Welcome to Gaia! ::

THE RANDOM PEOPLE OF TOMORROW [[LET'S RAWRRR]]

Back to Guilds

Playground for the random. 

Tags: Random, Hangout, Roleplay, Contests, Arts 

Reply We're Trying To Find Bigfoot And His Witch Of A Wife! [[The Mythological and Magic Sub]]
How to Meet Your Totem Animal

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Simply Berry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:40 am
Acey and that Zom were curious when I told them I found out mine was a wolf. It is possible to have more than one, and it is possible for you animal totem to change over time. I truly believe my totem animal was a snake at some point, and I'll explain why in another thread which I'll put up so you guys can post what your totem animal is. Anyways, here's what that Native American website I went to told me to do:

How To Find Your Animal Totem

An Animal Totem is an important symbolic object used by a person to get in touch with specific qualities found within an animal which the person needs, connects with, or feels a deep affinity toward.

You can have several animal guides through out your life. Sometimes an animal guide will come into your life for a short period of time, and then be replaced by another depending on the journey or direction you are headed toward. Your guide will instruct and protect you as you learn how to navigate through your spiritual and physical life. When you find an animal that speaks strongly to you or feel you must draw more deeply into your life, you might fill your environment with images of the animal to let the animal know it's welcome in your space. Animal guides can help you get back to your Earthly roots, and reconnect with nature by reminding you that we are all interconnected. To first do this you need to know what your Animal Totem is.

If You Don't Know

If you don't know what your Animal Totem is there are several questions you can ask yourself. All of the questions below are designed to get you thinking about a prominent animal in your life. There are no right or wrong answers. Only you can truly know which Animal Totem(s) are right for your journey.

1. Since we are drawn to that which resonates with us, what animal, bird, or insect are you drawn to?
2. When you go to the park, forest, or zoo what animal are you most interested in seeing?
3. What animal do you most frequently see when you're out in nature or in the city?
4. What animals are you currently interested in learning about?
5. Which animal do you find most frightening or intriguing?
6. Have you ever been bitten or attacked by an animal?
7. Is there a recurring animal in your dreams or do you have one you have never forgotten?

Still Uncertain?

If you are still uncertain which animal is your totem, here a few exercises you can do to come closer to the answer. You must not try to force the animal to come, it can pick up on that energy and be put off. Being patient and doing the following exercises will draw your animal totem to you.

1. Ask yourself what animal has played a meaningful part in your world? If you're unsure, make a list of animals that have drawn your interest or have left a deep impression on you from paintings, photographs, stories, movies, carvings, etc.
2. Which animal shows up in your life most frequently? Keep a journal of the animals present in your dreams or that you encounter through the day for the next month. How did the animal behave? Did you interact with the animal?
3. Find a place where you can be alone to meditate. Sit quietly and ask your animal to make it's nature known to you. Feel free to use tools such as incense, smudge, and candles to help you.
4. Don't give up, sometimes your animal totem is nearby watching to see if you're serious about connecting with it. Keep doing the above exercises until your animal totem makes itself known to you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:42 am
One of my favourite artists also stated this in a journal she wrote, since she was the one who got me interested in finding out initially:

How To Meet Your Totem

People are apparently really interested in knowing how I found my totem animal, so here is what I did.

First, I read a lot of books about it, but they all said something along the line of, “Imagine that you’re standing on a field. Then you see a forest and walk over to it. You walk through the forest for some time until you come to a cave. Imagine that your totem comes out of it”

So they’re basically asking me to make up a little story where I have complete control over everything, including what comes out of the cave. That didn’t fly with me, so I made up my own method.

First get yourself relaxed. Drink some tea/coffee/warm milk. Sunbathe. Have a wank. It doesn’t matter as long as it makes you feel relaxed. Then find a comfortable position either sitting or lying. You can find plenty of methods on the internet on how to get completely relaxed.
Listening to relaxing music helps you clear your head (If you like music).

What you’re aiming for when meditating is the state of mind you’re in just before you fall asleep, when you see and hear random things, but is still awake. The tricky part here is to not slip completely into dreamland, and you will most likely fall asleep the first few times. Not to worry. It’s completely normal, and will be some of the best naps you’ll ever have.

Now imagine yourself standing on a spot in a big empty universe. Listen to the music, and see the world change around you. Just let it flow past you, in and out of the universe. It might look like something, it might just be colours and sounds. Doesn’t matter. You might even see monsters charging at you. Either ignore them, or get a good look at them and then tell them to ******** off because you’re in the middle of something here.

At some point the world around you will get more solid and take shape. The landscape you’re now in can be anything. A forest, beach, field, desert, sea, swamp, suburban neighbourhood, or a volcanic landscape. Now go exploring in this world. It will change around you as you do so, and that’s okay.

You might find the totem at this point, but if you don’t, go actively looking for it. It can be anywhere.

And a friendly warning. If you meet your favourite animal, be very suspicious, because chances are that you’re forcing the animal there because you desperately want a wolf/bear/fox/hawk/tiger as your totem.

When you meet it, greet it and spend some time together. Feel it, listen to it, look at it. Then part ways, go back to your spot and wake up. smile

I personally ended up on a tropical beach. I walked along the water and found a stingray lying in the sand. I picked it up, and carried it out into the water. We got to know each other for a bit (No, it didn’t talk) until I got bored, and then it swam away.

Even if you don’t believe in such things, I still suggest trying it just for the experience. It’s like watching a magician. You don’t actually believe that he can do magic, but it’s still entertaining. biggrin

Simply Berry

Simply Berry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:43 am
So yeah, good luck for those of you who are genuinely curious.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:32 pm
oooo im gonna try this, then ill tell you what i come up with.
ill try it tonight... but i think ill be to buzy with the fact that ITS NOT GONNA SNOW!!!!!  

Darkness Dragons Revenge
Crew

Loyal Mage

19,750 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

victini1575

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:49 pm
looks kinda cool  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:15 pm
My mom just got a book from the library about this and it says pretty much the same thing. there was also a part about birds and their feathers have a lot of meaning. it said something about some people like to find bird feathers and stroke them and observe them and it has a strong meaning, like if you meditate with them the bird will guide you or something. I totally like collecting and feeling feathers. I dont remember exactly what it said because i was just skimming it to see what the book was about but I thought it was cool.  

FluffyKittyofDOOM_19

Darkness Dragons Revenge
Crew

Loyal Mage

19,750 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:06 pm
Darkness Dragons Revenge
oooo im gonna try this, then ill tell you what i come up with.
ill try it tonight... but i think ill be to buzy with the fact that ITS NOT GONNA SNOW!!!!!

Edit; I think my spirit animal is a dragon, I have had reoccurring dreams with dragons in them...  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:22 am
I should probably try the meditating thing, as I have had "reoccurring dreams " about a number of animals. Though I can't claim to truly believe in these things, I still find them very intriguing, and well, it can't hurt to keep an open mind, can it? biggrin
I've come to the conclusion that mine may be one of four creatures; a cat (though that may be considered cliché), a robin (or a small songbird of some sort), a small poisonous snake, or a butterfly. I have always been drawn to these animals, and I don't know why. I've always been told that I'm "cat-like" in movement and appearance, and I'm apparently as flighty as a songbird, silver tongued, and as easily distracted as a butterfly.
But who knows, perhaps it is neither of these things.  

Ominelle

We're Trying To Find Bigfoot And His Witch Of A Wife! [[The Mythological and Magic Sub]]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games