Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Supernatural and Paranormal Network

Back to Guilds

A guild all about the supernatural and paranormal, allowing for open discussion for believers and sceptics alike. 

Tags: supernatural, paranormal, ghosts, psionics, magic 

Reply The Supernatural and Paranormal Network
Stonehenge and Avebury

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Jagged
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:48 am
What are your opinions on the reason for the building of these stone circles?
These two stone circles are in wiltshire. There have been a high number of crop circles in the area.
There is also a manufactured hill of soil nearby that has been excavated a number of times but there has been nothing found that points to the reason of it's building.
I am wondering what the people of this guild think.

Stonehenge
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Avebury
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Avebury is so big that there is a village in the middle of it. There are also two stone marked paths that go out either side of it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:09 am
Didn't they prove that Stonehenge was a calendar of sorts? Maybe I'm thinking of something else... As for the spiritual aspect of that place...
There's so many theories, but the only one that I even consider plausible would be rituals. Old spiritual rituals... probably involving the moon's phases...
(Examples of totally unreasonable theories: interdimensional portalways; Merlin's true home; a ressurection alter; etc.)

I've never heard of Avebury... so I've no opinion on that one... I'll go look it up... be right back...
*Six minutes later*
Wow... serpent and sun, huh? The site I went to says that's a traditional alchemical symbol. Interesting... I need more info...

This is supposed to be Avebury, and quite a bit of its surrounding land...
User Image
And this is just a drawing of the stones before many of them were removed...
User Image

Wow... This is really interesting... I need to look into this... That reminds me; I need to do more research on Stonehenge, too...

Sorry for rambling like this! .^_^;;.  

ajina

A.Laran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:52 pm
Wanting to be an archaeologist, I say that they were merely a way for the people to worship the celestial bodies, like many other civilizations. We fall into thinking that they weren't advanced. . . disagree!!!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:56 am
Do druids go there fairly regularly, and there's hundreds that turn up for the summer solstice. There also tend to be a constant supply of hippies around Avebury.

I also forgot to mention something about the rock for stonehenge, and maybe avebury. The rocks aren't local rocks. They were dragged all the way from wales to wilshite, which is more then half way accross the country, to be placed here. Nobody knows why this happened.  

Lord Jagged
Captain

Sailor Jupitere

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:56 am
i really don't know what to think of it.
this week it's really crop circle week for me at least. we've been having some weird things happening here too.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:45 pm
megamishizun
i really don't know what to think of it.
this week it's really crop circle week for me at least. we've been having some weird things happening here too.

We tend to get crop circles every year, and the farmers just turn the field into a tourist attraction and make even more money. xd  

Lord Jagged
Captain

Evorg

Dangerous Phantom

8,350 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:27 pm
I don't know about the avebury place, but i know of stonehenge, i was just there today.
I know i'm not part of the guild yet, but i'd like to join, about to in a couple of minutes. But please, read this before just dissmissing me.
Some things to think about with the place. The druids are celts who came to the island and weren't orriginaly there. Yes they use the place, but stonehenge was completed way way way before they ever got there, so i think their out of the picture.
However i think instead of looking and thinking about the rocks, i think we should look at the location? The ancient people could have put those rocks up anywhere, so what makes this one important?
While i was there it was really hard to resist the temptation to jump the ropes and walk amungst the rocks. To me it's always mesmorizing and pulling when you go to the old places.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:39 am
Sam von Maxion
I don't know about the avebury place, but i know of stonehenge, i was just there today.
I know i'm not part of the guild yet, but i'd like to join, about to in a couple of minutes. But please, read this before just dissmissing me.
Some things to think about with the place. The druids are celts who came to the island and weren't orriginaly there. Yes they use the place, but stonehenge was completed way way way before they ever got there, so i think their out of the picture.
However i think instead of looking and thinking about the rocks, i think we should look at the location? The ancient people could have put those rocks up anywhere, so what makes this one important?
While i was there it was really hard to resist the temptation to jump the ropes and walk amungst the rocks. To me it's always mesmorizing and pulling when you go to the old places.

Something else that makes the location seem very important is the fact that the stones that both Avebury and stonehenge are built from were brought to Wiltshire all the way from Wales.  

Lord Jagged
Captain

The Supernatural and Paranormal Network

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces