Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheist - Not Real

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iMito

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:05 pm
So, recently I've heard an arguement that there is no such thing as atheism.

It is argued that, even if you don't have a God, there is always something that is put at the top in your life, whether it is your career, money, a loved one, etc. On top of that, any moral code is labeled as a religion, which I was previously unaware of. Since everyone gives themselves a moral code by human nature, it is then inherent that we cannot be atheists.

My opinion is this is complete BS, but I won't go into my opinion to it's fullest. I wanted your opinions, instead. So, go at it, what do you think.

If you have any questions, go for it and I will see what I can find out from my source - a friend.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:00 pm
Well, allow me to define theism:

Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world.

Thus, atheism is a disbelief in the existence of a god or gods.
Last time I checked, there are plenty of people that fit that description.

And what about religion? Here's its definition:

1. a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion

A moral code does not make up a religion. I do not lead a moral life out of reverence for a supernatural power, nor based on the teachings of a spiritual leader. I suppose if I pursue it with "zeal or conscientious devotion", but in the general sense of the word, religion is in relation to the worship of a deity. Also, atheism is not the lack of religion, but the lack of belief in a god.

Therefore, atheism exists.
It is quite common.
And your friend is full of hot air, among other things.
pirate  

iviary

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:43 pm
What they are trying to say is that atheism is the lack of religion, and that having morals means you are religious. To start with, their problem is that they don't know what atheism is.

Atheism has nothing at all to do with your morals.
The only thing atheism defines about you is that you lack a belief in any gods/deities/supreme beings. It does not mean that you are not moral or spiritual.

The argument assumes that a person will have morals without believing in any god. That says that a person does not need any god in order to be moral. Therefore you have admitted that morality and the belief/disbelief in gods are separate. That leaves them with needing to prove that a moral sense is a religion and atheism is lack of religion. And regardless of whether they can make a moral code count as a religion, atheism is not the lack of a religion so the argument goes no where.

Also, by basing the argument on the assumption that "even if you don't have a God" the argument starts off by admitting that atheism does exist.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:28 am
I think basically what they're trying to say is "It is impossiblle to be an Atheist when you have good morals". This is what happens when they don't even take the time to learn about other's beliefs. sweatdrop  

Orson Welles

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:50 pm
There is a difference between Religion and Atheism.

It deals with the beliefs. Moral beliefs will always exist, and they concern what is right, and wrong, evil, non-evil, true, and not true.

Human behavior is guided by beliefs. That is why they fight over it, because it holds importance.

In religion, those moral beliefs are centered around a diety, or group of deities. They do not think about what is right and wrong, because it is set before them by other people, by a book, or by what their "God" is supposed to have said. It eliminates the thought process of choice in a sense.

In athiesm those beleifs are centered around the individual, and it is up to the individual to choose which is right and wrong. They don't use scripts, long sermons, or other people to make choices for them. They don't need books to tell them how to live thier life. They use thier brain.

Religious beleive that a god made them, and they follow what beleifs they beleive will grant them closeness to thier god.

Atheist beleive that a god didn't create them, and they follow what they believe as an individual is right and wrong, so that they can live as productive as possible in thier lifetime.

So in the most simplistic terms: In religion beleifs are centered around a diety or group of deitys. In Atheism beliefs are centered around an individual, and thier ability to use thier brain.

So when an athiest makes a bad choice, they blame the fault as thier own. When they fail they see the failure as thier making a mistake of some sort.

When an athiest succeeds, it is because of thier own perseverance, and because they made a right choice somewhere along the line.

In short athiests attribute everything in thier life to themselves.

When a religious person makes a bad choice, they blame it on either thier god, or on their sinning(which in consequence thier god penalizes them).

When a religious person succeeds they see it as a gift from god, or they see it as thier god making them succeed.

Religious people attribute thier existance, successes, and failures to thier god.

See? So that explains the morals parts I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:15 am
Even if you use their definition., I'm still an atheist, as I have neither God nor morals biggrin  

Napoleon_Danneskjold

Amphex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:29 pm
It always annoyed me how people would always relate morals with religion. They're two different things.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:12 pm
This will make a few people I know very happy. They are always wishing I didn't exist. Now, apperently, I don't.  

Superior Jazz

iMito

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:39 am
Superior Jazz
This will make a few people I know very happy. They are always wishing I didn't exist. Now, apperently, I don't.

It's not a matter of the being not existing, but atheism itself.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:50 am
That makes no sense. Some people are just so stubborn to have their beliefs regin supreme that they will do anything to make it seem like everyone elses beliefs are a load of crap. 3nodding

LB-chan

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff