Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Celtic Folklore

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Helsa

5,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Informer 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:25 pm
I've got a problem finding information on celtic folklore more specifically on Fair folk and any information linking the two.
If anyone can provide me some help it would be greatly appreciated.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:58 pm
Have you tried looking for books online or in your local bookstore? I was able to order a few books used online, and you can usually find a little bit of info in a general mythology book. I have a bunch of books like "Encyclopaedia of Fantasy" or "Dictionary of Mythology" etc. General mythology books like that can be easily found or ordered in from local bookstores.

I'll see if I can find that website I had before. A friend of mine is Irish Pagan as well, so I'll ask her if she knows any good websites to look at.

I myself have a huge interest in the Wee Folk as well. I don't know much, but just a little about the Leannan si, bean si, and fairy raths.

Leannan si take on the appearance of women and seduce men. They give their man artistic gifts, which will usually give them fame, before sucking the life force out of them.

Bean Si, or banshee as we now know them by, are the women of the hills. They can be heard on stormy nights by those who are about to die or those close to one soon to die. It is said that before a great Irish king's death, his family heard the bean si's screams.

As for Fairy Raths, if I remember correctly, fairies were once seen as gods (or they are the old gods, oar the people of the Goddess Danu. Something like that). They live in the mounds of earth known as raths, and like fairy rings, if a human steps into one, they may never return. (again, if I remember correctly on this one. I may have gotten a fact or two mixed up haha sweatdrop )

I hope that helps a little.

Mistreena

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:43 am
I'm really not familiar with very much of it myself but here is a link to one of my favorite websites that has just about everything on it. It seems to have a considerable section on Celtic mythology and such

Sacred-texts : Celtic Folklore  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:44 am
Sadly I only know a little bit on Cú Chulainn, Morrígan, Badhbh Catha, and Neamhain. But I'm not sure which mythology they are all from. XD  

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200

Azuniblood

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:32 pm
I have some books I can look it up for you if you need some information.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:16 pm
I picked up The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries by W.Y. Evans-Wents. He went around and interviewed people native to different celtic areas in the UK and recorded testimonials.

The book describes itself as "the classic study of the luminous reality of leprechauns, pixies, and other fairy spirits."

I found it at a yard sale.  

Zurine

Feral Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
The Occult Research Society

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers