No way!
  Um, yeah!
  Heck no I love Halloween!
View Results

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:44 pm
Grace from God
Well... if Christ was suddenly right beside you... what would he say? What would you think?

Depends on your motives for celebrating and participating in the holiday. Christ gave each of us freedom of choice and we can act according to the way our conscience dictates. So I'd imagine if He were right next to us, He'd give us liberty to do the same. I doubt He will punish those who celebrate Halloween.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:47 pm
Grace from God
Personally, I don't like the idea of Halloween, cause it's almost like promoting evil indirectly, as if it's okay to be into the dark side every now and then.

I had a roommate once who got excited over Halloween just because it gave her the excuse of dressing up as a whore without being considered one. That was just kind of sickening...

I watched a commercial of some party mart selling Halloween costumes and they dressed up a baby with a devil costume... if Christ held that baby and took a look at what it was wearing... what do you think Christ would think? ^^;;

It's kinda like how Satan covers his traps with candy and pretty costumes... its scary.

Halloween isn't a way of promoting evil. All of the holidays have been highly commercialized now that their roots and history don't really stand any more. I doubt Christ is insulted by seeing people dressed up in devil costumes and what not. He does have a sense of humor.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:34 pm
Shadows-shine
Grace from God
Well... if Christ was suddenly right beside you... what would he say? What would you think?

Depends on your motives for celebrating and participating in the holiday. Christ gave each of us freedom of choice and we can act according to the way our conscience dictates. So I'd imagine if He were right next to us, He'd give us liberty to do the same. I doubt He will punish those who celebrate Halloween.

Shadows-shine
Grace from God
Personally, I don't like the idea of Halloween, cause it's almost like promoting evil indirectly, as if it's okay to be into the dark side every now and then.

I had a roommate once who got excited over Halloween just because it gave her the excuse of dressing up as a whore without being considered one. That was just kind of sickening...

I watched a commercial of some party mart selling Halloween costumes and they dressed up a baby with a devil costume... if Christ held that baby and took a look at what it was wearing... what do you think Christ would think? ^^;;

It's kinda like how Satan covers his traps with candy and pretty costumes... its scary.

Halloween isn't a way of promoting evil. All of the holidays have been highly commercialized now that their roots and history don't really stand any more. I doubt Christ is insulted by seeing people dressed up in devil costumes and what not. He does have a sense of humor.

He does? o.o;; What verse was this? Christ was pretty focused and determined to keep us away from sin, vanity, and warned us of stumbling blocks in the New Testament...

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1 John 2:15

Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak.
For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols?
So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge.
When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.
Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.

1 Corinthians 8:9-13

Do not put out the Spirit's fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.
1 Thessalonians 5:19-22

Rejoice, O young man, in your youth,
And let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth;
Walk in the ways of your heart,
And in the sight of your eyes;
But know that for all these
God will bring you into judgment.
Therefore remove sorrow from your heart,
And put away evil from your flesh,
For childhood and youth are vanity.

Ecclesiastes 11:9-10

Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way.
Romans 14:13  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:52 pm
Celebrating Halloween =/= committing a sin! There is nothing in the Bible that speaks against the holiday. We can be evil any day of the week. So why demoralize Halloween and call it evil just because some one puts a mask on?

And yeah He has a sense of humor, if Christ is the one who created us under the direction of His Father, and we have a sense of humor, then I am pretty sure that both of Them have one too.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:07 pm
Shadows-shine
Celebrating Halloween =/= committing a sin! There is nothing in the Bible that speaks against the holiday. We can be evil any day of the week. So why demoralize Halloween and call it evil just because some one puts a mask on?

And yeah He has a sense of humor, if Christ is the one who created us under the direction of His Father, and we have a sense of humor, then I am pretty sure that both of Them have one too.

I'm sure if God mentioned every single ungodly ritual of all the religions of the world, then the Bible would be a hundred times longer than it is now.

I'm not finished with the Bible yet but from the entire New Testament an from Genesis to 2 Samuel, God is pretty clear that we should not integrate ourselves with darkness in any way...

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
2 Corinthians 6:14  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:19 pm
Grace from God
Shadows-shine

I'm sure if God mentioned every single ungodly ritual of all the religions of the world, then the Bible would be a hundred times longer than it is now.

I'm not finished with the Bible yet but from the entire New Testament an from Genesis to 2 Samuel, God is pretty clear that we should not integrate ourselves with darkness in any way...

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

Halloween is NOT a religion nor is it a ceromony. It's a holiday. And most of the people who celebrate it today don't celebrate it in the manner that the ancient pagans did. It's a time to carve pumpkins, have fun roasting the seeds, trick-or-treating with family and friends, passing out candy, and generally having a good time. There is nothing wrong with that. If some one wants to use the holiday as an excuse to dress up in some stupid costume, or whatever..that is their problem. But there is nothing that prohibits them in the Scriptures from doing that. So therefore it's not a sin, nor is it against the Lord. Also, I can assure you, there is no verse or chapter in the bible that says "Do not celebrate Halloween, because it's bad!"  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:41 pm
Shadows-shine
Grace from God
Shadows-shine

Halloween is NOT a religion nor is it a ceromony. It's a holiday. And most of the people who celebrate it today don't celebrate it in the manner that the ancient pagans did. It's a time to carve pumpkins, have fun roasting the seeds, trick-or-treating with family and friends, passing out candy, and generally having a good time. There is nothing wrong with that. If some one wants to use the holiday as an excuse to dress up in some stupid costume, or whatever..that is their problem. But there is nothing that prohibits them in the Scriptures from doing that. So therefore it's not a sin, nor is it against the Lord. Also, I can assure you, there is no verse or chapter in the bible that says "Do not celebrate Halloween, because it's bad!"

I'm aware of all of that. Believe me, even I used to celebrate Halloween all my childhood and teenage years before I understood Gods Word.

I'm not trying to rob you of your fun, but I strongly suggest praying, because even something that seems innocent and right to us can actually be bad.
There is a way which seemeth right to a man, but the end of it are the ways of death. Proverbs 14:12
Think about nonbelievers - they don't see what's so bad about lying to people every once in a while, some don't see what's so bad about self imposed revenge, or going to Las Vegas and gambling and maybe getting laid or even using the Lords name in vain.

To us we know it's bad because we have gotten this from God as the milk. But God says to constantly be in the Word, to study His Word and meditate on it every day, in hopes us not falling away or stumbling, and thus be able to grow to be able to eat meat and solid food.

I'm saying this cause God wants us to edify each other, even about things that seem innocent. And for the safer path, we can just ignore our own desire for fun and pleasure, and just stay on the safe path, the path that God has designated for us, because like He said about the narrow gate in Matthew 7:14 that not only is the gate small, but the path is narrow as well.
Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:14  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:10 am
i would like to point out that not all pagan traditions are bad. christmas started out as a pagan holiday and even easter has some pagan roots. there are also plenty of christian wedding traditions that have pagan roots

evil pagan traditions are evil, like black magic and things like that, but not all pagan traditions are like that, most of the the ones that are still around today dont hurt anybody's mind or body.  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:16 am
Grace from God

I'm aware of all of that. Believe me, even I used to celebrate Halloween all my childhood and teenage years before I understood Gods Word.

I'm not trying to rob you of your fun, but I strongly suggest praying, because even something that seems innocent and right to us can actually be bad.
There is a way which seemeth right to a man, but the end of it are the ways of death. Proverbs 14:12
Think about nonbelievers - they don't see what's so bad about lying to people every once in a while, some don't see what's so bad about self imposed revenge, or going to Las Vegas and gambling and maybe getting laid or even using the Lords name in vain.

To us we know it's bad because we have gotten this from God as the milk. But God says to constantly be in the Word, to study His Word and meditate on it every day, in hopes us not falling away or stumbling, and thus be able to grow to be able to eat meat and solid food.

