Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Writer's Club House

Back to Guilds

Love to write short stories? How about write poetry or even RP with a few people? This guild may be right for you! 

Tags: Writing, Literature, Roleplaying, Poetry, Short Stories 

Reply The Author's Room
Middle School Is Hell. (A work in progress.)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cassandrahaven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:37 pm
So, I posted an incredibly long poem that I was told to turn into a short story so I am. The poem was based on what is really happening to me right now. This isn't a joke so don't treat it like one. In this story I am changing the names and some of the events and adding a few things to make it more dramatic. I'm sure you'll figure out who my character is rather fast.

If you have any ideas for a better name please share. Or if you want to read the poem simply go to the poety room and then click on 'Writing Clue Pieces' or whatever I called it. So this is going to be where I post the story I am now writing for it. Hope you enjoy.(:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:39 am
Sandra layed in bed staring at the ceiling. She hated being sick. It meant she couldn't sit and talk through class with her boyfriend, Alexander. Or do the same with her best friend, Nichole. The idea killed her but she could barely sit up. Finally she got out of bed and went to her mother. The woman was still in the t-shirt she had worn to bed. Her hair was a mess and looked terrible. Seeing her Sandra wondered what she must have looked like at that moment. Her hair had been pulled into a loose pony tail around two that morning. There were bobby pins trying to keep her bangs to the side so they didn't look terrible. She had on purple pj pants with pink poka spots on them. Her shirt was one from a summer camp she had gone to nearly a year before and it was a hideous shade of beige.

"Sandy, get ready. You're going to be late for school."

"Mom I feel like crap. I can barely breathe and my throat and ears hurt and I keep coughing and sneezing. The allergy meds aren't working. I told you I don't have allergies. When I took Nightquil last night it helped some but it's worn off now."

"Get ready. I'll take you to the clinic and then you can come home and sleep. Ally should be there. I haven't seen her in a while and it will be nice. Now come on. I still have to take your sisters to school."

The girl just walked to her bedroom. Slowly she got dressed and brushed through her hair and teeth. Sighing she stared at the contacts wanting to be worn. If she was planning on going to school after the clinic she would put them in but she knew she was in no shape to do so. Looking around for her shoes she slid into some converse and stretched out on the couch.

Her two younger sisters ignored her thinking she was just ready. The four piled into the car about twenty minutes later for the drive across town. Their mother worked at the college across the street from the middle school and five minutes from the elementary school her youngest daughter attended. It was quite a drive but it was such a better school compared to the one five minutes from their house. Since the two eldest wanted driven to school it was no problem going that extra five minutes for the other girl.

Sandra stared longingly at the building as they pulled up. Her sister got out and started yelling to her seventh grade friends. The sixteen month age difference was almost not there sometimes. They weren't incredibly close and had contrasting personalities but they looked so much alike. Sometimes people asked if they were twins. Obviously with such a small age difference that put her only a grade ahead of her sister. She was supposed to be two grades ahead but the school had an odd policy inforced the year she enrolled stating that you had to be born before a certain date. Of course that policy was always there but normally they were rather leinient on it. For once they were not. Sandra missed the cut off by six days and attended a second year of preschool.

"Is Sandy not coming to school?" Macey, the seventh grade sister, asked after turning back from yelling at her friends. She obviously was oblivious to everything that had gone on that morning. No surprise though. The girl hardly ever paid attention to what went on around her.

"I'm sick, smart one. I'm going to the clinic and then bed."

After looking at her elder sister with a sad, pity filled face she shut the door and walked into the building. The car pulled back onto the road and drove to the elementary. They three sat in silence for a few minutes waiting for eight o'clock to come so that the second sister could go into the building without getting in trouble for being too early. As soon as it came she climbed out of the car and walked inside.

The sun was slowly rising. Obviously it didn't want to be up more then Sandra did. Perfectly understandable considering it was a chilly day. She had her warm black jacket on. It wasn't a coat so she could wear it to school. During the winter she always had it on but this wasn't winter. This was a Tuesday. The first Tuesday after Easter. Easter had been her and Alex's one month. This was the second time they had dated but she had had strong feelings for him nearly all school year. It just took her dating a total player for him to notice. After dating him the first time she felt like he didn't care and broke it off. Also, the player who she knew did care wanted her back. A few days later she hooked back up with him. He truely made her happy.

