Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
is this guild worth joining

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A B Up Start

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:11 pm
cuz im interested...
but it seems like a bunch of faux wiccans/pagans aka mall goths.

are there ppl from the logical side here as well?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:25 pm
Well, This seems to be the least fluffy occult guild I have joined on Gaia. Most of the people here aren't even Wiccan or Pagan, honestly. There's a few Chaos Magicians, a Ceremonial Magician or two.

I'd say do it. There's no harm in joining.

This guild isn't some kind of "Pagan chat" guild. It's a research guild. We do Research here, and read other peoples' research. So it seems like it would be the most Logical guild you could join on the subject. (Which is a longshot anyway, as most "Logical" people choose to only to believe in things that Carl Sagan believed in...)

ANY occult guild will have it's share of fluffy wiccans, and "Neopagans". It's unavoidable.  

Necromandy

Satrevi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:52 pm
Hahahahaha... You know...Every guild has it's idiots. Why let the worries of running into a few stupid people ruin your experience with a guild? The captain of the guild is pretty reasonable.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:55 pm
Yes there are people with common sense. Take me and the person above me for instance.  

x-G r e e k n e s s-x

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:04 am
If you like a guild where ppl just chat this is good. If its information and logical point of views, then this is a good place as well.

People here have there quarks, but that's always expected of a highly trafficked online site.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:56 am
Maybe, maybe not.
Iv been on here 15 minutes and I don't see much.

An old friend recommended this site to me a while back. I wanted to contact him as a surprise but he's not even on the roster anymore.  

Draven2385

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:50 pm
Draven2385
Maybe, maybe not.

An old friend recommended this site to me a while back. I wanted to contact him as a surprise but he's not even on the roster anymore.

Oborosen, get the ******** out of our guild. Circumventing your ban does not make you look any more innocent, especially when you're trying to pass yourself off as someone else.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:18 am
Mitsh
Draven2385
Maybe, maybe not.

Oborosen, get the ******** out of our guild. Circumventing your ban does not make you look any more innocent, especially when you're trying to pass yourself off as someone else.

Lay down the law!  

Mandalore of the West

4,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

Naynram Ukir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:29 pm
At least the vibe of elitism isn't as bad as it is in PFRG, not to mention I prefer occult talk over pagan talk. Haha. I've also seen some pretty good conversations go down here. It's better than the Supernatural/Paranormal guild as far as topics go. Probably the best you're going to get here on a site like Gaia.

I dunno what Oborosen did wrong though. Doesn't seem like he's acting rude or anything. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:20 pm
Naynram Ukir
At least the vibe of elitism isn't as bad as it is in PFRG, not to mention I prefer occult talk over pagan talk. Haha. I've also seen some pretty good conversations go down here. It's better than the Supernatural/Paranormal guild as far as topics go. Probably the best you're going to get here on a site like Gaia.

I dunno what Oborosen did wrong though. Doesn't seem like he's acting rude or anything. *shrugs*

Oborosen's been misleading people in order to make himself look like a "learned occultist" since the day he joined - he presents a grand splattering of "facts" when he's commenting on particular issues (always making a point of dropping a line that hints at having been on the occult circuit for a while), but whenever he's challenged on any of them, fails to bring up any of his sources. Rudeness doesn't even come into it - when he got called out, his activity suddenly dropped, and then this new account suddenly appeared that acted in a manner distressingly similar to Oborosen, which smarts of him trying to save face by adopting a new guise. He's never been one to be forthcoming with factually accurate answers, so I don't know what the right ruddy ******** he thinks he's playing at, but he won't be doing it in the ORS.

I'm completely fine with people not providing evidence for their supernatural experiences - it's understandable, since by and large most of the stuff here can't or hasn't been proven, and you don't require evidence to discuss something as though it were true. Likewise, I'm fine with people's experiences being very different to mine and taking their own path with regards to ethics, morality and so on. I most certainly don't want the ORS to turn into anything like the PFRC: I only make calls for sources or backup when an issue is getting out-of-hand, facts are being heavily distorted, or people are attempted to pass themselves off as experts - I'm not going to be laying the smackdown on folk for opting to call themselves Neo-Wiccan, or people using the word Gypsy, unless it's in dire straits. I do take issue where people actively falsify information to come across like an expert, especially in cases where their claims actually could be backed up.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Naynram Ukir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:24 pm
Mitsh
Naynram Ukir

Oborosen's been misleading people in order to make himself look like a "learned occultist" since the day he joined - he presents a grand splattering of "facts" when he's commenting on particular issues (always making a point of dropping a line that hints at having been on the occult circuit for a while), but whenever he's challenged on any of them, fails to bring up any of his sources. Rudeness doesn't even come into it - when he got called out, his activity suddenly dropped, and then this new account suddenly appeared that acted in a manner distressingly similar to Oborosen, which smarts of him trying to save face by adopting a new guise. He's never been one to be forthcoming with factually accurate answers, so I don't know what the right ruddy ******** he thinks he's playing at, but he won't be doing it in the ORS.

I'm completely fine with people not providing evidence for their supernatural experiences - it's understandable, since by and large most of the stuff here can't or hasn't been proven, and you don't require evidence to discuss something as though it were true. Likewise, I'm fine with people's experiences being very different to mine and taking their own path with regards to ethics, morality and so on. I most certainly don't want the ORS to turn into anything like the PFRC: I only make calls for sources or backup when an issue is getting out-of-hand, facts are being heavily distorted, or people are attempted to pass themselves off as experts - I'm not going to be laying the smackdown on folk for opting to call themselves Neo-Wiccan, or people using the word Gypsy, unless it's in dire straits. I do take issue where people actively falsify information to come across like an expert, especially in cases where their claims actually could be backed up.

Oh, k. I understand that then.
I've just recently started posting/hanging out here ever since Gaia implemented that new "Active guilds thread updates" thing on the main page, so I didn't know. I'm glad you have that outlook on the guild, though. cool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:30 pm
heh... as for the OP, there are folks of surprisingly "all stripes" as long as it somehow pertains to the Occult, or leastways pretends to. so yeh, plenty of worthy folks here too, if you know how to sift.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

A1Saucy

Devoted Codger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:26 am
Naynram Ukir

I wish I could tip your post. I won't go into my views any further on it since I don't want to completely derail this thread.

As for the OP, "value" is what you make of it. Sometimes it means it works of you work it, sometimes it means defining what you're looking for in the first place, and sometimes it means how it pertains to your path.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:42 pm
Well, if you're not satisfied with what this guild brings, you have a few options:

1 - simply walk away.

2 - just deal with it, since this is as good a source as any, and the mood is relaxed enough here.

3 - Do your homework, and bring what you feel this group is missing.  

PrometheanSet

Arcane_Ninja24

Fashionable Codger

4,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:09 pm
Chieftain Twilight
heh... as for the OP, there are folks of surprisingly "all stripes" as long as it somehow pertains to the Occult, or leastways pretends to. so yeh, plenty of worthy folks here too, if you know how to sift.

and now im going to put on Seven Nation Army, by white stripes.  
The Occult Research Society

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games