I'm saying this cause God wants us to edify each other, even about things that seem innocent. And for the safer path, we can just ignore our own desire for fun and pleasure, and just stay on the safe path, the path that God has designated for us, because like He said about the narrow gate in Matthew 7:14 that not only is the gate small, but the path is narrow as well.
Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:14

Well I am not a young child nor am I a teenager. I don't trick or treat any more because I am too old for it, but I have a daughter who loves to go and I'm not going to prohibit her from doing so until the Lord tells me point blank that Halloween is bad. I understand God's word very well. And there is nothing wrong with celebrating Halloween. If you are going to demonize one holiday, then you might as well demonize all of them because they all have pagan roots, including Easter and Christmas. If I remeber correctly, Easter surrounds a pagan tradition that has to do with fertility. And also, if my memory serves me right the Chirstmas trees at Christmas have some thing to do with paganism.

There is nothing wrong with having fun. Living the Christian life does not exclude us from having a good time. It's not all serious, uptight living. So I repeat there is nothing wrong with celebrating ANY holiday, including Halloween. Believe or not, I have prayed about all the holidays, since they ALL of have pagan roots of some sorts, and Heavenly Father hasn't given me any red flags or told me not to celebrate them or participate in them.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:13 am
Shadows-shine
Grace from God

Well I am not a young child nor am I a teenager. I don't trick or treat any more because I am too old for it, but I have a daughter who loves to go and I'm not going to prohibit her from doing so until the Lord tells me point blank that Halloween is bad. I understand God's word very well. And there is nothing wrong with celebrating Halloween. If you are going to demonize one holiday, then you might as well demonize all of them because they all have pagan roots, including Easter and Christmas. If I remeber correctly, Easter surrounds a pagan tradition that has to do with fertility. And also, if my memory serves me right the Chirstmas trees at Christmas have some thing to do with paganism.

There is nothing wrong with having fun. Living the Christian life does not exclude us from having a good time. It's not all serious, uptight living. So I repeat there is nothing wrong with celebrating ANY holiday, including Halloween. Believe or not, I have prayed about all the holidays, since they ALL of have pagan roots of some sorts, and Heavenly Father hasn't given me any red flags or told me not to celebrate them or participate in them.

Yeah I'm really not a fan of Easter and Christmas. I find Christmas to be more of a paradox, since Christ says that we shouldn't trap ourselves into worldly possessions and materialism, but we get into the holiday spirit and decorate our lawns with flashing lights and buy stuff for people and hope to get stuff from others. More possessions.

And its really disheartening when I realized how bad the concept of Santa Clause really is... kids are told that Santa Clause is real but when they grow up, they find out that he is fake, what does that give them when they learn about Christ? Like that jingle "he knows when you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake"... thats a god right there. Not our God. Children will just start thinking that since Clause is fake, then Christ must be fake as well (I know I did and many of the people I knew growing up).

You're right, there's nothing wrong with having fun as a follower of Christ. Like in Ecclesiastes 11, He says to enjoy our youth, but remember that you will be judged by what you do and say. Also:
But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.
Matthew 12:36-37

On another note, fun doesn't always mean you have to keep with the customs of this world. You can also have a lot of fun spreading the Gospel (I know I do... I find myself digressing to this subject a lot when I talk to people), or listening to Christian music (my favorite artist right now is Lecrae by the way) or even going out there and helping others like homeless people, volunteering at soup kitchens or habitat for humanity, or even donating to Christian charities that evangelize. It's the fun that gives you that long lasting warm feeling... especially since you are glorifying God and not yourself. Doing His will, and not your own. I know we are all guilty of doing what we want to do than what God wants us to do, but when you do something for Him, it is the best feeling ever.  

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:43 pm
I don't believe in introducing Santa or the Easter Bunny into the holidays to my kids. I keep them out. Sure I tell them that they are mythical characters that are part of children's stories, but that doesn't stop me from celebrating the holidays themselves. I let my kids open presents on Christmas morning and I let them do Easter egg hunts on Easter. Nothing wrong with doing either. My kids know true meaning of both holidays and that's the important thing.  
~Ancient Scrolls~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff