Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Would you regret having been an Atheist? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you regret it?
  Yes
  No
  Gimme gold.
View Results

Dande_Lion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:32 pm
Mormons do believe that if you never heard the Truth (i.e. the Mormon gospel), then you'll get a chance after you die. You can still convert after you're dead.

And then if you don't convert, instead of going to the highest level of heaven, if you're a good person, you go to the middle level, which is where good non-believers go.

It's only if you're bad that you go to something that could be termed hell, and it's not supposed to be so bad except that you're surrounded by bad people.

So if Mormondom is true, I don't really want to go to heaven. I want to go to the middle level.

If standard Christianity is true, and I do end up in the fiery pits of hell suffering eternal torment, I'd forgive god for it because he wouldn't be able to help being small-minded.

If there is a Christian god, and he's all powerful, all-knowing, and benevolent then I can't see him sending me to hell because he'll know I'm making the best decision I can with what limited knowledge and logic I have available to me, and that I've always tried to be a good person.

And if it turns out that reincarnation is the case, well cool.

But I'm fully prepared to rot in my grave.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:29 pm
Tiptoer
Obiviously, you are going to be sent to Hell, but, the question is, will you regret having been an atheist, and wish that you had "Seen the Light."

Actually, this isn't quite true. According to traditional Catholic practice (but not official dogma), babies who die before baptism and "worthy" non-believers stay in "limbo" on the outer edge of heaven. I am not sure what would constitute this "worth", but it would probably be associated with magnanimous acts, virtue, etc.  

DivideByZero14

GEt CrUnK iTs BiLlY!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:48 am
If there is a God then he would probably send us to Heaven with wishes of redemtion for us because you know how Christians are always talking about how God and Jesus are such forgiving people.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:54 am
Thatisonesexypanda!
If there is a God then he would probably send us to Heaven with wishes of redemtion for us because you know how Christians are always talking about how God and Jesus are such forgiving people.

Apparently they're only forgiving while you're alive. ;]  

iviary

Yami_Ichi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:24 pm
Would I regret it? There was one time when I would have simply said yes, as I was a brainwashed moron. But now that I have my own standards and thinkings, I would say that I would not regret it.

My standards have changed and the way I think has changed immensly with it. When you really look at it, religion is simply a way for people to feel wanted, needed and loved. When you are in a church or have some religion, then you are with people who see things your way, love you for how you think, are there to help you with problems, see the way you see, and have so much more in common. And that is just the problem.

When people have nowhere else to go or nowhere else to turn to, what do they automatically do? They look to God, or some other higher power, to place blame or to look for support. And the people there give them what they need, so they are sucked in my the comfort and start to believe something when the poeple they trust tell them, "You can only have this comfort through Christ our Lord." They give them a false sense of security to pull them in.

Some people would argue and begin to use the, "He did miracles in the bible, and look what He is doing now!" Well, to that I have one thing to say; nothing is really happening. When you read the bible and start to believe what it says, your suconcious takes over the rest. You start to see things in a new light, and connect a few things to the bible and say that it is true because "the bible predicted it so". In all actuality, you are not seeing anything at all. You are merely seeing what your mind tells you you NEED to think, in order to continue to have faith in your religion.

So, no. I would not regret anything. I lived my life how I wanted to live it and had my own life. I did not have people who know religion shoving things down my throat, making me conform to them and telling me how to live my life. In my life I was me, and that is the only thing I want to be.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff