Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gold Diggers and Pollwhores Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild where you can do polls, polls, and more polls. Whist making friends and competing in numerous free competitions 

Tags: polls, gold, anime, active, friends 

Reply Cooking, Baking & Nomming
Healthy Dieting

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Food
  Vitamin
  Merely a tool to help me get through life.
  It tastes quite good.
View Results

NekoLaharl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:21 am
And before you go on thinking this means I'll be eating less food, it doesn't. I just need some information from a reliable source: You guys.

Now, i think the reason I'm not doing so well in some classes is because I'm not eating properly. Here are some of my problems:

- I am sleeping too much/always tired.
- I cannot seem to focus in class/show no interest in the subject material, even when I am.

I know part of it is me. That's not hard to solve. But I also know part of it comes from unhealthy/bad food choices. So, I need your guys' help. What should I eat lots of? What nutrients are most important in the learning benefactor? Am I just doomed because of my own inadequacy and stupidity in that I am a failure at life and school?

Your input is (as always) appreciated and loved heart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:19 am
Edit: You may want to read this in sections, take a breather, and read then next one.

A lot of people and places recoment a good oaty/ceral breakfast (avoiding ones high in sugar). Though Sage feels slugish and heavy if he does that...So here is

heart THE SAGE LIST FOR ENERGY heart

FRUIT - Fruit is one of the winners in the energy health world. Most fruits have high ammounts of fructose, fructose which is a fast absorbed natural sugar (not to be confused with high-fructose-corn syrup). Not only will fruits give you sugar for energy but other vitamins and minerals as well.

Great fruits - Go with the ones in season, they are the cheapest, and also the freshest, also if you can get local fruits its even better

Good choices = Bananas, Apples, Citrus (orange, grapefruit, lemon, manderin etc), Pears, Berrys, Melons etc.

NUTS AND SEEDS - Although most nuts energy wont hit you straight away these guys are awesome for long term energy. High in good fats, vitamins, minerals and protien. Sage loves long hikes, and sage would NEVER go on a long hike without nuts/seeds. Also nuts are known to give a mental heath boost as well.

Great nuts and seeds - So many of the nuts and seeds you see in supermarkets are either salted, or coated with stuff that alter the taste, which is wierd because natural nuts are awesome. Sage is lazy and preffers preshelled. Go with unsalted, and avoided any form of roasted besides dry roasted.

Good choices = Brazil nuts, Cashews, peanuts, Almonds, Macedamias, Pecans, Sesame seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Sunflower seeds etc. (remember avoid salted/flavoured/coated).

12 walnuts a day can also boost your mood by providing your body with omega-3 fatty acids which can raise seratonin in your brain thus helping to reduce depression.

GREENS - These are the ones which you dont really notice how they affect you, but bascially keeps everything running good. The boost pretty much everything. Also...Forget those sloppy greens your parents served, the best greens are raw.

Great greens - Are crisp, uncooked, or slightly steamed, again in season, and local are best, good in a salad or just as a snack.

Good Choices = Raw Broccoli (seriously I love it), Raw or slightly steamed peas and beans (Love chick peas), Celery, and salady leafy stuffs.

Raw Veges - Why cook, when uncooked gives the best cruchiest, fastest, on the go, nutrient packed, slap in the go getter you can get. These are usually good at removing those toxins you have which make you sluggish, as well as all round boost.

Great raw veges - Are not cooked (duh), are not pealed, are washed to remove dirt (but dirt really isnt that bad, it can actually boost your immune system), In season, easy to get, chop up, and can be put in a snack box easily.

Good Choices = Carrots, Radish, Peppers, Cauliflower, Tomato, Cucumber etc.

Natural Yogurt - Real yougurt with real bacterial cultures such as acidophilus and bifidus are not only good for B group vitamins as well as other nutrients, but they will also help cleanse your intestines and maintain a good balance of natural bacteria (a healthy colon absorbs more nutrients and thus gives more energy)

Great Natural Yogurt - Is not "Dairy food (thats fake yogurt)", includes cultures, may have fruit or be plain (I preffer Greek), is not highly sweetened (yes check close they often trick you here).

Good Choices = Natural unflavoured yogurt, Greek yogurt etc.

stressed SAGES LIST OF FOODS THAT MAKE YOU SLUGGISH, MOODY and SAD stressed

Sage does not say to give up these foods, he just says limit them, or use them as rewards. Sage does in fact consume many of these daily, but he (trys) balances them out.

Soda/pop/fizzy - This is one of the biggest food epidemic causations. Basically soda is just fizzy sugar, or in diet form, its fizzy super sugar. There is pretty much no advantages to drinking soda, but problems assosiated are extensive. The sugars cause mood swings and affect sleep habits

Alternatives - Diet/Calorie free drinks are NOT the awnser, infact often the artifical sweeteners are even worse for you. If you like that carbinated sensation/taste, you can get a carbonator pretty cheaply, or buy carbonated water cheaply, and then add it to juices (avoid sugar added juices)

Pretzels, Chips, and the like - These are one of my biggest weaknesses, I know I can demolish a family bag of doritos by myself, and not long after eating dinner. But these are full of salt, bad starches and fats, and other chemicals which make you feel sluggish and gross in the long run.

Alternatives - Natural unbuttered unflavoured popcorn (you can add a lil bit of your own butter if you want, but plain hot popcorn is actually pretty good. Nuts/trail mix...you know sage loves em nuts

Candy - Sorry to say, but this is pretty much a buzz then die food. Pretty much its sugar, often coated in sugar, with layers of sugar inside, Do I really need to point out whats wrong with that?

Alternatives - Dark Chocolate, If its about 75% or darker, then dark chocolate actually has many health benifits. Sure you dont want to consume a king size block each day, but a couple rows may actually give you some health boosts.

Sports/Energy Drinks - Another sage weakness, but do you really think Gatorade is good for you? Prehaps if you do 2+ hours of solid exercise then one small bottle may help you...But that is seriously one lying cake. But pretty much all energy drinks may positive claims, and can use positive stats (which stats can prove anything seriously). but in general all the "energy booster/mood enhancers" will lead to your body storing more fats, and having body chemical roller coasters which ultamitly lead to bad effects.

Alternatives - Energy drinks, are a sage reward...He may have one midway through a 8 hour promo street blitz, and he Has a bottle of "Gforce" during table tennis (which is about 3 hours long). But water is uber awesome and Ill discuss it more later. But natural unsweetened juices can be just as effective as energy drinks.

eek THE SAGE -WELL IT REALLY DEPENDS ON CERTAIN FACTORS - LIST eek

Coffee - So many people I know never drunk coffee before uni, and many didnt like it in first or second year, but by third year were converted. Coffee is a wonder drug which can help you find those next two paragraphs in your 3000 word essay, help you survive Dr Borebrokers lectures, and help you perk up and focus before a exam.

What to drink - Espresso, cappacino, mochas the common hot drinks in general arnt too bad, but becareful of that "White chocolate uber hazelnut creamy cina mocha" Typically if a coffee has more than one word in the title its not going to be as good for you as the others. Sage has come to rely on quad shots, this is why happens when you have too much coffee, so try and balance it out, as strong coffee (in terms of extra shots, runs heart and circulatory issues)

What to avoid - Frappes, chillers, blenders, syrups etc. All of these take the benifits of coffee and effectivly turn them into the negitives of a energy drink. Also try and avoid it 2-3 hours before sleeping as this can muck up your sleep schedule and sap any benifits it has

ninja IF SAGE ONLY HAD ONE MESSAGE ninja

Its drink water.

Try and form a habit of taking a water bottle to every lecture, and try and finish it within the lecture. You will pee more but thats fine...not only will that leech out toxins, but it means youre body is becoming more hydrated.

Dehydration is a weird thing, most people are in it perpetually, and its not actually untill you train your body to be hydrated that you start to notice when you havent had enough.

Experts say 8 glasses a day is the minimum...I try and have a large bottle of cokes worth of water a day (more if I have a lot of physical exercise). Dont worry about "hyponatremia" Seriously you will only get water poisoning if you try and drink more than a gallon in less than 10 mins (or related ammounts over longer time periods, like 2 gallons in 20 mins). hyponatremia is when you flood your body and its nutrients basically get to diluted, and the cells swell to much as well etc. But that only ever really happens in water drinking comps...which should be illegal. Sage can do a gallon of water in an hour (but then take a break) with no probs.

That is sages input on consumptional health, any questions (or disagreements) from anyone in this guild, feel free to ask me.

I will do a lifestyle post later, when you have had a chance to absorb this.  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:26 am
Also listen to this for general life coachosity

Also I just checked, the above post is 1496 words (roughly). Uni kinda teaches you how to spill out 1500 word essays without needing too much thinking (but still knowing you will need to do a certain ammount of research).

but I have noticed since uni, writing 1500 words does seem to come to me now without any real effort  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:06 pm
*takes notes from Sage*

I know part of my problem is low iron and that usually fatigues me so at least take a multivitamin each day, but yeah listen to Sage *continues taking more notes*

TJ_Jaganshi
Vice Captain

7,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx

Mega Nerd

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:31 pm
i think Sagebomb got this down for you. ^^
i was just going to tell you make sure you don't skip a meal (breakfast is very important!) and go to bed at a reasonable time so you have at least 7 hours of sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:44 pm
TJ_Jaganshi
*takes notes from Sage*

I know part of my problem is low iron and that usually fatigues me so at least take a multivitamin each day, but yeah listen to Sage *continues taking more notes*

Yeah being low in iron is really bad for energy since it is the main binder in haemoglobin which allows blood to carry oxygen to the muscles.

I advocated against multivitamins in general, unless you need them for specific conditions like anemia.

Because multivitamins in general are expensive pee...Most of them simply gets filtered out as most of them are not natural easily absorbed forms. In fact many vitamins pack in the vits/minerals to look good, but its pretty much near impossible to absorb many of these. Diet is the best form of nutrient, and pills should only be used for shortfalls you cant get any other way.  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:11 pm
Sage's post is epic. Makes me not want to eat the Butterfinger I was planning on eating.

But I just want to throw this out there too: it may not just be diet. I don't know if you can get a sleep study done, but it could be useful. I had the same problems with always being tired and never being able to focus, and in my case it was the sleep apnea. Who knows, you could have some kind of sleep disorder.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:40 pm
Ok mate here is my experience in dieting, I know the theory but find it hard to put it into prac well :S lol, atm I am building muscle at the gym so this is why, I go 4-5 times per week.

Ok now some help with your problem;
First you must make sure you are eating breakfast, and not just a piece of fruit or something little, make it a big breakfast, I myself find oats (porridge) very effective and at the moment have 1/2 a cup cooked every morning (although I would recommend atleast 1 cup) and I have that with 1-2tsps of brown sugar to add some flavour. You can add anything else to your porridge, banana or some other type of fruit would be good.

Another thing I would suggest is - Humans are grassers and we are made to eat throughtout the whole day not just 3 meals per day, this doesn't mean you eat regular sized meals throughout the whole day but graze in between your 3 main meals (so have snacks etc.) Seeds and nuts are good and so is say a piece of fruit. This also helps keep your metabolism kicking at its best because you are feeding it and keeping it running as fast as it can.

Last thing for now is;
In Western cultures we have a very acidic diet with all our meats and fast food that we eat, and our body is like anything and it has its own PH balance and with all these foods it puts this balance out of place. A way to re-balance this PH balance is by drinking a cup of bali grass a day (which is absolutely disgusting!) lol, I myself take 2 spirulina tablets a day which basically does the same thing, you can also buy bali grass tablets and they are not very expensive, for 250 of the brand I buy it costs about $30 (It sort of detox's your body)

I hope any of this has helped smile  

Igotvtec

Citrus Novii

Anxious Fairy

10,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:18 am
/coughs

I agree with all dat stoof that Sage said.
:D

When I was in high school I was ALWAYS FRACKING TIRED, until I stopped eating the cafeteria food, and started working out more, going to bed earlier, and the what not (course I had to to get up at like....4am to catch the bus at 5am. BUT TIS A STORY FOR ANOTHER DAI!) and suddenly, I started not being tired anymore. 3nodding

NOVII ESPECIALLY AGREES WITH THE WATER STATEMENTS.
Best drank evar.
If you already drink a lot of water, DRINK MOAR. D:<
Just joking--sorta.
I went through like 4 liters yesterday.
I felt like a boss.
No lie.
Couldn't sit down for more than five minutes.
But--LIKE.A.BOSS.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:47 am
@Novii: xd heart

Crystal Lite is still better... ninja

And for SOME reason, the exercising I've been doing has not made me more energetic. If anything, I feel more tired from physical exhaustion some days. Though maybe I'm just not eating enough...or enough of the right things.  

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:00 am
Citrus Novii

I agree with all dat stoof that Sage said.

NOVII ESPECIALLY AGREES WITH THE WATER STATEMENTS.
I went through like 4 liters yesterday.
LIKE.A.BOSS.

Sage is called sage for a reason ninja

But yes on the water, too much is almost always never enough, and you can just pee it out when the times get tough. Keep it in mind that I designed this rhyme, to remind in due time, all I know, Water is a valuable thing, drink it down as the pendulum swings. Suck it down to the end of the day, the you can pee it away
Met a giant fish...And...bombed the russians...eh, Yeah, <3 lonely Island.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:51 pm
Sage, your post made me crack up xd The Lonely Island rocks my socks.  

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:08 pm
Cheers bro, I got inspired XD