Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply Movies / Books / Video Games / Culinary / Avatars
Silent Hill 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LordStripeyTail

Quotable Smoker

6,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:23 am
Anyone ever play it? While it is the best horror-survival-puzzle-action-drama game ever, it definitely goes down in my top 3 general games of all time. Yeah, top 3. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot. The PC version is glitchy as hell even with patches. The PS3 version is lacking a subscenario, but it is still an EXTREMELY fun game to play. James Sunderland is my favourite fail-hero of all time.

If you haven't played it (probably because it was released back in 2001), I highly suggest you do. Unless you can stand creepy games. As usual with the Silent Hill series, it's not a big scare-based game, but it certainly gives you the willies, causing you to say, "There's no way I'm going down that dark hallway, man. Screw that."

I was hoping anyone who's played the game could share their thoughts and opinions on it. And hopefully, anyone who hasn't played will go out and pick up a 2 dollar copy of this masterpiece.

Quote:
Silent Hill 2 is a survival horror video game for the Sony PlayStation 2 developed by Team Silent and Konami, and published by Konami. The second installment in the Silent Hill series, it was released in late September 2001 in North America and Japan, and in late November 2001 in Europe. It was also ported to the Xbox and PC. It has also been re-released multiple times, including under the Greatest Hits label and as part of The Silent Hill Collection along with its indirect PS2 sequels Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 4: The Room.

While it is set in the series' namesake town, Silent Hill 2 is not a direct sequel to the events and characters of the first Silent Hill game. Instead, it centers on James Sunderland, who enters the town after receiving a letter written by his deceased wife, saying she is waiting for him in their "special place" in Silent Hill. Joined by Maria who resembles her except for a more provocative outfit and personality, he searches for her and discovers the truth about her death. Silent Hill 2 features six possible endings, the canonicity of which Konami has left ambiguous. Additional material in re-releases and ports included Born from a Wish, a sub-scenario which focuses on Maria before she and James meet.

Gameplay is similar to the first Silent Hill game, with greater emphasis on finding items and solving riddles than combat. Psychological aspects such as the gradual disappearance of Mary's letter were added to the game. More humanoid than their counterparts in the preceding game, some of the monsters were designed as a reflection of James's subconscious. Real-life references to history, films, and literary works can also be found in the game.

Silent Hill 2 was positively received by the audience and critics. Within the month of its release in North America, Japan and Europe, over one million copies were sold, with the greatest sales in North America. English-language critics praised the atmosphere, graphics, story, and monster designs of Silent Hill 2, but criticized the controls as difficult to use. Silent Hill 2 appeared on several critics' top lists, including IGN's 25 best PlayStation 2 games of all time and Destructoid's top 50 video games of the decade, for its story and use of metaphors, psychological horror, and taboo topics.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 am
I love that game!  

cajunantichrist

LordStripeyTail

Quotable Smoker

6,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:15 am
The beauty of the scariness is that it's all caused by atmosphere. There's not really that many sudden jump out and surprise you things.. It's all caused by music, sounds, and setting.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:48 am
Silent Hill was largely a cult classic until the onset of the internet, now just about everyone and their mom has played it.

Otherwise, I do enjoy the main series.  

Hoomiku

Fashionable Sex Symbol

6,975 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Millionaire 200

Sirnando Jordan

5,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:32 pm
I love Silent Hill, and 2 was one of my absolute favorites. I love it even more because it was the grand entrance of Pyramid Head. It was an incredible game all together.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:27 am
The Silent Hill series is a survival horror game and made for the best game-turned-movie I've ever seen. Silent Hill 2 is the best out of the series possibly with the exception with SH3.  

DJ Bulgogi

MR HIGH COMMAND

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 am
silent hill 2 the best horror survival game? yeaaaaaa no

its a good game and it certainly deserves a playthrough but the reason i dont like it as much as other horror games is it was only scary the first time i played it, after that i was like pffft whatever

not saying its a bad game but i like my horror games to still give me a scare or 2 even if i come back years later to play it again

Condemned: Criminal Origins
F.E.A.R
Doom 3
these are my top 3 scariest games  
Movies / Books / Video Games / Culinary / Avatars

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out