the sountrack in the World Ultima Book, but can't read japanese so i can't tell

but the arrangement for the intro song and Starry moonlit night are in there  

Yoshikazu

Armed Battery

Help (Q+A, FAQs)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas