Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Troll Magick, or Trolling for Fun and PROFIT!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:33 pm
I posted a similar version of this in the Supernatural Forum but I think I might get some more interesting responses here. I also think you guys will be able to take away more, maybe.

Most magickians are probably aware of the idea of using one's own emotions to power a working, but what about the emotions of others that are directed toward you (and not the work specifically)? I think that with the right preparations this could be effective, even over the Internet. Imagine harnessing the Rage of the Internet for your magick? You could be doing things on the Biblical scale within a couple weeks, maybe sooner.

I think that the structure would go something like this:

1. Determine what you want to do. (The purpose of the working.)
2. Determine how you're going to do it. (Ritual, sigil, etc.)
3. Get everything set up according to the previous two steps.
4. Incite strong emotion in others, with a plan in place to direct that energy toward your purpose.
5. Finish up the working.
6. ???
7. PROFIT!!

That's a pretty bare-bones outline, but I think that any experienced magickian should be able to pull it off with some improvisation. You may ask though "How do I incite strong emotion in other people?" Well, the easiest way is to offend them somehow. Negative emotions are typically the most abundant and powerful. Ask anyone on a "Left-Hand" path.

As an extension of this, what about inciting strong emotion in other magick users? Since these people typically have more personal power than non-users, shouldn't that make them more effective batteries for your purposes? I think so. An effective way to make magick users rage is to insult whatever practice they are involved in. If they follow Wicca, mention how Gardner plagiarized Aleister Crowley. If they follow Thelema, mention how Crowley was a deviant drug addict. It doesn't really matter if what you say is particularly accurate; it just has to elicit the strong emotion.

There are most likely some better, more generally effective triggers, as these are dependent on inciting anger in a specific group. I don't think the ubiquitous "Magick isn't real," would work as that might be counterproductive to your own goals if that worms its way into your subconscious. This is just a starting point for your own ideas to blossom. It all really depends on what you want to do specifically.

Personally, I think this method could be quite effective if performed properly. What does the ORS think?

I also did a similar (but maybe more revealing) post on my blog at this address: http://patentlyparanormal.blogspot.com/2010/11/trolling-as-magickal-tool.html *shameless self-promotion*  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:22 am
I think this is a very interesting idea. If you don't mind I'd like to discuss this concept on my blog as well.

What I'm unsure of is what you mean by "finish the working". Do you mean release the spell, so to speak? Like if I used a sigil, placed it in my signature or avatar spot (depending on the forum), let people's ire charge it, if I forget its purpose would the spell not be "finished"?  

A1Saucy

Devoted Codger

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:07 pm
4shi
I think this is a very interesting idea. If you don't mind I'd like to discuss this concept on my blog as well.

What I'm unsure of is what you mean by "finish the working". Do you mean release the spell, so to speak? Like if I used a sigil, placed it in my signature or avatar spot (depending on the forum), let people's ire charge it, if I forget its purpose would the spell not be "finished"?

However you typically finish a spell. In the case of a sigil, most people feel that after it's been charged the meaning is supposed to be immediately forgotten in order for it to take hole in the subconscious and begin working. If you used something other than a sigil then you would obviously need to use a little ingenuity.

I don't mind if you use the idea on your blog but if you don't mind I'd appreciate a link to my own blog as some credit. xd  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:34 pm
Obscurus
4shi

However you typically finish a spell. In the case of a sigil, most people feel that after it's been charged the meaning is supposed to be immediately forgotten in order for it to take hole in the subconscious and begin working. If you used something other than a sigil then you would obviously need to use a little ingenuity.

I don't mind if you use the idea on your blog but if you don't mind I'd appreciate a link to my own blog as some credit. xd

Ok, glad you clarified smile Naturally I'd link back to your blog; it will be good to have people actively discussing these things in the blogosphere.  

A1Saucy

Devoted Codger

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:38 pm
4shi
Obscurus
4shi

Ok, glad you clarified smile Naturally I'd link back to your blog; it will be good to have people actively discussing these things in the blogosphere.

Discussion is always good. It breeds new ideas.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:48 pm
whoa...

I tried audio sigils. Then I tried rf-sigils by broadcasting those audiosigils over an fm radio station. The results of the latter were just weird, but some of its my fault for what I chose to test it out with.

This sounds better than even radio sigils twisted

All ye Pirates of the 13 Intarnetz, we gotta new treasure to grab! Ready the memes, arm the sigil batteries, and load them usernames into the hold! We have lulz to find, and magic to do at once!

The bridge-crossing landlubbers won't know what hit em!

PrometheanSet

Sentient Light

Friendly Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:49 am
Please let me know how that works out.. I have to know.. razz  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:25 pm
Sentient Light

I've yet to try it. I've been busy with other things lately. sweatdrop  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Sentient Light

Friendly Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:15 am
Obscurus
Sentient Light

Ah, okay then.. Well I'll keep checking back, but might possibly try it myself. xD
It sounds so deviant and like it could make raising energy incredibly easy since so many people are easily trolled.. o.o I doubt I would use it more than a few times though.. x.x  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:17 am
PrometheanSet
whoa...

I tried audio sigils. Then I tried rf-sigils by broadcasting those audiosigils over an fm radio station. The results of the latter were just weird, but some of its my fault for what I chose to test it out with.

This sounds better than even radio sigils twisted

All ye Pirates of the 13 Intarnetz, we gotta new treasure to grab! Ready the memes, arm the sigil batteries, and load them usernames into the hold! We have lulz to find, and magic to do at once!

The bridge-crossing landlubbers won't know what hit em!

Never heard of audio sigils before.. am I just out of the sigil loop? xD  

Sentient Light

Friendly Explorer

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:27 pm
Sentient Light
Obscurus
Sentient Light

Ah, okay then.. Well I'll keep checking back, but might possibly try it myself. xD
It sounds so deviant and like it could make raising energy incredibly easy since so many people are easily trolled.. o.o I doubt I would use it more than a few times though.. x.x

If you do end up using it then let me know how it turns out. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:31 am
I've done something similar in the past. A site, unrelated to gaia, kind of in the vein of post secret where people in the community it's based around make jpgs essentially trolling, sniping, and generally backstabbing each other. I didn't do it in a trolling sense, just in a 'I'm drawing energy to me to help guide my directive' sense. It was the odd duck in the bunch that week so it drew attention because it didn't match up with all of the general negativity the other entries had, and really, people didn't understand it.

I layered my intent ('I will be successful in everything i do' blahblahblah whatever it is you're attempting) in type of the same color as the background, as if to embed my intentions into the 'sigil' and then drew the sigil proper on top of it. It had positive results.

Drawing the negative energy from trolling could be REALLY powerful. I'd be hesitant about the negativity tho. If you're adept at sorting all that out, I'd go for it, but if you're at all nervous about backlash I'd put it off. Especially because in a case like that you have to have absolute clarity and intent, and that kind of uncertainty could bungle everything and leave you with a huge mess on your hands.  

notwrenja

Apocalyptic Bunny

13,100 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Heckler 50
  • Survivor 150

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:24 pm
notwrenja
I've done something similar in the past. A site, unrelated to gaia, kind of in the vein of post secret where people in the community it's based around make jpgs essentially trolling, sniping, and generally backstabbing each other. I didn't do it in a trolling sense, just in a 'I'm drawing energy to me to help guide my directive' sense. It was the odd duck in the bunch that week so it drew attention because it didn't match up with all of the general negativity the other entries had, and really, people didn't understand it.

I layered my intent ('I will be successful in everything i do' blahblahblah whatever it is you're attempting) in type of the same color as the background, as if to embed my intentions into the 'sigil' and then drew the sigil proper on top of it. It had positive results.

Drawing the negative energy from trolling could be REALLY powerful. I'd be hesitant about the negativity tho. If you're adept at sorting all that out, I'd go for it, but if you're at all nervous about backlash I'd put it off. Especially because in a case like that you have to have absolute clarity and intent, and that kind of uncertainty could bungle everything and leave you with a huge mess on your hands.

I understand the concern. I think that if you just used the raw energy to power whatever you're doing, rather than allowing the negativity to seep through (or using it for something inherently negative) you would be alright.  
The Occult Research Society

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games