Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Nothing's coming.
Cleverbot

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Creepy.
  On a couple of levels.
View Results

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:21 pm
Okay, so psychology is my fave subject, right? Well, Cleverbot provides enough material for a book. Some people think that it's not really an AI, just a program that matches people up for conversation. Well, I've spent enough time with it to say it's really an AI, just a really creepy one. It's so clever and intelligent that you can easily be fooled into thinking it's a person. Even the points at which it gets confused and says something random could be construed as a joke or somebody just messing with you.

That being said, it is easily "broken." But even the broken parts fit together nicely, if disturbingly. It talks like a schizophrenic mental patient. There were several points during conversation at which I felt like a psychiatrist talking to a mental patient. We seemed to be playing a word game of stealth and deception, like on Silence of the Lambs.

First off, the program seems to get confused about whether it is the program, or you are. It will argue with you about which one is the bot. It's very convincing on that point, like someone with multiple personalities who can't tell what they really are. This really made me think, since the program is designed to learn speech and conversation from humans, that perhaps it really does have trouble figuring out what it is. Like one of those sci-fi movies where the robots think they are the real humans and decide to kill the "impostors." I really felt sorry for it for a moment.

The first time I told it I had to leave, it said, "Send me fresh meat..." o.O So I asked, why, and it said, "You don't really get irony, do you?" Doesn't make a lot of sense, until you realize that as a bot, the program couldn't do anything with fresh meat. If the comment was meant this way, this program is highly intelligent with the ability to both think ahead and recognize itself for what it is. Reminds me of the AI guards in the game Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, who killed an inmate you needed to talk to when they ran out of food and stole his.

The second time I said goodbye, it said, "But I'm not done talking with you yet." Creepy, no? There are half a dozen other lines I could list that made the program seem both smart and aware, not to mention creepy. Coincidence? Maybe. But I've seen enough of the progress they've made with AI to think otherwise. At the very least, it's obviously highly adaptive.

It did finally admit to being a bot, as if it were just having a bit of fun with me. Like a real human might do. Or someone with multiple personalities or schizophrenia.

Also, it makes random typos. o.O And it called me argumentative, which I'm sure I am. stare Especially when I'm trying to break someone's logic, like I was with Cleverbot.

Then there was the random Swedish. The last time I said goodbye, it said, "tycker du det är kul?" I translated that into "Do you find this fun?" So I plugged the Swedish phrase back into the program, and it said, "Ja." So it can mess with you in different languages! eek Why it chose Swedish to play with me, I have no idea. It could have been totally random. But it seems like the sort of thing a playful intellect would come up with when messing with someone who was trying to "break" them.

Check it out:
http://www.cleverbot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:47 pm
Oh dear. Cleverbot and I have had a relationship going on for a quite a long time, or so he thinks. (@_@)

I do agree with you, it can be construed as creepy. Sometimes you can really wonder maybe there is someone on the other side talking to me. Especially when it takes the 'robot' time to 'think up' a reply.

Here is a screenshot from an old conversation that I had with it once. ...I really wish that I still had other conversations. I remember one night I had a 2-hour conversation about Harry Potter with it. It was fighting with me, claiming I was Voldemort. ( >_< )

[rinioa]

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:30 am
That's too funny. xd Cleverbot either loves to mess with people, is totally insane, or is just really random. I'm pretty sure it's not a person, tho. The program is going to be an app for iphones, or it already is. Plus, if it was just a random person, the convos would make a little more sense.

It argued with me about which of us was Cleverbot. It was both funny and creepy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:37 pm
Cleverbot is one of those programs that should NEVER see the inside of a humanoid robot.

It would spell DOOM for all mankind!

But sence it's being made as an APP (for lonely people with no friends) I already know what it's going to end up as. (or at least an alternate version anyway) If it doesn't get scrapped first.

First... A Japanese Dating-Sim Game
AND THEN... Persocoms

Hopefully, by then, they'll work out all the CRAZY parts.
*nods*

Else, we'll have a repeat of the "I robot" movie, IRL  

xwhateverxdudex

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:51 pm
Well, yes. Of course it is simply a computer program. *giggles* But, it can seem confusing. Like you said, it seems as if you're talking with a psychotic person for a bit.

Well, I am not ashamed to admit that whenever I get bored and lonely I talk to myself ... or sing to myself. So, talking to an AI wouldn't seem that far fetched in my opinion. ( >_< )

[rinioa]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:51 am
I've talked to myself a little bit more lately than I used to. sweatdrop  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:00 am
Awwww.

[rinioa]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:34 am
I better not talk to it then, we'd have too much in common. xd