Alex was crushed. He claimed to love her and felt like he had been used. She explained that she simply still thought of him as a best friend. That was the way he acted and she understood that they had been best friends for a long time but she just couldn't date her best friend. It was took awkward. He was angry for a while but got over it. As soon as they made up he made it clear that he wanted her back and would do anything to do so. The thought filled her with happiness because it meant that he truely did care. She had no intentions with breaking it off with her current boyfriend though. That just wan't going to happen.

Turns out she didn't have to. Not too long later he dumped her for some ugly slut. Alex started asking her back out constantly but she kept saying no. She still wasn't over the other guy and wasn't going to make the mistake of dating him while having feelings for another boy. Once she felt she could be completely faithful she said yes. The relationship was slightly rocky at times but other times it was perfect. They had been in the same circle of friends since sixth grade. He had become her best friend in October. Best guy friend at least. Her best girlfriend was expelled for the semester so they didn't see each other. By the time Alex and Sandy were together Nichole was back though. It was a perfect group of best friends.

Sadly Nichole and her on and off boyfriend for three years ended it. She was crushed because he immediately dated someone else. As in the day she got dumped. Quickly Nichole started her own lunch table and Alex and Sandy joined her. Two others who Sandy really did not care for joined them as well but basically she ignored them. Throughout lunch she worked on cheering up her bestie and flirting with her boyfriend. It went well for a while.

Just before the one month mark Nichole decided she liked Alex. Sandy understood and didn't hate her for it. She was as understanding as possible. Alex thought it was awkward but didn't care. He still said he loved Sandra with all of his heart. Now you're all caught up and we're back to the day she stays home sick. Let us find her and her mother again.

Okay, so this totally isn't even half of it. It's a background story. I want opinions before I go on though. And it feels great to write this. Thanks for the idea, Lenni. It's like a weight is lifted off of me by being able to put this into a story. So, anyway, opinions? Critizism is loved. Be as harsh as you can. The worse that will happe is I'll get mad at you but that's no biggie. I'll get over it soon enough.

Cassandrahaven

Cognitive Atrophy

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:52 pm
It was well constructed, but there were a couple of missplaced words. "They" instead of "the" for example. Just a couple typos. Enforced was spelled wrong. Errr... See the spelling I just used. Hahaha!

I liked the opening about her being sick. I liked 'it's not allergies' because my mom always says it is and I'm like, "NO I'M SICK!" crying I just thought that was funny. xP I also thought of myself in the way she was described as being dressed in the morning. I always look like a missmatched bum.

As far as something I would be interested in... hmmmm... it seems a bit uninteresting. But, that's only the opening. I'm sure there could be some awesome twist.

You could go alot of different ways with this. Definitely keep working on it.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:54 pm
midband
It was well constructed, but there were a couple of missplaced words. "They" instead of "the" for example. Just a couple typos. Enforced was spelled wrong. Errr... See the spelling I just used. Hahaha!

I liked the opening about her being sick. I liked 'it's not allergies' because my mom always says it is and I'm like, "NO I'M SICK!" crying I just thought that was funny. xP I also thought of myself in the way she was described as being dressed in the morning. I always look like a missmatched bum.

As far as something I would be interested in... hmmmm... it seems a bit uninteresting. But, that's only the opening. I'm sure there could be some awesome twist.

You could go alot of different ways with this. Definitely keep working on it.

Thanks.! And I have terrible memory so, um, Miranda? Have you read my poems? And mine and Lenni's convversations about my poems? If not then go read them cause I believe they will give you the twist you obviously desire.../:  

Cassandrahaven

Miss_Comet

1,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:06 pm
Goodness I feel like I'm looking back through the pages of my journal! This was really good and since it's based on your life it's easy to relate with it. It was a quick and easy read and in this case that's a good thing.

For being in middle school (you are right?) you have a pretty large vocabulary and you're very well in control of the tone which is surprising for someone so young (even though you aren't much younger than me).

It's not something that really hooks the reader right off, but I wouldn't exactly put it down at this point either. I'm sure it will get exciting and I'll stay tuned =]

Otherwise it's great!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:27 pm
Miss_Comet
Goodness I feel like I'm looking back through the pages of my journal! This was really good and since it's based on your life it's easy to relate with it. It was a quick and easy read and in this case that's a good thing.

For being in middle school (you are right?) you have a pretty large vocabulary and you're very well in control of the tone which is surprising for someone so young (even though you aren't much younger than me).

It's not something that really hooks the reader right off, but I wouldn't exactly put it down at this point either. I'm sure it will get exciting and I'll stay tuned =]

Otherwise it's great!

Thank you very much.!(: But I am in middle school. Grade eight, age fourteen. As for the vocabulary I have the reading level of either a senior in high school or someone in college. I'm an avid reader :3 But thank you for the thing about the tone. Rereading it a few minutes ago I feel like I failed slightly at it. But my mother was a reporter for the first 6/7 of my life and she's gotten a book published (envious) so I've sort of been around writing my whole life. I've been experimenting with it for the past few years and getting input from others and such. I do believe that's a big help. Oh, and another thing for the vocabulary, I'm supposedly very mature.(x That appearently helps because I can have an intuclectual conversation with someone.  

Cassandrahaven

Cognitive Atrophy

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:58 pm
Cassandrahaven
Miss_Comet

Otherwise it's great!

Thank you very much.!(: But I am in middle school. Grade eight, age fourteen. As for the vocabulary I have the reading level of either a senior in high school or someone in college. I'm an avid reader :3 But thank you for the thing about the tone. Rereading it a few minutes ago I feel like I failed slightly at it. But my mother was a reporter for the first 6/7 of my life and she's gotten a book published (envious) so I've sort of been around writing my whole life. I've been experimenting with it for the past few years and getting input from others and such. I do believe that's a big help. Oh, and another thing for the vocabulary, I'm supposedly very mature.(x That appearently helps because I can have an intuclectual conversation with someone.

Well, you will get to learn some fancy words from my vocabulary class when the school opens. I don't think they are going to open it until they have all the teacher spots filled, though. sad

Also... (spelling nazi) "Apparantly" and "Intellectual". Heehee. Just trying to help. xD  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:07 pm
Well, thanks for the help but I'm a lost cause. Two years ago I asked how to spell the word 'fall.' xD Anyways, you think I should post the next part now or wait for more input?  

Cassandrahaven

Cognitive Atrophy

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:15 pm
Cassandrahaven
Well, thanks for the help but I'm a lost cause. Two years ago I asked how to spell the word 'fall.' xD Anyways, you think I should post the next part now or wait for more input?

LOL

My friend once stopped a flight attendant and asked them how to spell 'tongue'. lol I wish I could have been there to see the look on that person's face.

Anyway, posting more or not is up to you. smile By the way, did you get to read any of my writing?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:37 pm
Yes I did! : D (Just now....) Anyways, I think I'll post tomorrow either at the library or when I get home. And when I get home tomorrow I'll add more to my other story because I think I figured out a way to do it that might make sense.  

Cassandrahaven

Cassandrahaven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:57 pm
Sandra sat in the backseat staring out the window at the passing cars. Something about the day just didn't seem right but her head was too clogged up for her to think straight. Everything just seemed to blur together. That wasn't anything strange considering her rather unhealthy state. Looking at her cell phone she realized that it was almost 8:05. Middle school would start any moment and Alexander hadn't texted her. Normally he did the second he got on the bus. Or even before she was awake. The texts always smiled. It was nice first thing every morning to know that someone cared. Not having a text worried her. Is he mad at me? Every time her mind cleared even slightly that ran through her head. She desperately hoped for it not to be true.

The silver SUV pulled into a small parking lot. Seeing the sign in front of the car she rolled her eyes. No on paid attention to thirty minute parking signs. Probably because they knew it was impossible to be in and out of places in thirty minutes. Her and her mother walked into the building, down a flight of stairs, into a hallway, and then into the clinic office. While signing in her daughter the lady behind the desk smiled at the girl. It was obvious that she planned on saying something to her like she was a young child but the look in Sandy's eyes warned her not to. Doing so would only anger the young one. She knew that at times she acted childish but she wasn't a child. You couldn't go and lay on her the responsibilities of an adult and the punishments and all the information that came with being one but still speak to her and treat her like a child. There was absolutely no logic in that. Obviously once you hit a certain age you forgot all of your thoughts and opinions from the past and went on what everyone else did. Such a mistake.

The woman looked away from Sandra and handed her mother a neon green slip of paper with a smile. "Go hang this in your car please. It's a parking pass so that your car doesn't get towed." Her mother nodded and walked out. Wisely the woman chose not to try and start a conversation with the girl. She wasn't in the mood to attempt being polite and she knew anything other than that would deeply upset her mother. The girl wasn't heartless. Honestly she did care what some people thought. Those some were just few in number. And the number dimished daily. It was pity but she tried hard not to dwell. It only made the hurt more evident. Since it was already there there was no reason to point it out. She didn't need to read a sign every morning saying 'Remember, you're hurt. Just keep hurting and you'll be fine.' Some people seemed to act like that needed said often though. It was stupid and silly but that was middle school. Needless to say she didn't plan on becoming a Facebook fan of it.

After a minute or so her mother walked back in and sat down into a plastic chair next to her. It didn't take long for the doctor to walk out to help them. The woman, Ally, smiled as soon as she saw the two. A mother-daughter resemblence was strong between the two women. Smiling, Ally spoke to Sandra's mother. "Oh she looks so much like you! Now which one is this?" Vague recongition crossed the girl's mind. She knew that she probably should know who this woman was but had no idea. It didn't bother her though. Surely she would introduce how they knew each other. Seeing the look on the young girl's face she did just that. "Oh, I'm a friend of your grandmother's. We've worked together since before your mom was born."

"Ally, this is Sandy," her mother answer. Looking at her daughter a smile lit up her tired face. "Her daughter was my best friend growing up. We did dance together. And her son was only a year or two older than me. All of us hung out a lot when we were younger." The answer shocked her. Her mother was from a city half the size of the one they currently lived in. The fact that more then one person would leave for this not so amazing city shocked her. Where they were from was small and had a terrible education system but it seemed oh so much safer. The change seemed silly. Later on though she learned that Ally had yet to leave the city. She simply drove an hour each day to get to work. Such a thing shocked her. The drive was long and boring and certainly didn't seem worth it. Appearently the woman felt he same because as she preformed an exam on Sandra she spoke about getting a job closer to her home. Slight humor filled the girl. As it turned out the job the woman might be taking was the one her grandmother was currently leaving. Guess it was a small world after all.

Deciding there was no point in trying to take place in the conversation she stayed silent. Ally asked her to take a deep breath every few seconds so that she could see if her heart beat was regular. After doing so Sandy watched the room blur and spin. The words "I'm dizzy" somehow left her mouth. She had no clue how considering she couldn't even see straight yet. Thinking it might be best to look down as to not fall down side ways she did so. Slowly her brain cleared and she could think once again. The two older woman stopped talking waiting for her to look back up. Doing so she gave a sheepish smile. "I'm really tired of getting dizzy all of the time." Ally smiled and sat down at the desk facing the wall. She started to type in medical mumbo-jumbo. It all had something to do with how sick the girl was but she knew nothing of it so she didn't ask.

"You're dizzy because those deep breathes," Ally quietly said. Her mind was obviously on what the screen said. "It's probably from all of the sinus back up you have. With some medicine you should be fine in about a week in a half." With a click of the mouse the printer was heard. A prescription was printed and handed to the mother. The doctor smiled and led them from the exam room and to the door of the clinic. "It was nice to see you two. Tell your mother I said hi." Sandy and her mother headed back out to their car. Once in they drove to the pharmacy a few minutes away. They placed an order for the medicine and went wondering the store looking for an easy, healthy lunch the girl could make. Recently the family had decided they would eat healthier and work out more. It was good for them and they felt better doing it. Sadly it was hard to cook something when you got dizzy after standing or sitting up. The girl grabbed a thing of low sodium chicken noddle soup with veggies. Sure it wasn't eh healthiest choice but it sounded good and at least wasn't full of fat. Her mother decided that she should get a small tub of ice cream for later since her throat hurt a little. The idea was splendid to the sugar-crazed fourteen year old. Walking to the back wall she grabbed a Twix candy bar ice cream. It would be nice to have in a few hours.

At that point they went back and grabbed the medicine. After paying they walked out and back to the car. The fifteen minute drive home was in basic silence. A few words were uttered simply because they were the lyrics to the songs on the radio at that moment. Once such song was by OneRepublic. Hearing this song always made Sandra smile so it was perfect timing. When they got home sure tore open the baggie holding her meds and went in search of her water bottle. Finding it she took two and then kicked her shoes off. Heading back to the living room she put the ice cream in the freezer and then went to her room once again. "Bye, Mom. I love you." Her mother replied the same. Within five minutes she was in a deep sleep that would consume her for hours.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:15 pm
Slow moving, but the characters of the girl and her mother are starting to show through a little bit more. It seemed to drabble on a bit, but again, it was well constructed. I can relate to Sandra though because I have had countless sinus infections. I'll keep reading. smile Just waiting for plot developments. I like crazy sci fi stuff mostly. lol

Oh, and I must reprimand myself for correcting a word with an incorrect word. It is 'Apparently'. Hahaha! I never noticed because when I type it in word it automatically corrects it.  

Cognitive Atrophy

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
The Author's Room

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items