Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Should magic be simplified? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Satrevi

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:55 am
Oborosen
Simim
The whole point of ritual and ceremony, complex incantations and sigils, is:

-To gather the attention of whatever you wanted to get the attention of
-To induce an atmosphere that will help you direct your intent more efficiently.

That being said, if it takes you an hour long ritual, luxurious incenses, taper candles, and complex invocations to get the attention of a deity, and to get you in that right mindset, awesome.

However, if you stumble upon a being and it takes you two seconds to get into that mindset, that is also just as appropriate.

Magic isn't about procedure, it's about results. If you get the same results off burning a green candle and visualizing prosperity as someone else did from summoning various spirits of fortune into a complex circle, more power to you.

Yes, I understand where your coming from when you say magic is about the results.
But within the last few years I have seen what cutting corners with spell casting can do. Two of my beast friends have paid much for it and I myself almost lost the use of my hands.

What I speak of is following the original rules set for our protection. Not trying to undermine them.
How did you almost lose use of your hands? (And now something interesting comes along xD)  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:19 pm
Ghisteslwchlohm
Magic is as simple as it's going to get.

Though some rites can be simplified, ultimately: This.

Jokoria17

5,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:11 pm
Simplify it for only the trusted but not for the everyday person.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:09 pm
Forgive me for not getting in touch with my topics lately, Russia was a blast and I'm still unpacking.

The aspect of almost loosing my hands is not a good memory.
The even was almost five years ago say March 12th 05. We had a bonding ceremony to finish and for those that don't know. One type of bonding is a blood ritual in the art of Sangumancy. This was for two friends of mine who had been dating for a year now. After wishing to tie the knot, they wanted to be bonded the closest they knew how.
A ritual that would ensure the happiness for the rest of there days. I was already experienced in such practices and I thought we could do with a condensed version since we where short on the time window.
After the point of falter, my hands began to produce cuts for unknown reasons and they could not speak. Much less breath for some time.
Needless to say it was a learning experience.

Actually I do know what caused it to happen.
I left out the names of the patron gods during the ritual.
Bad move on my part.  

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:34 pm
Oborosen

I left out the names of the patron gods during the ritual.
Bad move on my part.

Pardon me for rubbing salt on the wound, but dear gods.

I struggle to grasp how one could forget such a thing. By oak and thorn... I'm at somewhat a loss for words.

An impressive oversight indeed.

That being said, I'm not exactly sure how you could compress or simplify magic. Every bit that's in there is in there for a reason, depending on the type of magic you're working.

If you're asking some sort of higher-up (or father-down, perhaps, depending on your inclination?) for a favor or some help, you want to be as polite as possible. There isn't much cutting-out you can do without being rude.

I suppose that if you aren't bothering with anyone else and are just doing stuff powered by yourself and what have you, you can write and accomplish it however suits your fancy, as, in a sense, it's a ritual for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:33 pm
Satrevi

Besides, if you do it right. All you really need sometimes is meditation and intent.

I completely agree. Everything but the intent is a crutch. Of course, crutches are used for a reason so just because you need a bunch of candels doesn't mean you're doing it wrong or cheating as long as you know that you don't actually need those things to make the magic work. (Though I agree it often makes it a hell of a lot easer than doing everything in your head).  

J. Dragonhater

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:26 am
I'm really starting to like this Guild, almost all the replies I get a logical and well informed.

Thanks for the post I know some have misunderstood my question. But it all came out alright.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:33 pm
J. Dragonhater
Satrevi

Besides, if you do it right. All you really need sometimes is meditation and intent.

I completely agree. Everything but the intent is a crutch. Of course, crutches are used for a reason so just because you need a bunch of candels doesn't mean you're doing it wrong or cheating as long as you know that you don't actually need those things to make the magic work. (Though I agree it often makes it a hell of a lot easer than doing everything in your head).
xd Yeah, it's not so much relying on the tool that's the problem, it's when you rely on it to the point that it becomes a crutch.  

Satrevi

Pae Maia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:53 pm
Psionics (see psipog.net) uses a much less ritualistic method of directing energy. They simply require that if you want better results or are doing more complicated work you go into a light trance. I personally go into a trance as a conditioned result of doing energy work.

Sometimes the rituals are nice though. It's fun to set the mood with a bath by the light of burning incense or whatever, and for more in-depth or draining work can really increase results. I just don't see it as strictly necessary. That is why I consider myself a psion and not a Wiccan.  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff