Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Writer's Club House

Back to Guilds

Love to write short stories? How about write poetry or even RP with a few people? This guild may be right for you! 

Tags: Writing, Literature, Roleplaying, Poetry, Short Stories 

Reply The Author's Room
and I have a not so simple question...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sinann of Erin

Destructive Genius

11,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:52 pm
I feel that one of the goals every writer...or most, at the least...is not only to entertain a reader, but to make them think.
Since this often comes with characters that challange the way most pepole think...you know, characters that seem to be incredibly different form society...where's the line?
Especially if it's the main character. Normally, you'd want them to relate to the reader, but I have one who's...unconventional.
Where is the line between thought provoking and unrealistic/annoying? I knwo they can be the same thing, but is there any distinction?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:42 pm
I'm not sure how to answer your question but I'll give it my best shot.

Sinann of Erin, if your character remains unconventional throughout the entire story, that really unrealistic and may be annoying. If you allow him/her to change over the timeline of the story and have him/her think deeply changing him/herself to a better and more appropriate standard, that can be thought provoking to the young people of society today.

Also, think hard about how your character reacts to situations. If he/she always shies away from something that will benefit him/her and lets others do everything else- your character really needs to gain some sort of courage or encouragement from another character. Kindness to an outcast while others would just shove that outcast away is a good, thought provoking idea.

Is that a good answer to your question? Because I wasn't really sure how to answer it but you have some tips there.  

Beckygan

7,150 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
The Author's Room

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items