It was so-so.
  Not at all.
  So confused!!!!@_@
View Results

BroHanSein

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:31 pm
Kakigoori_Oujo
EpicNixxi
Watashi wa EpicNixxi desu. Watashi ju go sai desu. <== is this right?
I hope so smile

Watashi wa juugosai desu.
Other than that, yes it's right smile

xClubbed2Deathx
I have this game called My Japanese Coach, and I remember learning this and I was like, "HEY! I know what she's talking about!" xD But I'm confused on one part, and that is the "As for" thing.

Watashi wa Billy desu =>

As for me, my name is Billy

My mom (who is Japanese), told me that "watashi wa blank desu" just means "my name is blank." Is the "as for me" just another way of saying it? sweatdrop

Oh! And I look forward to future lessons. xD This is helpful.

Although I'm not the teacher here, I'll try to answer this question. I never use "as for me" when translating "watashi wa". I guess it just sounds a bit redundant in English. I don't think Japanese can translate to English exactly most of the time anyways.

"Watashi wa Billy desu" would just be translated as "I am Billy."

Ahhhhh, I see. So, "As for me" is just the exact translation but since it sounds weird we just translate it to "My name is" or "I am". I get it now. Thanks! xD  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:09 pm
xClubbed2Deathx
Kakigoori_Oujo
EpicNixxi
Watashi wa EpicNixxi desu. Watashi ju go sai desu. <== is this right?
I hope so smile

Watashi wa juugosai desu.
Other than that, yes it's right smile

xClubbed2Deathx
I have this game called My Japanese Coach, and I remember learning this and I was like, "HEY! I know what she's talking about!" xD But I'm confused on one part, and that is the "As for" thing.

Watashi wa Billy desu =>

As for me, my name is Billy

My mom (who is Japanese), told me that "watashi wa blank desu" just means "my name is blank." Is the "as for me" just another way of saying it? sweatdrop

Oh! And I look forward to future lessons. xD This is helpful.

Although I'm not the teacher here, I'll try to answer this question. I never use "as for me" when translating "watashi wa". I guess it just sounds a bit redundant in English. I don't think Japanese can translate to English exactly most of the time anyways.

"Watashi wa Billy desu" would just be translated as "I am Billy."

Ahhhhh, I see. So, "As for me" is just the exact translation but since it sounds weird we just translate it to "My name is" or "I am". I get it now. Thanks! xD

Forgive my long absence, moving is stressful!

Question to answer! Yes, "As for" is the most direct translation and I only use it that way so students can more clearly see the grammar structure since this isn't just about "My name is" but other noun sentences as well. Like the nice "I am a high school student" example or "Takeshi is a teacher" or "my mother is a doctor" , etc. they all break down the same way in Japanese.  

Ellembri
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Azwego61

3,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:15 pm
watashi wa hello kitty ga sukides(dont know if it is the right spelling) Please correct me if i'm wrong, =)

pink wa neko desu(correct me if i'm wrong) Thanks for breaking it down and explaining it's a big help some times lessons are so confusing, I once got a tape on learning the basics of Japanese for travel. I had the book that went with it, but it was so hard to follow because the lessons on the tape jumped around way to much and did not co inside with the book, I got so flustered and confused, I gave up on it. It was the worst book on tape I ever got at my library I will never get it again. You make it easy to understand biggrin dozo( I think that's please.)keep the lessons up =) I want to learn more, you make it easy for a old inu like me lol biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:43 am
Hajimemashite! Watashi no namae wa Emiko desu. Douzo yoroshiku.
O namae desuka?  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:24 am
well azwego you got the watashi part right we don't use ga in it when introducing yourself.
for example the correct way saying it Hajimemashite! how do you do? then you add this Watashi no namae wa Emiko desu.
as meaning my name is Emiko . Douzo yoroshiku.
please to meet you.
so there is guild called Japanese Academy that provides great information how to introduce yourself. so glad to help.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:55 pm
Ah, this is going to help a ton!

I can speak basic forms of japanese (small talk, really) and if someone speaks it to me, I can pretty much gather what they are saying... but as far as reading and recognizing the articles... it's far beyond what I've ever been taught. I just know pheneticly how to type out the words (or at least to the best that spelling can get) so it'll be nice to be able to recognize some of the characters.

Arigato gozaimasu!  

Kosher Coffee Bean

Robotic Zamat

Fashionable Elocutionist

7,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:34 am
Watashi wa Reka desu. Eigo sensei desu. Watashi wa nijuu-shichi-sai desu.

sweatdrop

I hope that's not ALL a load of SB:

LOL  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:46 pm
私はここの三ねん生です

I have basic sentence structures down, but I'm the type to always make silly mistakes so it's good to review.  

Frogs N Hedgehogs

X- Akiyama Okumura -X

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:52 pm
Watashi wa sakana ga daisukidesu.

私は魚が大好きです

I love fish

Am I right on this?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:19 pm
Hey, i FINALLY understand japanese grammar! So if i were to translate "I am a fish" into english roughly, it would be "I a fish am" right?
But I am a little confused on something else... Was i supposed to read a thread on written language and Kanji before coming here?

Teacup456

Lonely Lunatic

14,275 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

shizuka jozuna

1,350 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:27 pm
Ellembri
Disclaimer:
I don't mean to confuse anyone who have been following the other lessons on this forum, but I thought I would go at a slightly slower pace and take time to explain things and answer question from the basic structure stand point. I'm not trying to undermine anyone, I just want to help other who want to learn by letting them have other options.
Without further adieu...

As a general note, I will warn beginning students that some basic grammar terms will be used in these lessons from time to time so if you have a good knowledge of English grammar terms, it might be to your advantage, if not, you will learn just as much grammar about your own language as it pertains to Japanese.

To start, I will say that the first major difference between English and Japanese is the order of Subject, Object, and Verb. Every language has a defined order of these three and how they differ can effect how your learn a new language. English (in any dialect) is always a Subject, Verb, Object (SVO) order. the best way to see this order is through simple sentences:

The cat eats the fish.
__S____V____O___

Japanese, however, is in a Subject, Object, Verb (SOV) order and is the main reason why most Western speakers will call is "backwards". This is a common fallacy though, it is not that the language is backwards, it is just how it differs from what we are used to. So to begin we will start with basic noun sentences, keeping this difference in mind.

X は Y です。 --->Noun is Noun.

This is one of the most basic structures and by far the most versatile among noun sentences. When using this, please note that X and Y are both nouns (including pronouns). The most common example of this sentence is telling others who you are:

わたし は えつこ です。 ---> As for me, I am Etsuko.
watashi [wa] Etsuko desu.

わたし (watashi) is the pronoun for I, myself, me. は (pronounced wa) is the topic marker and states that the word or phrase before it is the topic of the sentence, the best translation for は [wa] is "As for...". えつこ (Etsuko) is another pronoun, being a name. And です (pronounced DEH-s or DEH-sue) is the auxiliary verb which coincidentally has the same meaning as the English auxiliary verb "is". This includes "is, am, and are" as well, just like the English equivalent.

A note about particles.
In English, we are used to articles or the fillers in the sentences that defines meaning, setting, spacial relationships, and time such as "a, the, of," etc. The Japanese have something similar to this called particles some of them include "は、が、を、へ、に、で、" etc. The major difference between the two languages is English is a "pre-position" language where as Japanese is a "post-position" language. This means that our article patterns (and most other patterns) go before the word or phrase it is describing or enhancing, whereas the Japanese particles will go after the word or phrase.

Not only can this be used for pronouns but nearly any two nouns that can be related this way:

すし は さかな です。 --->As for sushi, it is fish.
sushi [wa] sakana desu.

たけしさん は がくせい です。 ----->As for Takeshi, he is a student.
Takeshi-san [wa] gakusei desu.

Let's try it out! Try to come up with more sentences using X は Y です。
がんばります!(ganbarimasu) Do your best!

It's so helpful to me thank you  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:03 pm
Hajimemashite. Watashi wa Sara desu. Kyuu jyu sai desu~
Yoroshiku onegaishimasu biggrin

For now, I think I need to fix up my sentence construction, and this helps out, so thanks smile  

mitsuki_no_ko

asdfghjkl123asdkma

Ruthless Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:38 pm
わたしのくるまです。

Is this right for 'That is my car'?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:00 pm
わたし は アメリカンじん です。

I hope thats correct. My Japanese is a little rusty.  

allmanga23

Japanese language

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces