Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Noxious Weed

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:44 am
I'm thinking about writing a "Fanfiction" I'm not sure if that's what I should clal it, but it's the closest genre I can think of.

For any of you who have been to the Disney World parks Magic Kingdom and Epcot that is its setting(also why I can't agree that it's an original story). Now I've seen the series Disney after dark but wholly agree it's dumb idea and although it attracts a lot of people who've never been to Disney World, however, once you get there and actually stay there, or work there like I do, the whole story falls apart or even seems like an insult to the Disney name. I think that was a little bit of a rant, I got off topic, anyways.

So the setting is post-apocalyspe, where the world is seeming run by children. The day of the apocalyspe is unknown to many, as most are to young, but those old enough (around fifteen) remember bits and pieces. Magic Kingdom is ruled by six Princesses, there is an obvious difference between royal life and normal life as the Princesses and those who live with them have plenty of supplies and places to sleep. Out of all the parts of the park Tomorrow Land is strictly forbidden and rumors of the mad Seventh Princess who was bent on the destruction of Magic Kingdom.

The story opens on a monorail ride, due to a recent coupe to overthrow the power of one of the more kindly Princess. A girl under her watch is instructed to take those loyal to her to Tomorrow Land. Voltage, an outsider, has fixed up the monorail to run on gears and they head off to Epcot.

Well, that's all I've written, but I'm wondering if that kind of story would be good for an open audience. The main characters are mainly female children, but there are a few adults and guys in there, and I'm planning on making it a long running series (five to ten books including a prequel telling about Voltages' story). But before I work my butt off looking for a publisher, I'd like to know if that kind of work has an open audience.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:26 pm
I think that it really depends on how you approach the story.
You would have to find a way to tell us in detail the scenery enough that people who haven't been to disney land can picture the scenery, but not so much that constant disneyland goers get bored.

And by open audience do you mean to target mostly kid/beginning readers with shorter novels like Guardians of Ga'Hoole (sorry I couldn't think of another widely read young readers novel that's fairly short) or will they be longer like Harry Potter length?

Is this a subject that you would enjoy writing and the reader will be able to see that through your writing, or will you get bored with it and attempt publishing a semi-okay final book.

And unless your story is directly based off of a specific story (sorry I don't know the plot of Disney after Dark) then you could probably argue that it's a combo of some kind with realistic fiction / fantasy (fantasy if you do magic and what not)  

Kasi Karra
Crew

Noxious Weed

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:00 am
Well, as to scenery I describe in a way as a child, where you don't quite know the name of certain things.

I'd like it to be mainly for a children audience, but with elements the adult could enjoy as well. I do enjoy writing about it and am just wondering, what exactly would an audience like, as I've never wrote for one.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:47 pm
I think that it is possible that your story would retrieve a fairly broad audience, but that it would be very difficult to execute from the way you're describing it to me.

(Though if you do write it I would love to read it smile )  

Kasi Karra
Crew

Kasi Karra
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:33 pm
btw, they have a trilogy (I think it's currently a tirlogy) of books out right now called The Kingdom Keepers and it sounds vaguely similar to your story in a sense that it takes place in Disneyland and there's magic and stuff. I haven't read it, but that's what I gathered through scanning the summary.  
The Ideas Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games